Обсуждение: Exception storing ipaddress with JBoss after upgrade to 8.0-312.jdbc3

Exception storing ipaddress with JBoss after upgrade to 8.0-312.jdbc3

От
Joost Kraaijeveld
Дата:
Hi,

I am trying to store an ipaddress in a PostgreSQL column of a INET type.
This used to work with pg74.216.jdbc3 but after an upgrade to
postgresql-8.0-312.jdbc3  I get an exception:

ERROR: column "ipaddress" is of type inet but expression is of type
character varying.

The PostgreSQL log shows:

LOG:  statement: INSERT INTO accesspoint (objectId, ipAddress,
locationName, macAddress, manufacturer, serialNumber, supplier,
typeName, address) VALUES ($1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, $9)
2005-09-27 08:57:48 [12459] ERROR:  column "ipaddress" is of type inet
but expression is of type character varying
HINT:  You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.

De CMP field is defined as @jboss.jdbc-type VARCHAR and @jboss.sql-type
INET

Is this a known problem? If so, is there a known sollution (and are you
willing to share that sollution ;-))?

The suggestion about the rewrite/cast hint is not possible because this
is a CMP bean and JBoss takes care of writing that .

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
e-mail: J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl
web: www.askesis.nl

Re: Exception storing ipaddress with JBoss after upgrade to 8.0-312.jdbc3

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Joost,

The new driver uses server side prepared statements and is much more
particular about the types being sent.

You can force v2 protocol, or create a PGInet type extending PGObject

Regards,

Dave
On 27-Sep-05, at 3:06 AM, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to store an ipaddress in a PostgreSQL column of a INET
> type.
> This used to work with pg74.216.jdbc3 but after an upgrade to
> postgresql-8.0-312.jdbc3  I get an exception:
>
> ERROR: column "ipaddress" is of type inet but expression is of type
> character varying.
>
> The PostgreSQL log shows:
>
> LOG:  statement: INSERT INTO accesspoint (objectId, ipAddress,
> locationName, macAddress, manufacturer, serialNumber, supplier,
> typeName, address) VALUES ($1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, $9)
> 2005-09-27 08:57:48 [12459] ERROR:  column "ipaddress" is of type inet
> but expression is of type character varying
> HINT:  You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.
>
> De CMP field is defined as @jboss.jdbc-type VARCHAR and @jboss.sql-
> type
> INET
>
> Is this a known problem? If so, is there a known sollution (and are
> you
> willing to share that sollution ;-))?
>
> The suggestion about the rewrite/cast hint is not possible because
> this
> is a CMP bean and JBoss takes care of writing that .
>

> --
> Groeten,
>
> Joost Kraaijeveld
> Askesis B.V.
> Molukkenstraat 14
> 6524NB Nijmegen
> tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
> fax: 024-3608416
> e-mail: J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl
> web: www.askesis.nl
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Exception storing ipaddress with JBoss after upgrade to

От
Joost Kraaijeveld
Дата:
Hi Dave,

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 09:48 -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Joost,
>
> The new driver uses server side prepared statements and is much more
> particular about the types being sent.
>
> You can force v2 protocol, or create a PGInet type extending PGObject
I do not really understand why: the postgresql log file shows that the
error is happening at the backend where no Java is running (and I can
also not remember that I had to write special code in ODBC: I just send
a string with a correct ip address and the database backend converted it
to a inet, but that was long ago and I may remember wrong). All examples
in the postgresql docs (e.g. example 11-1 setting up a partial index)
where the inet type is used an ordinary string is passed to the backend.

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
e-mail: J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl
web: www.askesis.nl

Re: Exception storing ipaddress with JBoss after upgrade to

От
Oliver Jowett
Дата:
Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 09:48 -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>>The new driver uses server side prepared statements and is much more
>>particular about the types being sent.
>>
>>You can force v2 protocol, or create a PGInet type extending PGObject
>
> I do not really understand why: the postgresql log file shows that the
> error is happening at the backend where no Java is running (and I can
> also not remember that I had to write special code in ODBC: I just send
> a string with a correct ip address and the database backend converted it
> to a inet, but that was long ago and I may remember wrong). All examples
> in the postgresql docs (e.g. example 11-1 setting up a partial index)
> where the inet type is used an ordinary string is passed to the backend.

More recent JDBC drivers pass parameters via the extended query protocol
which puts the parameter value out-of-band from the query (the query
sent to the backend has a $n placeholder where you put the ? in the
query, then the parameter values are sent separately). Associated with
each parameter is a type.

Since you (or rather, JBoss) are telling the JDBC driver that the
parameter is a String, it passes the parameter as a text type.

There's no implicit cast from text to inet, so the backend complains.

It's roughly equivalent to writing out the query with the parameter as
'1.2.3.4'::text -- because the type is explicitly specified you don't
get the implicit casting of a bare string literal that you'd get
otherwise. Or similar to using PREPARE/EXECUTE.

Search the pgsql-jdbc archives for more details.

-O