Обсуждение: UNICODE and 8.0.0beta5

UNICODE and 8.0.0beta5

От
Thomas Hallgren
Дата:
Hi,
I just downloaded the PostgreSQL 8.0.0b5 and the pg80b1.308.jdbc3.jar. I
compiled, installed, and created a database from scratch (i.e. initdb
and createdb) using default's for everything. When I try to run a Java
program, I get the following exception:

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Backend start-up failed: FATAL:
invalid value for parameter "client_encoding": "UNICODE".
        at
org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.readStartupMessages(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:443)
        at
org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:98)
        at
org.postgresql.core.ConnectionFactory.openConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:63)
        at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Connection.<init>(AbstractJdbc2Connection.java:117)
        at
org.postgresql.jdbc3.AbstractJdbc3Connection.<init>(AbstractJdbc3Connection.java:30)
        at
org.postgresql.jdbc3.Jdbc3Connection.<init>(Jdbc3Connection.java:24)
        at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:183)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)

AFAIK this used to work. What has changed?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: UNICODE and 8.0.0beta5

Дата:
Thomas Hallgren <thhal@mailblocks.com> writes:
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Backend start-up failed: FATAL:
> invalid value for parameter "client_encoding": "UNICODE".

I wonder if this is the same thing as bug #1328.

What locale settings are you using?

            regards, tom lane

Re: UNICODE and 8.0.0beta5

От
Thomas Hallgren
Дата:
Tom,

>I wonder if this is the same thing as bug #1328.

It might well be, see below.

>What locale settings are you using?

Everything is "en_US".

I've done some more trial and error without success. I can conclude that:

a) This only happens on my Linux platform (i.e. not on Windows).
b) Running psql and doing a "SET client_encoding TO 'UNICODE'" works fine.

Perhaps this is related to the fact that I'm using AMD64 in some way?

# select version()
 PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta5 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc
(GCC) 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: UNICODE and 8.0.0beta5

Дата:
Thomas Hallgren <thhal@mailblocks.com> writes:
>> What locale settings are you using?
>>
> Everything is "en_US".

Ah, grumble ... now I see it here :-(.  It looks like I broke this while
fooling with superuser GUC options last week.  Will fix.

            regards, tom lane

Re: UNICODE and 8.0.0beta5

От
Thomas Hallgren
Tom Lane wrote:

>Ah, grumble ... now I see it here :-(.  It looks like I broke this while
>fooling with superuser GUC options last week.  Will fix.

Using the current CVS HEAD the problem is gone. Thanks.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren