Обсуждение: int4/int8 problem with jdbc was Re: "Fix" for INT8 literals being parsed as INT4 disqualifying

hi all,

i have some problems with my java app and int8 pks. i browsed the
mail-archives and found the

following mail thread

the last statement was:

applied soon. But it will *not* be in the 7.4 stable branch. It will
be fixed in head of tree. Since it will break existing code I didn't
want to add it to 7.4 in the middle of beta, or now that 7.4 is RC1.

</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

full text of the mail i'm referring to:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2003-11/msg00057.php

has this been already adressed in the HEAD for the jdbc-driver?
because i loaded it from

gborg via cvs and the problem still persists.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgjdbc/projdisplay.php

tia,

jan

hi all,

i have some problems with my java app and int8 pks. i browsed the
mail-archives and found the
following mail thread Re: "Fix" for INT8 literals being parsed as INT4
disqualifying
the last statement was:

That patch will be applied soon. But it will *not* be in the 7.4 stable
branch. It will be fixed in head of tree. Since it will break existing
code I didn't want to add it to 7.4 in the middle of beta, or now that
7.4 is RC1.

full text of the mail i'm referring to:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2003-11/msg00057.php

has this been already adressed in the HEAD for the jdbc-driver? because
i loaded it from
gborg via cvs and the problem still persists.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgjdbc/projdisplay.php

tia,

jan

Re: int4/int8 problem with jdbc was Re: "Fix" for INT8 literals

От
Oliver Jowett
Jan Heise wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have some problems with my java app and int8 pks. i browsed the
> mail-archives and found the
> following mail thread *Re: "Fix" for INT8 literals being parsed as INT4
> disqualifying*
> the last statement was:
>
> That patch will be applied soon. But it will *not* be in the 7.4 stable
> branch. It will be fixed in head of tree. Since it will break existing
> code I didn't want to add it to 7.4 in the middle of beta, or now that
> 7.4 is RC1.
>
> full text of the mail i'm referring to:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2003-11/msg00057.php
>
> has this been already adressed in the HEAD for the jdbc-driver? because
> i loaded it from
> gborg via cvs and the problem still persists.

I don't believe the patch in question ever got applied.

The 7.5 server doesn't suffer from the same "type mismatch prevents use
of an index" problem, I believe. Or you could add an explicit ::int8
cast to your query.

My v3 protocol changes should fix this against a 7.4 server, but they're
some distance away from making it into the official driver at the moment.

-O

Re: int4/int8 problem with jdbc was Re: "Fix" for INT8 literals

От
Jan Heise
Дата:
oliver, thanks for your reply.

the db in question is a 7.4 site in production. upgrading to another
version is not really what i'd like
to do. the explicit cast is problematic too, i'm using hibernate as my
orm. unless i missed something
in the docs, i can not add the cast to the config - but this is sth.
for the hibernate forums.

the problem is a special case where i have to load objects from the
table in question by the pk
(details would be quite long, but i can not change the table-structure
at this time). table size is
approx. 120 million rows and approx 2 million rows have a pk <
INT4_MAX. so i think my only
option is dropping the foreign keys, making the pks and all references
bigger than INT4_MAX
and recreate the fk.

jan

Am 02.06.2004 um 13:16 schrieb Oliver Jowett:

> Jan Heise wrote:
>> hi all,
>> i have some problems with my java app and int8 pks. i browsed the
>> mail-archives and found the
>> following mail thread *Re: "Fix" for INT8 literals being parsed as
>> INT4 disqualifying*
>> the last statement was:
>> That patch will be applied soon. But it will *not* be in the 7.4
>> stable branch. It will be fixed in head of tree. Since it will break
>> existing code I didn't want to add it to 7.4 in the middle of beta,
>> or now that 7.4 is RC1.
>> full text of the mail i'm referring to:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2003-11/msg00057.php
>> has this been already adressed in the HEAD for the jdbc-driver?
>> because i loaded it from
>> gborg via cvs and the problem still persists.
>
> I don't believe the patch in question ever got applied.
>
> The 7.5 server doesn't suffer from the same "type mismatch prevents
> use of an index" problem, I believe. Or you could add an explicit
> ::int8 cast to your query.
>
> My v3 protocol changes should fix this against a 7.4 server, but
> they're some distance away from making it into the official driver at
> the moment.
>
> -O

Re: int4/int8 problem with jdbc was Re: "Fix" for INT8 literals

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 02/06/2004 12:47 Jan Heise wrote:
> oliver, thanks for your reply.
>
> the db in question is a 7.4 site in production. upgrading to another
> version is not really what i'd like
> to do. the explicit cast is problematic too, i'm using hibernate as my
> orm. unless i missed something
> in the docs, i can not add the cast to the config - but this is sth. for
> the hibernate forums.
>
> the problem is a special case where i have to load objects from the
> table in question by the pk
> (details would be quite long, but i can not change the table-structure
> at this time). table size is
> approx. 120 million rows and approx 2 million rows have a pk < INT4_MAX.
> so i think my only
> option is dropping the foreign keys, making the pks and all references
> bigger than INT4_MAX
> and recreate the fk.
>
> jan

There's an unofficial patch:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2003-09/msg00143.php

which might solve your problems for now. IIRC, there's a server-side patch
been submitted which will solve the int4/int8 issue and may be 7.5.

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: int4/int8 problem with jdbc was Re: "Fix" for INT8 literals

От
Jan Heise
Дата:
Thanks for your help,

for this special case I patched the JDBC-driver to wrap setInt and
setLong to use setString instead.

Jan