Обсуждение: SSL without verifying server certificate

SSL without verifying server certificate

От
Oliver Nolden
Дата:
Hi everyone,

I want to realize a secure database connection with jdbc and SSL between an applet and a postgres database 7.4. The driver pg74jdbc3.jar supports SSL, I created the server certificates with OpenSSL. The postgres server works fine with ssl. To establish a ssl connection with the client, you have to import the self-signed certificate to the client`s machine.

Now my question: Is it possible to establish a ssl connection without  importing the server certificate to the client machine? i.e. that the jdbc driver does not verify the self-signed server certificate? Thereby I could use the applet on every computer.

Is there a version of the postgres jdbc driver, which allows a ssl connection without verifying the server certificate? Or is it possible to modify the source code of the current postgres jdbc driver, so that the jdbc driver does not verify the server certicate and allow ssl conection?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Oliver

Mit schönen Grüßen von Yahoo! Mail.
Für die Bilder Ihrer Lieben - Yahoo! Fotos - kostenlos!

Re: SSL without verifying server certificate

От
Oliver Jowett
Дата:
Oliver Nolden wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to realize a secure database connection with jdbc and SSL
> between an applet and a postgres database 7.4. The driver pg74jdbc3.jar
> supports SSL, I created the server certificates with OpenSSL. The
> postgres server works fine with ssl. To establish a ssl connection with
> the client, you have to import the self-signed certificate to the
> client`s machine.
>
> Now my question: Is it possible to establish a ssl connection without
> importing the server certificate to the client machine? i.e. that
> the jdbc driver does not verify the self-signed server certificate?
> Thereby I could use the applet on every computer.

If you do this, you become vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks.
Might as well just use an unencrypted connection in the first place.

-O

Re: SSL without verifying server certificate

От
d.wall@computer.org
Дата:
 > If you do this, you become vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks.
Might as well just use an unencrypted connection > in the first place.

Well, a man-in-the-middle attack is non-trivial since it typically means
stealing a domain name.  And with an encrypted channel, at least
userid/passwords are nicely encrypted as is the data in the database.  I
think a simple sniffer type attack is far easier.  But you are right
that having the client import the cert (or using a well-known CA signed
cert) is preferable.

David

Re: SSL without verifying server certificate

От
Kris Jurka

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, [iso-8859-1] Oliver Nolden wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>  I want to realize a secure database connection with jdbc and SSL
> between an applet and a postgres database 7.4. The driver
> pg74jdbc3.jar supports SSL, I created the server certificates with
> OpenSSL. The postgres server works fine with ssl. To establish a ssl
> connection with the client, you have to import the self-signed
> certificate to the client`s machine.

Java's ssl implementation requires authenticating the server I believe.
I think a better question to ask would be if there was any way to
programmatically supply the server's certificate instead of having to
import it into the cert.  Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that
question.

Kris Jurka

Re: SSL without verifying server certificate

От
"Chris Smith"
Дата:
Kris Jurka wrote:
> Java's ssl implementation requires authenticating the server I
> believe. I think a better question to ask would be if there was any
> way to programmatically supply the server's certificate instead of
> having to import it into the cert.  Unfortunately I don't know the
> answer to that question.

IIRC, the place to look in modern versions of the J2SDK is
javax.net.X509TrustManager.  You can specify an X509TrustManager when you call
SSLContext.init.  You'd then need to get an SSLSocketFactory from that
SSLContext and finally create a socket using that SocketFactory.

Currently, org.postgresql.Driver.makeSSL obtains a default SSLSocketFactory by
calling the static method SSLSocketFactory.getDefault().  What we'd ideally do
here is leave that default in place, but allow a client to specify a different
SSLSocketFactory somehow.  All the dealing with X509TrustManager and
SSLContext could be left to the application code, since the right way to do it
is highly app-specific and security-sensitive.

Any opinions on the best way to specify that SSLSocketFactory?  Sticking with
URL parameters is unworkable, since we would like to specify a specific
instance obtained from the SSLContext, *not* a class name for a whole set of
these things.  We could add a method to Driver or to PGConnection, perhaps?

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Re: SSL without verifying server certificate

От
Oliver Nolden
Дата:
 --- Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com> schrieb: >
Oliver Nolden wrote:

Thank for your answer. You're rigth, but for me the
authentication of the server is not important,
I only want a secure connection between applet and
database.

In the meantime I solved my problem: I modified the
postgres jdbc driver "pg74jdbc3", so that I can use it
for SSL connection without verifyinf the server
certificate, So I dont't have to import the server
certificate on the client machine. Now I can use the
applet on every machine.

If somebody is interested in, I could send him the
modified driver.

OLiver

Mit schönen Grüßen von Yahoo! Mail - http://mail.yahoo.de