Обсуждение: UNICODE and JDBC Driver

UNICODE and JDBC Driver

От
"David Beardsley"
Дата:
I'm working on a project where we need to be able to support characters such
as trademark, copyright and various accents.

Initially our database was created with the SQL character encoding. Data was
entered using an access database connected by ODBC and everything was fine.
The characters show correctly in the Access application.

However, the web portion using the JDBC driver cannot display these
characters and has all sorts of problems. DB Visualizer also complains.

Consequently we dumped the database contents, recreated it with the UNICODE
character set and restored the contents. Now the database and the JDBC
driver are both using UNICODE but it still doesn't work.

We're despairing that we'll have to tell our client they can't use extended
characters. Please tell me this is not the case! Help!!!

Re: UNICODE and JDBC Driver

От
Jim Wright
Дата:
David Beardsley wrote:

>I'm working on a project where we need to be able to support characters such
>as trademark, copyright and various accents.
>
>Initially our database was created with the SQL character encoding. Data was
>entered using an access database connected by ODBC and everything was fine.
>The characters show correctly in the Access application.
>
>However, the web portion using the JDBC driver cannot display these
>characters and has all sorts of problems. DB Visualizer also complains.
>
>Consequently we dumped the database contents, recreated it with the UNICODE
>character set and restored the contents. Now the database and the JDBC
>driver are both using UNICODE but it still doesn't work.
>
>We're despairing that we'll have to tell our client they can't use extended
>characters. Please tell me this is not the case! Help!!!

It's not the case ;-)

You mentioned a web portion. You should test without this first.

In order to the get the web portion working you need to establish
or guess HTTP request encodings and set a response encoding
and the browser needs to support it. It's not easy actually.

Regards,

Jim Wright.