Обсуждение: jdbc cursor positioning

jdbc cursor positioning

От
"G.Nagarajan"
Дата:
hi,
I am trying to implement "page wise" selection of rows
from a table. The table contains around 10000 rows and
I will be displaying only 10 rows at a time. At any time
I might have to display say the 5th page or 45th page etc.
After searching in the archives, I came across this solution:

<sample>
c.setAutoCommit (false);
Statement stmt = c.createStatement ();
stmt.execute ("declare " + CURSOR_NAME + " cursor for select * from
huge_table");
stmt.close ();
PreparedStatement fetch = c.prepareStatement ("fetch ? from " +
CURSOR_NAME);
PreparedStatement move  = c.prepareStatement ("move ? in " + CURSOR_NAME);

fetch.setInt (1, 100);
ResultSet rs = fetch.executeQuery ();
fetch.setInt (1, -100);
rs = fetch.executeQuery ();

move.setInt (200);
int actuallyMoved = move.executeUpdate ();

if (actuallyMoved < 200)
    System.out.println ("Less then 200 rows in cursor");
c.commit (); //Will also close the cursor(s)...
</sample>

The statement "move? ..." gives an error if executed. This command gives not
results and therefore I cannot use a executeUpdate() with it. It tells that
the update  count could not be determined. So my questions are

 1-> has the cursor been actually moved irrespective of the error?
 2-> are there any other ways of positioning the cursor.
 3-> is there any way by which i can know what is the current position?

Obviously i can give fetch() n times, but if the user selects the 400th
page then the driver will retrieve 400*10 records!

any suggestions are most welcome,

Regards,
Nagarajan.

Re: jdbc cursor positioning

От
Toby
Дата:
as i understand it, postgres doesn't yet support cursors. however, with the LIMIT and OFFSET modifiers in a SELECt you can get the same behaviour.

<fields> is the fields to select
<recsPerPage> is an integer 1..n for the number of records per page.
<offset> is calculated as ((page - 1) * recsPerPage) where the page number is 1..n

make sure you order your select by something, else the records in a page may not quite make sense.

toby

Re: jdbc cursor positioning

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
No, postgres fully supports cursors, the problem must be somewhere else.

Dave
On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 15:27, Toby wrote:
> as i understand it, postgres doesn't yet support cursors. however, with the
> LIMIT and OFFSET modifiers in a SELECt you can get the same behaviour.

> OFFSET <offset>
>
> <fields> is the fields to select
> <recsPerPage> is an integer 1..n for the number of records per page.
> <offset> is calculated as ((page - 1) * recsPerPage) where the page number
> is 1..n
>
> make sure you order your select by something, else the records in a page
> may not quite make sense.
>
> toby

Re: jdbc cursor positioning

От
"David Wall"
Дата:
> No, postgres fully supports cursors, the problem must be somewhere else.

How do you make use of them from JDBC?

David

Re: jdbc cursor positioning

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
This is a sample program which uses cursors

      con = getConnection();
      con.setAutoCommit( false );
      Statement stmt = con.createStatement();

      int result = stmt.executeUpdate( "declare test cursor for select *
from orders" );
      System.out.println( "Created cursor, result is " + result );
      result = stmt.executeUpdate( "move 0 in dave");
      result = stmt.executeUpdate( "move -"+result+"in dave");

      for(;;)
      {
    rs = stmt.executeQuery("fetch forward 5 in test");
        if ( !rs.next() )
      break;
      }

      while(rs.next()){
        System.out.println("Id -->" + rs.getObject(1).toString());
      }
      rs.close();
      con.commit();
      con.close();

Dave
On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 22:57, David Wall wrote:
> > No, postgres fully supports cursors, the problem must be somewhere else.
>
> How do you make use of them from JDBC?
>
> David

Re: jdbc cursor positioning

От
"G.Nagarajan"
Дата:
hi Dave,

I get the following error when I execute the program

 Caught Exception: Kann Anzahl der veränderten Zeilen nicht ermitteln: MOVE
Kann Anzahl der veränderten Zeilen nicht ermitteln: MOVE
        at
org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.receiveCommandStatus(QueryExecutor.java:18
2)
        at org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:80)
        at org.postgresql.Connection.ExecSQL(Connection.java:398)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc2.Statement.execute(Statement.java:130)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc2.Statement.executeUpdate(Statement.java:73)
        at fz.core.database.CursorTest.main(CursorTest.java:23)

It tells that it cannot determine the number of modified rows.

I am using Postgresql 7.1.3 and 7.2 jdbc driver. I will check with the beta
driver and see
if the error goes away.

Regards,
Nagarajan.

Re: jdbc cursor positioning

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Sorry,

I should have taken the move lines out, there is no way to tell if they
succeed.

Dave
On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 12:51, G.Nagarajan wrote:
> hi Dave,
>
> I get the following error when I execute the program
>
>  Caught Exception: Kann Anzahl der veränderten Zeilen nicht ermitteln: MOVE
> Kann Anzahl der veränderten Zeilen nicht ermitteln: MOVE
>         at
> org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.receiveCommandStatus(QueryExecutor.java:18
> 2)
>         at org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:80)
>         at org.postgresql.Connection.ExecSQL(Connection.java:398)
>         at org.postgresql.jdbc2.Statement.execute(Statement.java:130)
>         at org.postgresql.jdbc2.Statement.executeUpdate(Statement.java:73)
>         at fz.core.database.CursorTest.main(CursorTest.java:23)
>
> It tells that it cannot determine the number of modified rows.
>
> I am using Postgresql 7.1.3 and 7.2 jdbc driver. I will check with the beta
> driver and see
> if the error goes away.
>
> Regards,
> Nagarajan.

Re: jdbc cursor positioning

От
"G.Nagarajan"
Дата:
I was trying to figure out a way to retrieve
a particular set of rows from the cursor. If I have
10,000 rows and need to take only the records between
5600 and 5700, "MOVE" would have been ideal. Using "FETCH"
would mean that the 5600 records have to be transferred
from the server. so I guess the only option left is to
use the offset and limit options in the query.

Thanks,
Nagarajan.

Re: jdbc cursor positioning

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Well, move works, it's just that it doesn't return anything usefull to
let you know where it moved to!

Dave