Обсуждение: EXPLAIN via jdbc

EXPLAIN via jdbc

От
"Michael Paesold"
Дата:
Hi,

we are currently evaluating postgres for a commercial project. To get a clue
about how well the jdbc driver works for us, I wrote a simple java app that
can display query results.
Then I tried to add EXPLAIN support to it, so I could see the result of
EXPLAIN SELECT * ... simultaniously. That is when I got stuck.

I can't find a way to get the result from EXPLAIN queries through jdbc. I
first tried to do it by executeQuery("EXPLAIN ..."), but that would not
return a result set. Also using execute() helped, not even getWarnings()
helped..

I there any way to get the result from an EXPLAIN query?
Any help would be appreciated!

Michael

--
Michael Paesold, Austria/Europe

Re: EXPLAIN via jdbc

От
Jochem van Dieten
Дата:
Michael Paesold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are currently evaluating postgres for a commercial project. To get a clue
> about how well the jdbc driver works for us, I wrote a simple java app that
> can display query results.
> Then I tried to add EXPLAIN support to it, so I could see the result of
> EXPLAIN SELECT * ... simultaniously. That is when I got stuck.
>
> I can't find a way to get the result from EXPLAIN queries through jdbc. I
> first tried to do it by executeQuery("EXPLAIN ..."), but that would not
> return a result set. Also using execute() helped, not even getWarnings()
> helped..
>
> I there any way to get the result from an EXPLAIN query?

If I read the development documentation correctly, the next version of
PostgreSQL will return EXPLAIN output as a recordset instead of a NOTICE.

HTH,
Jochem

Re: EXPLAIN via jdbc

От
"Michael Paesold"
Дата:
Jochem van Dieten wrote:

> Michael Paesold wrote:
[snip]
> > I there any way to get the result from an EXPLAIN query?
>
> If I read the development documentation correctly, the next version of
> PostgreSQL will return EXPLAIN output as a recordset instead of a NOTICE.
>
> HTH,
> Jochem

So that means that I have to wait. Is it not possible to fetch the NOTICEs?
Returning a result set seems to be more standard, the other dbs I tried
recently (MySQL, SAP DB) do so.
Thanks anyway.

Regards,
Michael

Re: EXPLAIN via jdbc

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
The notices should be in the warnings, you may need to use the
development version of the driver for this to be true.

Dave
On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 09:15, Jochem van Dieten wrote:
> Michael Paesold wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we are currently evaluating postgres for a commercial project. To get a clue
> > about how well the jdbc driver works for us, I wrote a simple java app that
> > can display query results.
> > Then I tried to add EXPLAIN support to it, so I could see the result of
> > EXPLAIN SELECT * ... simultaniously. That is when I got stuck.
> >
> > I can't find a way to get the result from EXPLAIN queries through jdbc. I
> > first tried to do it by executeQuery("EXPLAIN ..."), but that would not
> > return a result set. Also using execute() helped, not even getWarnings()
> > helped..
> >
> > I there any way to get the result from an EXPLAIN query?
>
> If I read the development documentation correctly, the next version of
> PostgreSQL will return EXPLAIN output as a recordset instead of a NOTICE.
>
> HTH,
> Jochem

Re: EXPLAIN via jdbc

От
"Michael Paesold"
Дата:
Dave Cramer wrote:

> The notices should be in the warnings, you may need to use the
> development version of the driver for this to be true.
>
> Dave
> On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 09:15, Jochem van Dieten wrote:
> > Michael Paesold wrote:
[snip]
> > > I there any way to get the result from an EXPLAIN query?
> >
> > If I read the development documentation correctly, the next version of
> > PostgreSQL will return EXPLAIN output as a recordset instead of a
NOTICE.

> > HTH,
> > Jochem

I tried to use devpgjdbc2.jar (7.3dev (built 2002-07-16)). I still don't get
the explain notices in getWarnings(). Regrettably I don't have the time to
look into the code right now.

Regards,
Michael

Re: EXPLAIN via jdbc

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
I just tried a 7.2.1 backend with the same code, and the notices come
back in the warning???

dave
On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 10:27, Michael Paesold wrote:
> Dave Cramer wrote:
>
> > The notices should be in the warnings, you may need to use the
> > development version of the driver for this to be true.
> >
> > Dave
> > On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 09:15, Jochem van Dieten wrote:
> > > Michael Paesold wrote:
> [snip]
> > >
> > > If I read the development documentation correctly, the next version of
> > > PostgreSQL will return EXPLAIN output as a recordset instead of a
> NOTICE.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Jochem
>
> I tried to use devpgjdbc2.jar (7.3dev (built 2002-07-16)). I still don't get
> the explain notices in getWarnings(). Regrettably I don't have the time to
> look into the code right now.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

Re: EXPLAIN via jdbc

От
"Michael Paesold"
Дата:
Dave Cramer wrote:

> I just tried a 7.2.1 backend with the same code, and the notices come
> back in the warning???
>
> dave
> On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 10:27, Michael Paesold wrote:
> > Dave Cramer wrote:
> >
> > > The notices should be in the warnings, you may need to use the
> > > development version of the driver for this to be true.
> > >
> > > Dave
> > [snip]

> > NOTICE.

> > I tried to use devpgjdbc2.jar (7.3dev (built 2002-07-16)). I still don't
get
> > the explain notices in getWarnings(). Regrettably I don't have the time
> > look into the code right now.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michael

I am sorry, that was my mistake. Thanks for your help Dave, reading
your code I recognized that I had called Statement.getWarnings() instead
of Connection.getWarnings().
Changing that helped.

Thanks again!

Michael