Обсуждение: Lifespan of temporary table

Lifespan of temporary table

От
"Mihai Gheorghiu"
Дата:
It is my understanding from the PG documentation that a temporary table
lasts until the end of the session.
When using jdbc, which one of
Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(...)
or
PreparedStatement sql = con.prepareStatement(...)
actually opens a connection to the PG server?
What if I'm using poolmanager? When will the table be removed? (Because if
session==connection, con.close() in my servlet just returns the connection
to the pool, but the PG server sees the session still open.)
Thank you all.

Re: Lifespan of temporary table

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Mihai,

Your assumption is correct, the temp table will not be removed until the
connection is really closed.

Dave
On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 13:54, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
> It is my understanding from the PG documentation that a temporary table
> lasts until the end of the session.
> When using jdbc, which one of
> Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(...)
> or
> PreparedStatement sql = con.prepareStatement(...)
> actually opens a connection to the PG server?
> What if I'm using poolmanager? When will the table be removed? (Because if
> session==connection, con.close() in my servlet just returns the connection
> to the pool, but the PG server sees the session still open.)
> Thank you all.

Re: Lifespan of temporary table

От
"Mihai Gheorghiu"
Дата:
Thank you very much.
So, if I want to save disk space on the PG server, I should execute a DROP
TABLE before closing the servlet connection to the poolmanager.
What method of PreparedStatement should I use: execute() or executeUpdate()?

>Mihai,
>
>Your assumption is correct, the temp table will not be removed until the
>connection is really closed.
>
>Dave
>On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 13:54, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
>> It is my understanding from the PG documentation that a temporary table
>> lasts until the end of the session.
>> When using jdbc, which one of
>> Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(...)
>> or
>> PreparedStatement sql = con.prepareStatement(...)
>> actually opens a connection to the PG server?
>> What if I'm using poolmanager? When will the table be removed? (Because
if
>> session==connection, con.close() in my servlet just returns the
connection
>> to the pool, but the PG server sees the session still open.)
>> Thank you all.
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster