Обсуждение: And the error comes from ...

And the error comes from ...

От
"Mihai Gheorghiu"
Дата:
PG7.1.3 on RH7.1; Tomcat4.0.3, jdk1.4.0 on RH7.2 on another box.
When I run a particular query, catalina.out lists the following exception:
java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: ltsWriteBlock: failed to write block 40984 of
temporary file
Perhaps out of disk space?
Does this error reflect the problem on the web server computer, or on the
backend (PG computer)?
Thank you all.
Mihai Gheorghiu

Re: And the error comes from ...

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Certainly nothing to do with the jdbc driver.

Dave
On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 14:51, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
> PG7.1.3 on RH7.1; Tomcat4.0.3, jdk1.4.0 on RH7.2 on another box.
> When I run a particular query, catalina.out lists the following exception:
> java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: ltsWriteBlock: failed to write block 40984 of
> temporary file
> Perhaps out of disk space?
> Does this error reflect the problem on the web server computer, or on the
> backend (PG computer)?
> Thank you all.
> Mihai Gheorghiu

Re: And the error comes from ...

От
David Garnier
Дата:
I've already seen this error. At first I though that this was some other problem than disk space because the server had
somethinglike 500M of free space. Finally, I monitored the diskspace with df during the execution of the query, and my
querydid actually filled the whole 500M.

Best regards,
David Garnier

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:51:56 -0400
"Mihai Gheorghiu" <tanethq@earthlink.net> wrote:

> PG7.1.3 on RH7.1; Tomcat4.0.3, jdk1.4.0 on RH7.2 on another box.
> When I run a particular query, catalina.out lists the following exception:
> java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: ltsWriteBlock: failed to write block 40984 of
> temporary file
> Perhaps out of disk space?
> Does this error reflect the problem on the web server computer, or on the
> backend (PG computer)?
> Thank you all.
> Mihai Gheorghiu

Re: And the error comes from ...

От
"Mihai Gheorghiu"
Дата:
Thanks, everybody.
It looks like my /var partition is 91% full. The server came pre-configured,
while the /usr partition is used only 50%, and it won't grow. Can someone,
please, recommend me a (safe :-) Linux utility that can reallocate disk
space between partitions - if it exists?
Thank again,
Mihai Gheorghiu

>Certainly nothing to do with the jdbc driver.
>
>Dave
>On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 14:51, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
>> PG7.1.3 on RH7.1; Tomcat4.0.3, jdk1.4.0 on RH7.2 on another box.
>> When I run a particular query, catalina.out lists the following
exception:
>> java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: ltsWriteBlock: failed to write block 40984
of
>> temporary file
>> Perhaps out of disk space?
>> Does this error reflect the problem on the web server computer, or on the
>> backend (PG computer)?
>> Thank you all.
>> Mihai Gheorghiu

>> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

>http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: And the error comes from ...

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 05:31:44PM -0400, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
> Thanks, everybody.
> It looks like my /var partition is 91% full. The server came pre-configured,
> while the /usr partition is used only 50%, and it won't grow. Can someone,
> please, recommend me a (safe :-) Linux utility that can reallocate disk
> space between partitions - if it exists?

I don't think that's a good idea.

You could link your data area into /usr/local.  Here's how.

1.    Shut down your database.
2.    cp -Rp /var/path/to/data/area /usr/local/new/data/area
3.    rm -r /var/path/to/data/area
4.    ln -s /usr/local/new/data/area /var/path/to/data/area

Now you should be able to start up as though everything is the same.

Alternatively, you could just reconfigure postgres to think that it
lives in a different data area.  That's more standard, but it might
break some scripts you have or something.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: And the error comes from ...

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Just move the database directory somewhere else

Dave