Обсуждение: insert blocking?

insert blocking?

От
Haug Bürger
Дата:
Hi,

i use a prepared statement to insert a new record. Is it possible
that an insert blocks? In other words can the
myInsertStmt.executeUpdate() call block?

thanks
    Haug

Re: insert blocking?

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Haug,

you will need to execute the insert within a transaction to get the
insert to block

ie:
con.setAutoCommit(false)
execute("begin; lock table")
executeUpdate("insert ...."
con.commit()

Dave

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 05:36, Haug Bürger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i use a prepared statement to insert a new record. Is it possible
> that an insert blocks? In other words can the
> myInsertStmt.executeUpdate() call block?
>
> thanks
>     Haug

Re: insert blocking?

От
Haug Bürger
Дата:
Hi Dave,

from your answer i get the impression that PostgreSQL uses record
locking by default.
Do you know how to find out how the DB is configured?

Thanks
    Haug

Dave Cramer wrote:

>Haug,
>
>you will need to execute the insert within a transaction to get the
>insert to block
>
>ie:
>con.setAutoCommit(false)
>execute("begin; ___lock table___")
>executeUpdate("insert ...."
>con.commit()
>
>Dave

Re: insert blocking?

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Hi Haug,

I didn't mean to give that impression. record locking is not on by
default. It is the jdbc driver that has autocommit on by default.

This still doesn't change the fact that you have to do a locked insert
within a transaction.

Dave