Обсуждение: driver fails to handle strings in query statements properly

driver fails to handle strings in query statements properly

От
Lora Goldston
Дата:
    I am using jdbc7.0-1.2.jar.  I am getting a "No class found for
unkown" when I use strings in my query statements such as 'Container'
seen in the query below.  These queries work fine when I use Oracle or
MySQL.  This looks like a bug to me.  I can work around  this by
explicitly casting the string in the query statement like:
 'Container'::varchar.

*****************Inside LDMSQLPLUGIN About to query db ----> select
container_20_ft_qty AS QTY_OH, 'Container' AS NOMENCLATURE from
ue_summary_mtmc
 where uic = 'WAQJAA'
 EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I caught an exception on resultSet.getObject(i + 1) -->
Container
No class found for unknown.
        at org.postgresql.Connection.getObject(Connection.java:621)
        at org.postgresql.jdbc2.ResultSet.getObject(ResultSet.java:741)
        at
org.cougaar.domain.mlm.plugin.ldm.LDMSQLPlugIn.executeSQL(LDMSQLPlugIn.java:432
)

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance,

Lora Goldston

Re: driver fails to handle strings in query statements properly

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
This is coming back from the backend as type unknown. If the single
quotes are removed it works ok?

I suppose we could return it as a string when we are in doubt? Is this
reasonable since there are many other types it should be returned as?

Dave

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: driver fails to handle strings in query statements properly

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Dave,

My thoughts as well.  If we encounter an 'unknown' type, just return it
as a String.  Do you have time to fix this?

As a work around using an explicit cast should also work:
select container_20_ft_qty AS QTY_OH, 'Container'::text AS NOMENCLATURE
from ue_summary_mtmc where uic = 'WAQJAA'

thanks,
--Barry

Dave Cramer wrote:

> This is coming back from the backend as type unknown. If the single
> quotes are removed it works ok?
>
> I suppose we could return it as a string when we are in doubt? Is this
> reasonable since there are many other types it should be returned as?
>
> Dave

Дата:
Barry Lind <barry@xythos.com> writes:
> My thoughts as well.  If we encounter an 'unknown' type, just return it
> as a String.  Do you have time to fix this?

>> I suppose we could return it as a string when we are in doubt? Is this
>> reasonable since there are many other types it should be returned as?

The backend will presently default to treating 'unknown' as type 'text'
if it hasn't got any better idea what to do, so I think it's reasonable
for JDBC to do likewise.

I believe the only case in which you could see 'unknown' reported as a
query result type is if a string literal is SELECTed without any
processing being done on it, viz

    SELECT 'foo'

As soon as the literal is passed to a function or operator, sorted,
grouped, etc, the system will insist on resolving it to a non-unknown
type.  If the usage context doesn't provide any other hint, 'text' will
be the chosen type.

            regards, tom lane

Re: driver fails to handle strings in query statements properly

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Ok, sounds good, I have time and will take care of it.

Dave Cramer wrote:

> This is coming back from the backend as type unknown. If the single
> quotes are removed it works ok?
>
> I suppose we could return it as a string when we are in doubt? Is this

> reasonable since there are many other types it should be returned as?
>
> Dave

-->

majordomo@postgresql.org

Re: driver fails to handle strings in query statements properly

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
I tried it on a table which id was an int

Using "select 'id' as xxx from ..." Returns xxx as an unknown type
Using "select id as xxx from... " returns xxx as an int

I have no idea how the backend handles this, but if it can figure it out
in one instance why can't it figure it out when I put single quotes
around it?

Dave

> My thoughts as well.  If we encounter an 'unknown' type, just return
> it
> as a String.  Do you have time to fix this?

>> I suppose we could return it as a string when we are in doubt? Is
>> this reasonable since there are many other types it should be
>> returned as?

The backend will presently default to treating 'unknown' as type 'text'
if it hasn't got any better idea what to do, so I think it's reasonable
for JDBC to do likewise.

I believe the only case in which you could see 'unknown' reported as a
query result type is if a string literal is SELECTed without any
processing being done on it, viz

    SELECT 'foo'

As soon as the literal is passed to a function or operator, sorted,
grouped, etc, the system will insist on resolving it to a non-unknown
type.  If the usage context doesn't provide any other hint, 'text' will
be the chosen type.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: driver fails to handle strings in query statements properly

Дата:
"Dave Cramer" <Dave@micro-automation.net> writes:
> I tried it on a table which id was an int
> Using "select 'id' as xxx from ..." Returns xxx as an unknown type
> Using "select id as xxx from... " returns xxx as an int
> I have no idea how the backend handles this, but if it can figure it out
> in one instance why can't it figure it out when I put single quotes
> around it?

Uh ... when you put single quotes around it, it's a literal, not
a column reference ... and whatever one might think about 'id',
it's certainly not an integer.

            regards, tom lane

Re: driver fails to handle strings in query statements properly

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
As I said, I have no idea how the backend handles it when it is quoted.
You mention that it's not a column reference, but it does get data from
the id column?

Dave

> I tried it on a table which id was an int
> Using "select 'id' as xxx from ..." Returns xxx as an unknown type
> Using "select id as xxx from... " returns xxx as an int I have no idea

> how the backend handles this, but if it can figure it out in one
> instance why can't it figure it out when I put single quotes around
> it?

Uh ... when you put single quotes around it, it's a literal, not a
column reference ... and whatever one might think about 'id', it's
certainly not an integer.

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: driver fails to handle strings in query statements properly (ignore my last post)

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Ok, I need some sleep, now I see what it does, which is probably not
what the user wanted, but I have fixed the driver to it doesn't throw an
exception.

Dave

> I tried it on a table which id was an int
> Using "select 'id' as xxx from ..." Returns xxx as an unknown type
> Using "select id as xxx from... " returns xxx as an int I have no idea

> how the backend handles this, but if it can figure it out in one
> instance why can't it figure it out when I put single quotes around
> it?

Uh ... when you put single quotes around it, it's a literal, not a
column reference ... and whatever one might think about 'id', it's
certainly not an integer.

http://archives.postgresql.org

Serialize

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
While fixing the handling of "unknown" data type in the result set I was
faced with wading through the Serialize code.

I am wondering if this is really a required/desireable feature?

How many people out there are actually using it?

Do we need/want it?

My thoughts are:

1) There are plenty of persistence layers which do this job much better.

2) I don't think this belongs in a driver.
3) The code will be simpler.

Dave

Re: Serialize

От
Tony Grant
Дата:
On Fri, 2001-10-05 at 14:57, Dave Cramer wrote:
> While fixing the handling of "unknown" data type in the result set I was
> faced with wading through the Serialize code.
>
> I am wondering if this is really a required/desireable feature?
>
> How many people out there are actually using it?
>
> Do we need/want it?
>
> My thoughts are:
>
> 1) There are plenty of persistence layers which do this job much better.
>
> 2) I don't think this belongs in a driver.
> 3) The code will be simpler.

How do I do a database request via JDBC and save the result set to a
text file on the client computer? Isn't that what serialize is for? If
so I need it in the driver.(and instructions on how to get it to work
=:-b)

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S
http://www.animaproductions.com/linux2.html

Re: Serialize

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Actually, no that's not what it's for.

What it does is "Serialize" a class into the db "automagically".

There are much better products out there with much better functionality

See http://www.ambysoft.com/persistenceLayer.html

I personally use Artom Rudoy's persistence layer

www.sourceforge.net/projects/player

The following code is an example of how to use Serialize in the postgres
database

package postgrestest;

/**
 * Title:        Postgres Tests
 * Copyright:    Copyright (c) 2001
 * Company:      Ebox Inc
 * @author Dave Cramer
 * @version 1.0
 */

 /*
 *  Java sample program
 */

 import java.io.*;
 import java.sql.*;
 import org.postgresql.util.*;

 public class lili implements  Serializable
 {

  public String myString;
  public int myNumber;

  public lili()   throws ClassNotFoundException, FileNotFoundException,
IOException, SQLException
  {

    myString="theString";
    myNumber=4;
  }
  public boolean equals(lili l)
  {
    return (l.myString.equals(this.myString) && myNumber ==
this.myNumber);
  }
  private void testmethod(){};
  public void testmethod2x(){};

  public static void main(String args[])
  {
    org.postgresql.Connection conn=null;
    try {
      lili mylili = new lili();
      lili test = null;
      Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");         // load database
interface

// connect to the database
      conn =
(org.postgresql.Connection)DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql:
//alpha.ebox.com/davec", "davec",   "");     // works
      // test of serialisation
      org.postgresql.util.Serialize.create(conn, mylili);     // makes
problems
      org.postgresql.util.Serialize s = new Serialize(conn,mylili);
      int oid  = s.store(mylili);
      test = (lili)s.fetch(oid);
      if (mylili.equals(test)){
        System.out.println("Success");
      }else{
        System.out.println("Failure");
      }
    } catch(Exception exc){
      System.err.println("Exception caught.\n" + exc);
      exc.printStackTrace();
    }finally{
      try {
        if (conn != null) conn.close();
      } catch (Exception ex){
      ;
      }
    }
  }

}

On Fri, 2001-10-05 at 14:57, Dave Cramer wrote:
> While fixing the handling of "unknown" data type in the result set I
> was faced with wading through the Serialize code.
>
> I am wondering if this is really a required/desireable feature?
>
> How many people out there are actually using it?
>
> Do we need/want it?
>
> My thoughts are:
>
> 1) There are plenty of persistence layers which do this job much
> better.
>
> 2) I don't think this belongs in a driver.
> 3) The code will be simpler.

How do I do a database request via JDBC and save the result set to a
text file on the client computer? Isn't that what serialize is for? If
so I need it in the driver.(and instructions on how to get it to work
=:-b)

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S
http://www.animaproductions.com/linux2.html
Macromedia UltraDev with PostgreSQL
http://www.animaproductions.com/ultra.html

Re: Serialize

От
Gunnar Rønning
Дата:
| "Dave Cramer" <Dave@micro-automation.net> wrote:
|
| There are much better products out there with much better functionality
|
| See http://www.ambysoft.com/persistenceLayer.html
|
| I personally use Artom Rudoy's persistence layer
|
| www.sourceforge.net/projects/player

Turbine at jakarta.apache.org has a persistence layer based on Scott Amblers
paper as well. Maybe a list of persistence layers(with a short review of
how they work with PostgreSQL) would be a good addon  for the JDBC site.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Re: Serialize

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Dave,

I share your concerns about this functionality.  In fact last month I
wrote the following in response to a patch to this functionality.

I wouldn't mind this being pulled out of the main code line for now and
moved to contrib until it becomes more robust.

 >>Robert,
 >>

 >>Thanks for the patch.  While I didn't review it too closely, what I
 >>saw seemed fine.
 >>
 >>However, I have concerns about the feature as a whole, which really
 >>has nothing to do with your patch.
 >>
 >>I don't like the approach taken here for serialization.  It seems to
 >>me that this is a half baked attempt to reimplement native java
 >>serialization.  Why not just use java serialization to do what it was
 >>intended for?  We could then store the results of the serialization in
 >>a bytea column, or a LargeObject, or even in a separate table as is
 >>done here.  However, I am unsure of the desireabilty of creating these
 >>additional tables.  The bigest reason I don't like the additional
 >>tables is that the serialized objects don't ever get deleted.
 >>
 >>To the extent that this is documented, I think the feature should be
 >>marked as experimental with a caution that it may be changed in major
 >>non-backwardly compatible ways in the future.
 >>
 >>thanks,
 >>--Barry

There are two areas in the current code that I am uncomfortable with.
This serialize code and the code in org/postgresql/xa.  Have you looked
at the xa code?

thanks,
--Barry