Обсуждение: NullPointerException on next()

NullPointerException on next()

От
Joseph Shraibman
Дата:
Using the jdbc 7.1.2 drivers:

         at org.postgresql.jdbc2.ResultSet.next(ResultSet.java:116)

that line is:
  if (++current_row >= rows.size())

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net

RE: NullPointerException on next()

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Joseph,

Can you post some code to reproduce the error please?

Dave

         at org.postgresql.jdbc2.ResultSet.next(ResultSet.java:116)

that line is:
  if (++current_row >= rows.size())

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net
Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: NullPointerException on next()

От
"Thomas O'Dowd"
Дата:
Check that you didn't close the statement before making this
call to next() in the ResultSet object.

Tom.

Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom@nooper.com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs

Re: NullPointerException on next()

От
Joseph Shraibman
Дата:
I didn't close the statement.  I did use the statement again (to do an
update) before I called next(), is that a problem now?

Thomas O'Dowd wrote:
> Check that you didn't close the statement before making this
> call to next() in the ResultSet object.
>
> Tom.
>
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 09:34:51PM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>>Joseph,
>>
>>Can you post some code to reproduce the error please?
>>
>>Dave

Rene Pijlman
Дата:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:06:08 -0400, you wrote:
>I didn't close the statement.  I did use the statement again (to do an
>update) before I called next(), is that a problem now?

Yes. Closing or re-executing the statement closes its ResultSet.
This is per the JDBC spec, its not PostgreSQL-specific.

Regards,
René Pijlman

Re: NullPointerException on next()

От
Joseph Shraibman
Дата:
I think it used to work.  Anyway maybe an IllegalStateException should
be thrown instead of NullPointerException?

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net
Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

Re: NullPointerException on next()

От
"Thomas O'Dowd"
Дата:
Yep, it used to work. I got caught by it too after an upgrade :) I think
you're right about the exception that's being thrown, it shouldn't be
the NullPointerException.

Tom.

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 03:26:41PM -0400, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> I think it used to work.  Anyway maybe an IllegalStateException should
> be thrown instead of NullPointerException?
>

> Rene Pijlman wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:06:08 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >>I didn't close the statement.  I did use the statement again (to do an
> >>update) before I called next(), is that a problem now?
> >>

> > Yes. Closing or re-executing the statement closes its ResultSet.
> > This is per the JDBC spec, its not PostgreSQL-specific.
> >
> > Regards,
> > René Pijlman
> >

> --
> Joseph Shraibman
> jks@selectacast.net
> Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom@nooper.com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs

Re: NullPointerException on next()

От
Rene Pijlman
Дата:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2001 11:40:29 +0900, you wrote:
>I think you're right about the exception that's being thrown,
>it shouldn't be the NullPointerException.

I've put it on the todo list:
http://lab.applinet.nl/postgresql-jdbc/ ("ResultSet").

It should throw a java.sql.SQLException, however, instead of a
java.lang.IllegalStateException. See the JDBC book
(http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jdbc/) section A.4: "There are
cases where a JavaRunTimeException and an SQLException might
overlap. ... In such cases, it is recommended that the
SQLException be thrown because that gives JDBC more consistent
control over errors."

Regards,
René Pijlman