Обсуждение: JBuilder4 ...

JBuilder4 ...

От
Catalin CIOCOIU
Дата:
I have a problem when I use JDBC Explorer. In some cases it don't return
the  errors.
 par example:
select * frum table
    ^^^^^^

It is a bug or a feature  ?

Re: JBuilder4 ...

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
Quoting Catalin CIOCOIU <catalin.ciocoiu@inpg.fr>:

> I have a problem when I use JDBC Explorer. In some cases it don't
> return
> the  errors.
>  par example:
> select * frum table
>     ^^^^^^
>
> It is a bug or a feature  ?

I'll try it from here in a moment, but I'd say it's a JBuilder bug. The backend
should throw a wobbly when it parses the query, and JDBC should then throw
SQLException. Unless JBuilder is expecting too much from JDBC or they've caught
the exception and ditching it....

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/

Re: JBuilder4 ...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Peter T Mount wrote:

> Quoting Catalin CIOCOIU <catalin.ciocoiu@inpg.fr>:
>
> > I have a problem when I use JDBC Explorer. In some cases it don't
> > return
> > the  errors.
> >  par example:
> > select * frum table
> >     ^^^^^^
> >
> > It is a bug or a feature  ?
>
> I'll try it from here in a moment, but I'd say it's a JBuilder bug. The backend
> should throw a wobbly when it parses the query, and JDBC should then throw
> SQLException. Unless JBuilder is expecting too much from JDBC or they've caught
> the exception and ditching it....

'a wobbly'?  JBDC technical term here? :)

Re: JBuilder4 ...

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
Quoting The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>:

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Peter T Mount wrote:
>
> > Quoting Catalin CIOCOIU <catalin.ciocoiu@inpg.fr>:
> >
> > > I have a problem when I use JDBC Explorer. In some cases it don't
> > > return
> > > the  errors.
> > >  par example:
> > > select * frum table
> > >     ^^^^^^
> > >
> > > It is a bug or a feature  ?
> >
> > I'll try it from here in a moment, but I'd say it's a JBuilder bug.
> The backend
> > should throw a wobbly when it parses the query, and JDBC should then
> throw
> > SQLException. Unless JBuilder is expecting too much from JDBC or
> they've caught
> > the exception and ditching it....
>
> 'a wobbly'?  JBDC technical term here? :)

hehe, no probably an English term meaning "to complain, loose it's
temper/patience" etc ;-)

Anyhow, I've just tried it with my JBuilder install (latest CVS of JDBC but a
beta3 backend) and it complains nicely. I'm not sure why Catalin isn't seeing
the exceptions...

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/
RetepPDF PDF library for Java: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf/

Re: JBuilder4 ...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Peter T Mount wrote:

> Quoting The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>:

> > > I'll try it from here in a moment, but I'd say it's a JBuilder bug.
> > The backend
> > > should throw a wobbly when it parses the query, and JDBC should then
> > throw
> > > SQLException. Unless JBuilder is expecting too much from JDBC or
> > they've caught
> > > the exception and ditching it....
> >
> > 'a wobbly'?  JBDC technical term here? :)
>
> hehe, no probably an English term meaning "to complain, loose it's
> temper/patience" etc ;-)

Should get this as part of one of the exceptions? :)  "I Wobbled, please
fix me"? :)

Re: JBuilder4 ...

От
Catalin CIOCOIU
Дата:
I have JBuilder4 French version.
I see some errors. Par example if mistake the table name, I got an
exception. It is very strange !

Peter T Mount wrote:

> Quoting The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>:

> > > I'll try it from here in a moment, but I'd say it's a JBuilder bug.
> > The backend
> > > should throw a wobbly when it parses the query, and JDBC should then
> > throw
> > > SQLException. Unless JBuilder is expecting too much from JDBC or
> > they've caught
> > > the exception and ditching it....
> >
> > 'a wobbly'?  JBDC technical term here? :)
>
> hehe, no probably an English term meaning "to complain, loose it's
> temper/patience" etc ;-)
>
> Anyhow, I've just tried it with my JBuilder install (latest CVS of JDBC but a
> beta3 backend) and it complains nicely. I'm not sure why Catalin isn't seeing
> the exceptions...
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
> PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/
> RetepPDF PDF library for Java: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf/

connection pooling in JDBC driver

От
Qiqi Dong
Дата:
Does anyone know that if the pgsql-jdbc driver has connection pooling built
in, or I must write one for myself?

Re: connection pooling in JDBC driver

От
Joseph Shraibman
Qiqi Dong wrote:

> Does anyone know that if the pgsql-jdbc driver has connection pooling built
> in, or I must write one for myself?

Just write one yourself.  Use a Stack().

Or you could use protomater: http://protomatter.sourceforge.net/

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net

Re: connection pooling in JDBC driver

От
Richard Bullington-McGuire
Дата:

Or Poolman: http://poolman.sourceforge.net/

--
 Richard Bullington-McGuire  <rbulling@microstate.com>
 Chief Technology Officer, The Microstate Corporation

Re: Re: connection pooling in JDBC driver

От
Gunnar R|nning
Дата:
Richard Bullington-McGuire <rbulling@microstate.com> writes:

> > Or you could use protomater: http://protomatter.sourceforge.net/
>
> Or Poolman: http://poolman.sourceforge.net/

Just to be lame; there is a gazillion different free implementations out
there, for a good one try the one you find as part of the appserver at
locomotive.org, for painfull one try the one in Turbine from the Java apache
project. Of course your milage may vary, but this is not really a pgsql
related question... ;-D Unless of course we are talking about implementing
pooling for the DataSource class, but that is somewhat unrelated as well...

Hugs and kisses,

    Gunnar

Re: Re: connection pooling in JDBC driver

От
Richard Bullington-McGuire
Дата:
On 9 Mar 2001, Gunnar R|nning wrote:

> [snip] Of course your milage may vary, but this is not really a pgsql
> related question... ;-D Unless of course we are talking about implementing
> pooling for the DataSource class, but that is somewhat unrelated as well...

That's something that I'm a bit confused about -- there is very little
documentation on the DataSource class in the sources. One comment in
particular confuses me:

    /**
     * This is a pool of free underlying JDBC connections. If two
     * XA connections are used in the same transaction, the second
     * one will make its underlying JDBC connection available to
     * the pool. This is not a real connection pool, only a marginal
     * efficiency solution for dealing with shared transactions.
     */

This is not a real connection pool?

It seems to me that the JavaDoc for this class should be expanded to
explain more just what kind of pool it provides.

 --
 Richard Bullington-McGuire  <rbulling@microstate.com>
 Chief Technology Officer, The Microstate Corporation
 Phone: 703-796-6446  URL: http://www.microstate.com/
 PGP key IDs:    RSA: 0x93862305   DH/DSS: 0xDAC3028E

Re: connection pooling in JDBC driver

От
arkin
Дата:
Richard Bullington-McGuire wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2001, Gunnar R|nning wrote:
>
> > [snip] Of course your milage may vary, but this is not really a pgsql
> > related question... ;-D Unless of course we are talking about implementing
> > pooling for the DataSource class, but that is somewhat unrelated as well...
>
> That's something that I'm a bit confused about -- there is very little
> documentation on the DataSource class in the sources. One comment in
> particular confuses me:
>
>     /**
>      * This is a pool of free underlying JDBC connections. If two
>      * XA connections are used in the same transaction, the second
>      * one will make its underlying JDBC connection available to
>      * the pool. This is not a real connection pool, only a marginal
>      * efficiency solution for dealing with shared transactions.
>      */
>
> This is not a real connection pool?
>
> It seems to me that the JavaDoc for this class should be expanded to
> explain more just what kind of pool it provides.

It's a connection sharing pool.

If two JDBC Connection objects are used in the same transaction, they
will need to use the same underlying connection, since there's not
support for the XA API. When performing asynchronous commit, the
connection will be put aside until it commits, and the JDBC Connection
object might need to use a different underlying connection.

Because of all this connection switching logic, I've implemented a very
simple connection pool that is just used to recycle the underlying JDBC
connection across many client-side JDBC connections. It's not a full
connection pool.

If you are looking for a fully featured connection pool, see
http://tyrex.exolab.org.

arkin

>  --
>  Richard Bullington-McGuire  <rbulling@microstate.com>
>  Chief Technology Officer, The Microstate Corporation
>  Phone: 703-796-6446  URL: http://www.microstate.com/
>  PGP key IDs:    RSA: 0x93862305   DH/DSS: 0xDAC3028E

Assaf Arkin                                          arkin@intalio.com
CTO,  Intalio Inc.                                     www.intalio.com
The Business Process Management Company                 (650) 345 2777