Обсуждение: PQfformat() and Composite Formatted Results

PQfformat() and Composite Formatted Results

От
Volkan YAZICI
Дата:
Hi,

PQfformat() returns the format code indicating the format of the
given column. But, AFAIC, it's not possible to gather composite
formatted results using current query execution functions. They
only permit to specify the return format of the whole result
struct. (Like all of them will be binary or text.) Therefore, there
doesn't remain any usage difference between PQbinaryTuples() and
PQfformat().

Please fix me if I'm wrong. Is this remained as a TODO for the
protocol or I missed something totally?

Regards.

Re: PQfformat() and Composite Formatted Results

Дата:
Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttnet.net.tr> writes:
> PQfformat() returns the format code indicating the format of the
> given column. But, AFAIC, it's not possible to gather composite
> formatted results using current query execution functions. They
> only permit to specify the return format of the whole result
> struct. (Like all of them will be binary or text.) Therefore, there
> doesn't remain any usage difference between PQbinaryTuples() and
> PQfformat().

> Please fix me if I'm wrong. Is this remained as a TODO for the
> protocol or I missed something totally?

It's not a protocol restriction, it's a libpq restriction made in the
name of keeping the API from getting too unwieldy.  We could add more
entry points with different parameter lists to address this.  I have
a feeling that refactoring the API of the query functions entirely
might be a better idea, though.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PQfformat() and Composite Formatted Results

От
Volkan YAZICI
Дата:
Hi,

I've prepared a patch[1] which makes it possible to use composite formats
in query results.

It defines
 PQexecParams() PQexecPrepared() PQsendQueryParams() PQsendPrepared()

functions with last
 int resultFormat

parameter replaced with
 int       nResFormat, const int resParamFormats

Therefore, it breaks compatibility with the existing PQ*Params() and
PQ*Prepared() functions. (Use at your own risk.)

There's also a test case[2] too

[1] http://www.students.itu.edu.tr/~yazicivo/libpq_res_fmt.patch
[2] http://www.students.itu.edu.tr/~yazicivo/pg_res_fmt.c

Any comments will be appreciated.
Regards.

On Dec 30 06:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> It's not a protocol restriction, it's a libpq restriction made in the
> name of keeping the API from getting too unwieldy.  We could add more
> entry points with different parameter lists to address this.  I have
> a feeling that refactoring the API of the query functions entirely
> might be a better idea, though.

Re: PQfformat() and Composite Formatted Results

Дата:

and approves it.

Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've prepared a patch[1] which makes it possible to use composite formats
> in query results.
>
> It defines
>
>   PQexecParams()
>   PQexecPrepared()
>   PQsendQueryParams()
>   PQsendPrepared()
>
> functions with last
>
>   int resultFormat
>
> parameter replaced with
>
>   int       nResFormat,
>   const int resParamFormats
>
> Therefore, it breaks compatibility with the existing PQ*Params() and
> PQ*Prepared() functions. (Use at your own risk.)
>
> There's also a test case[2] too
>
> [1] http://www.students.itu.edu.tr/~yazicivo/libpq_res_fmt.patch
> [2] http://www.students.itu.edu.tr/~yazicivo/pg_res_fmt.c
>

> Any comments will be appreciated.
> Regards.
>

> On Dec 30 06:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> > It's not a protocol restriction, it's a libpq restriction made in the
> > name of keeping the API from getting too unwieldy.  We could add more
> > entry points with different parameter lists to address this.  I have
> > a feeling that refactoring the API of the query functions entirely
> > might be a better idea, though.

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PQfformat() and Composite Formatted Results

Дата:
> Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches
> It will be applied as soon as one of the PostgreSQL committers reviews
> and approves it.

There is 0 chance that this will be applied, because

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
> >     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches
> > It will be applied as soon as one of the PostgreSQL committers reviews
> > and approves it.
>
> There is 0 chance that this will be applied, because
>
> >> Therefore, it breaks compatibility with the existing PQ*Params() and
> >> PQ*Prepared() functions. (Use at your own risk.)

OK, patch removed, but you stated in email:

> On Dec 30 06:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> > It's not a protocol restriction, it's a libpq restriction made in the
> > name of keeping the API from getting too unwieldy.  We could add more
> > entry points with different parameter lists to address this.  I have
> > a feeling that refactoring the API of the query functions entirely
> > might be a better idea, though.

so I thought you were saying that we need to just pick new function
names or something.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PQfformat() and Composite Formatted Results

Дата:
Patch removed.

Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've prepared a patch[1] which makes it possible to use composite formats
> in query results.
>
> It defines
>
>   PQexecParams()
>   PQexecPrepared()
>   PQsendQueryParams()
>   PQsendPrepared()
>
> functions with last
>
>   int resultFormat
>
> parameter replaced with
>
>   int       nResFormat,
>   const int resParamFormats
>
> Therefore, it breaks compatibility with the existing PQ*Params() and
> PQ*Prepared() functions. (Use at your own risk.)
>
> There's also a test case[2] too
>
> [1] http://www.students.itu.edu.tr/~yazicivo/libpq_res_fmt.patch
> [2] http://www.students.itu.edu.tr/~yazicivo/pg_res_fmt.c
>

> Any comments will be appreciated.
> Regards.
>

> On Dec 30 06:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> > It's not a protocol restriction, it's a libpq restriction made in the
> > name of keeping the API from getting too unwieldy.  We could add more
> > entry points with different parameter lists to address this.  I have
> > a feeling that refactoring the API of the query functions entirely
> > might be a better idea, though.

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PQfformat() and Composite Formatted Results

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> There is 0 chance that this will be applied, because
>>
>>> Therefore, it breaks compatibility with the existing PQ*Params() and
>>> PQ*Prepared() functions. (Use at your own risk.)

> OK, patch removed, but you stated in email:
>> On Dec 30 06:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> It's not a protocol restriction, it's a libpq restriction made in the
> name of keeping the API from getting too unwieldy.  We could add more
> entry points with different parameter lists to address this.  I have
> a feeling that refactoring the API of the query functions entirely
> might be a better idea, though.

> so I thought you were saying that we need to just pick new function
> names or something.

I didn't say we couldn't do something involving new function names;
I said *this* patch isn't acceptable ...
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> There is 0 chance that this will be applied, because

> > OK, patch removed, but you stated in email:
> >> On Dec 30 06:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> > It's not a protocol restriction, it's a libpq restriction made in the
> > name of keeping the API from getting too unwieldy.  We could add more
> > entry points with different parameter lists to address this.  I have
> > a feeling that refactoring the API of the query functions entirely
> > might be a better idea, though.
>
> > so I thought you were saying that we need to just pick new function
> > names or something.
>
> I didn't say we couldn't do something involving new function names;
> I said *this* patch isn't acceptable ...

OK, so does he rework it or do we?

Pennsylvania19073