Обсуждение: Problems when using MS Access to display Postgres Data

Problems when using MS Access to display Postgres Data

От
Simon Dobie
Дата:
Hi,

Im not sure if this is the right mail list, apologies if it is not, and
could someone let me know where i could post this question if its not
the right place.

Basically, i have a small pg database with about 628 records in it. I
have these tables linked into an access database so that i can use
access forms and reports for people to easily get around in the
database. However, i just imported 20 records or so, and when i open up
the linked table to check, it seems like the first record was imported
20 times. however, when i open PGAdminIII up and view the data, its fine.

I can Run the linked table manager and update linked tables, and i get
the right data, but then my table becomes un editable and none of my
forms work.

Does anyone have any clues for how to fix this?! its driving me insane!!

%simon

Re: FIXED Problems when using MS Access to display

От
Simon Dobie
Дата:
Its ok, i managed to figure it out. the Primary Key was not being
updated (i did make it auto update in postgress but it doesnt seem to
auto update) so i had to manually change the unique value for the
records (which was the same for each one.)

cheers!
%simon

Re: FIXED Problems when using MS Access to display

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 16:24:28 +1000, Simon Dobie <simon@auditbureau.org.au> wrote:
> Its ok, i managed to figure it out. the Primary Key was not being
> updated (i did make it auto update in postgress but it doesnt seem to
> auto update) so i had to manually change the unique value for the
> records (which was the same for each one.)

There is no auto update in Postgres. If you are talking about the serial
type, it is important to know that it works by having a function get a
value from a sequence as a default action. If you actually provide a
value for this column when inserting a row, that value will get used
instead of using the default action to get a value.

If you still have questions about this, if you describe precisely what you
are doing we might be able to shed more light on what is happening.