Обсуждение: Segmentation Fault

Segmentation Fault

От
"Frankie Lam"
Дата:
Hi,

I want to ask what does the error message mean by
"0x40023abb in resetPQExpBuffer () from /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3"?
I got this message using GDB to trace the program.
(Segmentation fault occurswhen run the program directly.)

I reviewed the program many times, and found this is only to happen when
I call the `ctime()'  or `time()' in a program function.

code fragment FYI
--8<------------------------
// `res = PQexec(conn, sql)' here..
... } else if (!strcmp(PQfname(res, i), SYNCTIME_FIELD_NAME)) {
//   puts("7");  //char chP[30];  printf("timer=%ld\n", time(timer)); // <====== without this line, the
program works
//   printf("%s", ctime(time(NULL)));
//   printf("%s", asctime(localtime(&timer)));  sprintf(tmp, "'1999-12-11 09:50:58'::timestamp, ");  strcat(p2, tmp); }
elseif (!strcmp(PQfname(res, i), SERVERID_FIELD_NAME)) {  puts("8");  sprintf(tmp, "'%s'", PQgetvalue(res, 0, i));
strcat(p2,tmp); }}

freeing resources here
---------->8--------------

Thank you very much.

Frankie Lam.

Re: Segmentation Fault

От
Christoph Haller
Дата:
>> I want to ask what does the error message mean by> "0x40023abb in resetPQExpBuffer () from
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3"?>I got this message using GDB to trace the program.> (Segmentation fault occurswhen
runthe program directly.)>> I reviewed the program many times, and found this is only to happen when> I call the
`ctime()' or `time()' in a program function.>> code fragment FYI> --8<------------------------> // `res = PQexec(conn,
sql)'here..> ...> ...>   }>   else if (!strcmp(PQfname(res, i), SYNCTIME_FIELD_NAME))>   {> //   puts("7");>    //char
chP[30];>   printf("timer=%ld\n", time(timer)); // <====== without this line, the> program works> //   printf("%s",
ctime(time(NULL)));>//   printf("%s", asctime(localtime(&timer)));>    sprintf(tmp, "'1999-12-11 09:50:58'::timestamp,
");

I would like to see the declaration of the "timer" variable.
Is it "time_t"? Then you should code "&timer" as in localtime(&timer).
Is it "time_t *"? Then, did you alloc'd memory?
Regards, Christoph

Re: Segmentation Fault

От
"Frankie Lam"
Дата:
Oh, I'm so sorry....
I've made a stupid mistake... and this mistake is at the cost of 3 days
work.
The segmentation fault is totally irrelevant to the time functions in

Buggy Code Fragment FYI
--8<------------------------
..
..  len =strlen(PQgetvalue(res, 0, i)) * 2 + 1;  // <=========  printf("***********length=%d\n", len);  tmp2 = (char *)
calloc(sizeof(char),len);  strcat(p2, "'");

  PQescapeString(tmp2, PQgetvalue(res, 0, i), len); // <========= this
line,  // PQescapeString won't stop at '\0', so it will go out  // of range of the returning value by PQgetvalue().
  strcat(p2, tmp2);  strcat(p2, "', ");  free(tmp2);  tmp2 = NULL;
..
..
---------->8--------------

Here I have one more question, is there any debugging tools other than GDB?
I'm not quite used to it, debugging segmentation fault is really a pain. :-(

Thx,
Frankie Lam

"Frankie Lam" <frankie@ucr.com.hk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to ask what does the error message mean by
> "0x40023abb in resetPQExpBuffer () from /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3"?
> I got this message using GDB to trace the program.
> (Segmentation fault occurswhen run the program directly.)
>
> I reviewed the program many times, and found this is only to happen when
> I call the `ctime()'  or `time()' in a program function.
>
> code fragment FYI
> --8<------------------------
> // `res = PQexec(conn, sql)' here..
>   }
>   else if (!strcmp(PQfname(res, i), SYNCTIME_FIELD_NAME))
>   {
> //   puts("7");
>    //char chP[30];
>    printf("timer=%ld\n", time(timer)); // <====== without this line, the
> program works
> //   printf("%s", ctime(time(NULL)));
> //   printf("%s", asctime(localtime(&timer)));
>    sprintf(tmp, "'1999-12-11 09:50:58'::timestamp, ");
>    strcat(p2, tmp);
>   }
>   else if (!strcmp(PQfname(res, i), SERVERID_FIELD_NAME))
>   {
>    puts("8");
>    sprintf(tmp, "'%s'", PQgetvalue(res, 0, i));
>    strcat(p2, tmp);
>   }
>  }
> freeing resources here
> ---------->8--------------
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Frankie Lam.

Re: Segmentation Fault

От
Christoph Haller
Дата:
>> Oh, I'm so sorry....> I've made a stupid mistake... and this mistake is at the cost of 3 days> work.> The
segmentationfault is totally irrelevant to the time functions in> previous thread.>

Keep your head.
AFAICT segmentation faults are every C programmer's nightmare
and best known for hard to find. I know of people searching for
mistakes even longer and I've seen mistakes more stupid than yours.
>> Here I have one more question, is there any debugging tools other
than GDB?> I'm not quite used to it, debugging segmentation fault is really a
pain. :-(>
I don't know of one. I'm using xdb on HP-UX, which is quite similar I
suppose.
I've found it useful when trying to track down, do not trace, but let it
simply run
within the debugger and then use the "down" command to find your code area.
There is also a function called memorymap(int show_stats) which often
detects
memory faults before the operating systems does.
>    len =strlen(PQgetvalue(res, 0, i)) * 2 + 1;  // <=========
Why not using PQgetlength(res, 0, i)?>    PQescapeString(tmp2, PQgetvalue(res, 0, i), len); // <=========
One last question:
Why are you using PQescapeString on PQgetvalue?

The doc says:
If you want to include strings that have been received from a source
that is not trustworthy (for example, because a random user entered
them), you cannot directly include them in SQL queries for security
reasons. Instead, you have to quote special characters that are
otherwise interpreted by the SQL parser.

So PQgetvalue is trustworthy. There should be no need to call
PQescapeString,
except you were using a binary cursor. But if you were using one, then why
would you want to escape the result instead of just using a normal cursor?

Regards, Christoph

Re: Segmentation Fault

От
"James Williamson"
Дата:
>  > I've made a stupid mistake... and this mistake is at the cost of 3 days
>  > work.
>  > The segmentation fault is totally irrelevant to the time functions in
>  >
> Keep your head.
> AFAICT segmentation faults are every C programmer's nightmare
> and best known for hard to find. I know of people searching for
> mistakes even longer and I've seen mistakes more stupid than yours.
>
>  >
>  > Here I have one more question, is there any debugging tools other
> than GDB?
>  > I'm not quite used to it, debugging segmentation fault is really a
> pain. :-(
>  >

Have you looked at efence, purify and valgrind?

Regards,

James Williamson
www.nameonthe.net
Tel: +44 208 7415453
Fax: + 44 208 7411615

> I don't know of one. I'm using xdb on HP-UX, which is quite similar I
> suppose.
> I've found it useful when trying to track down, do not trace, but let it
> simply run
> within the debugger and then use the "down" command to find your code
area.
> There is also a function called memorymap(int show_stats) which often
> detects
> memory faults before the operating systems does.
>
>  >    len =strlen(PQgetvalue(res, 0, i)) * 2 + 1;  // <=========
> Why not using PQgetlength(res, 0, i)?
>  >    PQescapeString(tmp2, PQgetvalue(res, 0, i), len); // <=========
> One last question:
> Why are you using PQescapeString on PQgetvalue?
>
> The doc says:
> If you want to include strings that have been received from a source
> that is not trustworthy (for example, because a random user entered
> them), you cannot directly include them in SQL queries for security
> reasons. Instead, you have to quote special characters that are
> otherwise interpreted by the SQL parser.
>
> So PQgetvalue is trustworthy. There should be no need to call
> PQescapeString,
> except you were using a binary cursor. But if you were using one, then why
> would you want to escape the result instead of just using a normal cursor?
>
> Regards, Christoph

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Segmentation Fault

От
Philip Yarra
Дата:
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 19:31, Frankie Lam wrote:
> Here I have one more question, is there any debugging tools other than GDB?
> I'm not quite used to it, debugging segmentation fault is really a pain.

I'm using Redhat 7.3, with "everything" installed. It has ddd, which is a nice
frontend to gdb. More detail here: http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/

Also you might like to consider memprof (useful in tracking down memory leaks)
- another graphical tool.

Hope this helps!
Regards, Philip.

Re: Segmentation Fault

От
"Frankie Lam"

> Have you looked at efence, purify and valgrind?

I will, thanks :-). (I'm a newbie)

Re: Segmentation Fault

От
"Frankie Lam"
Дата:
Thanks all for replying.

>  >    len =strlen(PQgetvalue(res, 0, i)) * 2 + 1;  // <=========
> Why not using PQgetlength(res, 0, i)?

Actually I'm quite new to libPQ, that's why I didn't know there's a
PQgetlength function. :-)

>  >    PQescapeString(tmp2, PQgetvalue(res, 0, i), len); // <=========
> One last question:
> Why are you using PQescapeString on PQgetvalue?
>
> The doc says:
> If you want to include strings that have been received from a source
> that is not trustworthy (for example, because a random user entered
> them), you cannot directly include them in SQL queries for security
> reasons. Instead, you have to quote special characters that are
> otherwise interpreted by the SQL parser.

hmm.., I did this on purpose. Because I want to grab SQL commands
I previously stored in a table from one database, then reformat them
and store them into another database.
E.g. the reformatted string looks like:
INSERT INTO tableOnAnotherDB(sqlCMD) values('delete from test where
name=''\\\\''');

I'm trying to implement a scale-down'ed version of synchronous
replication, only limited to replicating between two databases.
And this C program is responsible for synchronizing the two
databases and keep them consistent, in case one of them failed
and is up again later and other cases. (checking who's master, and
who's slave, are they accepting requests etc, is done by the server
side stored functions. VB + ODBC + PL/PGSQL in backend)

Regards
Frankie Lam

Re: Segmentation Fault

От
Christoph Haller
trustworthy(for example, because a random user entered> > them), you cannot directly include them in SQL queries for
security>> reasons. Instead, you have to quote special characters that are> > otherwise interpreted by the SQL
parser.>>hmm.., I did this on purpose. Because I want to grab SQL commands> I previously stored in a table from one
database,then reformat them> and store them into another database.> E.g. the reformatted string looks like:> INSERT
INTOtableOnAnotherDB(sqlCMD) values('delete from test where> name=''\\\\''');>

Ok, I see. I didn't think of that possibility. You are right.
Regards, Christoph