Обсуждение: Setting up pgaccess on Win2k

Setting up pgaccess on Win2k

От
James
Дата:
Hi,

Could anyone advise on this ? I have install ActiveTcl which is needed
by pgaccess, and also pgaccess-0.98.9p5.tar by extracting it into a
particular drive.

A couple of version of  libpgtclxx.dllxx files can be found under the
pgaccess/win32/dll  folder.
I know that I take either one of those files and rename into
libpgtcl.dll, and put it under WINNT/system folder.

What are the steps for specifying  the paths to libpgtcl.dll eg PGLIB,
PGACCESS_HOME

It seems to me that the pgaccess.tcl file is unable to find the paths
even though I created those above environment variables.

Thanks, guys.

regards
James

Re: Setting up pgaccess on Win2k

От
"Iavor Raytchev"
Дата:
I could not see if this has been answered.

James wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could anyone advise on this ? I have install ActiveTcl which is needed
> by pgaccess, and also pgaccess-0.98.9p5.tar by extracting it into a
> particular drive.
>
> A couple of version of  libpgtclxx.dllxx files can be found under the
> pgaccess/win32/dll  folder.
> I know that I take either one of those files and rename into
> libpgtcl.dll, and put it under WINNT/system folder.
>
> What are the steps for specifying  the paths to libpgtcl.dll eg PGLIB,
> PGACCESS_HOME
>
> It seems to me that the pgaccess.tcl file is unable to find the paths
> even though I created those above environment variables.

When I installed it I did not have to specify any paths. Try putting
them in different places - in system32 or directly in WINNT. Also - see
if you have renamed them correctly - form one file you need to remove a
number only form the extension and from the other - also from the name.

Iavor

Need for speed

От
"John huttley"
Дата:
Hello, I'm writing an application in C and speed is critical.

I'm doing inserts into 2 tables, both with only a few char fields.
1 insert using 'INSERT'
5 inserts using 'COPY'

and there is a BEGIN and COMMIT around them.
There are as few indexes as I can have and still query effectively.
I cannot drop and recreate the indexes, since there will be asynchronous
queries.

I can't get more than 97 of these transactions per second.
There will be 100 Million transactions or more. presently 150,000.
So I would like x10 speed increase!!

Postmaster shows 50->65% usage, system idle is 10->15% (700Mhz Althon, 386Mb
RAM)

vmstat shows about 20 Blks/in and 1500 Blks/out  per sec.

The disk is a 10000RPM SCSI.

How can I get more speed?
Should I try and get more inserts into each transaction? (Do BEGIN/COMMIT in
separate thread with timer)
Do you think its worth the effort to make that remaining INSERT into a COPY?
Would managing a pool of asynchronous calls improve the speed?
What about this fast path thing? it looks very complicated and under
documented..

Any advice greatfully received,

Regards

John