Обсуждение: Composite datatypes, dynamic member fields

Composite datatypes, dynamic member fields

От
Robert Staudinger
Дата:
Hello,

I'm planning to build some kind of simple object oriented database and
came across PostgreSQL because of it's nearly unlimited ways of
extensibility.
The documentation is really good an I learned a lot about composite
datatypes, how to program them in c, create indices ... from the "Server
Programming" section of the "Developer Manual".
The problem in my case is that I don't know the names of the attributes
beforehand so I can't do a table bases mapping with one table for each
type of object ("class"). So I thought It would maybe be possible to
store the objects always in the same composed datatype - with "dynamic
member fields".
Ok this may be completely insane but ...

Maybe you could just tell me if it's worth to dig deeper.

Robert Staudinger