Обсуждение: BYTEA and ODBC driver

BYTEA and ODBC driver

От
Ashley Clark
Дата:
Shouldn't I be able to store images in a field of BYTEA type? I keep
getting errors saying that I can't store that kind of information in a
field of that type. I'm using the latest ODBC driver (7.01.0006).

--
creaky halls

Re: BYTEA and ODBC driver

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Дата:
Ashley Clark wrote:

> Shouldn't I be able to store images in a field of BYTEA type? I keep
> getting errors saying that I can't store that kind of information in a
> field of that type. I'm using the latest ODBC driver (7.01.0006).

BYTEA type seems unavailable for your purpose.
You seem to have to use large objects.
See http://odbc.postgresql.org/ (FAQ).

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: BYTEA and ODBC driver

От
Ashley Clark
Дата:
* Hiroshi Inoue in "Re: [INTERFACES] BYTEA and ODBC driver" dated
* 2001/07/24 13:11 wrote:

> Ashley Clark wrote:
> >
> > Shouldn't I be able to store images in a field of BYTEA type? I
> > keep getting errors saying that I can't store that kind of
> > information in a field of that type. I'm using the latest ODBC
> > driver (7.01.0006).
>
> BYTEA type seems unavailable for your purpose.
> You seem to have to use large objects.
> See http://odbc.postgresql.org/ (FAQ).

Yes, I understand that using the lo type would work but what plans are
there to support BYTEA in the ODBC driver? Am I wrong in thinking that
TOAST was supposed to allow this kind of thing without the hacks that
were recently required (lo type)?

--
hacker sally

Re: BYTEA and ODBC driver

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Дата:
Ashley Clark wrote:

> * Hiroshi Inoue in "Re: [INTERFACES] BYTEA and ODBC driver" dated
> * 2001/07/24 13:11 wrote:
>
> > Ashley Clark wrote:
> > >
> > > Shouldn't I be able to store images in a field of BYTEA type? I
> > > keep getting errors saying that I can't store that kind of
> > > information in a field of that type. I'm using the latest ODBC
> > > driver (7.01.0006).
> >
> > BYTEA type seems unavailable for your purpose.
> > You seem to have to use large objects.
> > See http://odbc.postgresql.org/ (FAQ).
>
> Yes, I understand that using the lo type would work but what plans are
> there to support BYTEA in the ODBC driver?

BYTEA seems to be considered as a candidate for BLOB but
I don't see the conclusion yet. If BYTEA would be BLOB
ODBC driver should support it IMHO.
However BYTEA is inconvenient to handle now. For example
its input/output method is very ineffective.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue