Обсуждение: Macintosh OS 9.1 front end C interface

Macintosh OS 9.1 front end C interface

От
liam
Дата:
Okay, I've done a bunch of munging and I've gotten libpq-fe.c to at
least connect from Mac OS9.1 to the postgresql server.

That means it should be possible to port the entire C front-end to the Mac.

Anyone done this already so I can go back to sleep?

If not, what's my best approach?
--
Later . . . 'liam

allenwc@home.com
William C Allen, BLS, EET

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others"
At least I /have/ a purpose!

Re: Macintosh OS 9.1 front end C interface

Дата:
liam <allenwc@home.com> writes:
> Okay, I've done a bunch of munging and I've gotten libpq-fe.c to at
> least connect from Mac OS9.1 to the postgresql server.

Cool.

> Anyone done this already so I can go back to sleep?

Not that I know of.

> If not, what's my best approach?

How extensive are the patches?  It's too late for 7.1 but we might be
interested in adopting them for 7.2 ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Macintosh OS 9.1 front end C interface

От
liam
Дата:
At 2:20 PM -0400 4/4/01, Tom Lane wrote:
>liam <allenwc@home.com> writes:
>>  Okay, I've done a bunch of munging and I've gotten libpq-fe.c to at
>>  least connect from Mac OS9.1 to the postgresql server.
>
>Cool.
>
>>  Anyone done this already so I can go back to sleep?
>
>Not that I know of.
>
>>  If not, what's my best approach?
>
>How extensive are the patches?  It's too late for 7.1 but we might be
>interested in adopting them for 7.2 ...

I haven't patched the entire front end, only the PQconnectdb function
works at the moment.

Most of the changes involve replacing the standard Unix headers with
their Mac counter parts. Some functions have to be written from
scratch or ported from Unix, like strdup for example.
The biggest source of pain is that Mac just doesn't have all the
libraries that Unix does. Sigh.

It is going to be a BIG job, which is why I was hoping someone else
had done it already.

Oh well, I guess I'll plod along. I'll build it as a CodeWarrior
project for Mac with a target of "library" if that's alright?

Any words of wisdom on best ways to do this?
--
Later . . . 'liam

allenwc@home.com
William C Allen, BLS, EET

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others"
At least I /have/ a purpose!

Re: Macintosh OS 9.1 front end C interface

Дата:
liam <allenwc@home.com> writes:
> Most of the changes involve replacing the standard Unix headers with
> their Mac counter parts. Some functions have to be written from
> scratch or ported from Unix, like strdup for example.

At least some of those functions already exist, see src/utils/ and
src/backend/port/.

> It is going to be a BIG job, which is why I was hoping someone else
> had done it already.

I believe 7.1 builds out-of-the-box on OS X ... you might want to
consider just how badly you really need this for OS 9.
        regards, tom lane

Re[2]: Macintosh OS 9.1 front end C interface

От
"Eric W. Brown"
Дата:
> Oh well, I guess I'll plod along. I'll build it as a CodeWarrior
> project for Mac with a target of "library" if that's alright?

Out of curiousity, what differences are there between a CodeWarrior
project versus an MPW project?  The only reason I'm wondering is that
while the former is commercial, the latter is legally available for
free.

Re[2]: Macintosh OS 9.1 front end C interface

От
liam
Дата:
At 3:01 PM -0400 4/4/01, Eric W. Brown wrote:
>  > Oh well, I guess I'll plod along. I'll build it as a CodeWarrior
>>  project for Mac with a target of "library" if that's alright?
>
>Out of curiousity, what differences are there between a CodeWarrior
>project versus an MPW project?  The only reason I'm wondering is that
>while the former is commercial, the latter is legally available for
>free.

AFAIK, MPW and CW can both read each other's files with equal
facility. I just happen to like the IDE from CW better.

Other than that it is a good point:
make it MPW project, Mac Library . . .