Обсуждение: psql comment char??

psql comment char??

От
Mark Dzmura
Дата:
Sorry for this Q, but I only subscribe to interfaces list...

Is there a comment char/symbol for psql to allow me to annotate files that
I suck in with \i ????  I haven't stumbled on one so for, nor can i find
reference to one in the documentation...

thanks,
Mark Dzmura

--
)))) This email routed via a wireless gateway!! ((((

Вложения

Re: psql comment char??

От
"Ken J. Wright"
Дата:
/* this is a comment */
/* this is
also
comment
*/

There is also an alternate form, but I can't remember it.

Cheers!

Ken

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Mark Dzmura wrote:
> >%_Sorry for this Q, but I only subscribe to interfaces list...
>
> Is there a comment char/symbol for psql to allow me to annotate files that
> I suck in with \i ????  I haven't stumbled on one so for, nor can i find
> reference to one in the documentation...
>
> thanks,
> Mark Dzmura
>
> --
> )))) This email routed via a wireless gateway!! ((((

Re: psql comment char??

От
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Дата:
Thus spake Ken J. Wright
> /* this is a comment */
> /* this is
> also
> comment
> */
>
> There is also an alternate form, but I can't remember it.

I would call those the alternate forms.  The canonical (SQL) way is

-- This is a comment

Re: psql comment char??

От
"Ken J. Wright"
Дата:
> I would call those the alternate forms.  The canonical (SQL) way is
>
> -- This is a comment

Is this part of the SQL-92 spec?

Re: psql comment char??

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > I would call those the alternate forms.  The canonical (SQL) way is
> > -- This is a comment
> Is this part of the SQL-92 spec?

This is the *only* comment delimiter defined in the SQL92 spec. The "/*
.. */" form is present in several database products since a
block-delimited comment is very useful.
                      - Thomas

Re: psql comment char??

Дата:
>> Is this part of the SQL-92 spec?

> This is the *only* comment delimiter defined in the SQL92 spec. The "/*
> .. */" form is present in several database products since a
> block-delimited comment is very useful.

Note that SQL99 added /* ... */ comments.

We are not fully compliant with SQL99's comment specifications, since it
specifies that /* ... */ nest, which is a tad hard to implement in a
finite-state lexer :-(
        regards, tom lane

Re: psql comment char??

От
Grant Finnemore
Дата:
Mark Dzmura wrote:

> Sorry for this Q, but I only subscribe to interfaces list...
>
> Is there a comment char/symbol for psql to allow me to annotate files that
> I suck in with \i ????  I haven't stumbled on one so for, nor can i find
> reference to one in the documentation...

Either -- at start of comment portion (continues to EOL) or /* */ for comment
block -ala C.

> thanks,
> Mark Dzmura

Grant

--
> Poorly planned software requires a genius to write it
> and a hero to use it.

Grant Finnemore BSc(Eng)  (mailto:gaf@ucs.co.za)
Software Engineer         Universal Computer Services
Tel  (+27)(11)712-1366    PO Box 31266 Braamfontein 2017, South Africa
Cell (+27)(82)604-5536    20th Floor, 209 Smit St., Braamfontein
Fax  (+27)(11)339-3421    Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: psql comment char??

От
eisentrp@csis.gvsu.edu
Дата:
On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Mark Dzmura wrote:

> Is there a comment char/symbol for psql to allow me to annotate files that
> I suck in with \i ????  I haven't stumbled on one so for, nor can i find
> reference to one in the documentation...

The normal SQL comment characters:

-- (until end of line)

/* ... */