Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I am unable to compile the java code with kaffe.  Can anyone compile
> jdbc under 7.0?

Yup. Seems some form of jdk-1.2 works for me. But my default
/usr/bin/javac (on an old RH5.2 system), something called "pizza",
does not.

>  Can you email me that java files that are produced by
> the compile.  I need the *.jar file, and the *.class files.

Do you still need them? I can send what I built, but I'm pretty sure
that Peter Mount has a fresh package built and available on some web
site of his...
                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> >  Can you email me that java files that are produced by
> > the compile.  I need the *.jar file, and the *.class files.
> Do you still need them? I can send what I built, but I'm pretty sure
> that Peter Mount has a fresh package built and available on some web
> site of his...

If so, I need them (Java 1 and 2) for the RPM's.  I don't do Java -- and
the RPM's have historically packaged the .jar files as pulled verbatim
from retep.org.uk.  I haven't distributed RC2 RPM's yet for partially
that reason
-- the other part is the lack of an RC2-tested alpha patch.

NOTE:
I have gotten good response and patches to the RPM's from a number of
people this go around -- and it is ENCOURAGING!

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

Дата:
> > I am unable to compile the java code with kaffe.  Can anyone compile
> > jdbc under 7.0?
>
> Yup. Seems some form of jdk-1.2 works for me. But my default
> /usr/bin/javac (on an old RH5.2 system), something called "pizza",
> does not.
>
> >  Can you email me that java files that are produced by
> > the compile.  I need the *.jar file, and the *.class files.
>
> Do you still need them? I can send what I built, but I'm pretty sure
> that Peter Mount has a fresh package built and available on some web
> site of his...

I did get it working using Peter's 6.5.2 jar file.  I was not setting
the CLASSPATH to be the full file path.  I was setting it just to the
directory, which was my fault.  Peter's FAQ for jdbc helped me get it
working.

Peter E. sent me a jar file, but it used postgresql as the domain unstead
of org.postgresql, so it seems that is the 6.5.2 version too.  Peter's web
site does not have the 7.0 jar file there yet.

However, it seems kaffe can't compile self-referencing java files.  I
don't know enough about java to know that is a problem or not.

I did get it working well enough to get my java book example working.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> If so, I need them (Java 1 and 2) for the RPM's.  I don't do Java -- and
> the RPM's have historically packaged the .jar files as pulled verbatim
> from retep.org.uk.  I haven't distributed RC2 RPM's yet for partially
> that reason

"I don't do Java" can change fairly easily; just pick up the java
tarball from blackdown.org or sun.com, untar it into /usr/local, then
set your path via
 set path=(/usr/local/jdk-xxx $path)

Go into src/interfaces/jdbc and type
 make jdbc2

then grab the jar file(s).

otoh, how close are you Peter (hope you see this; I've blown away
enough email to have lost your address) to posting a built jar file or
whatever is usually provided? Should we post this somewhere on
postgresql.org to help out? Should I post my recently built stuff?

> NOTE:
> I have gotten good response and patches to the RPM's from a number of
> people this go around -- and it is ENCOURAGING!

Great!
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

От
Joachim Achtzehnter
Дата:
Today, in a message to Thomas Lockhart, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > I am unable to compile the java code with kaffe.  Can anyone compile
> > > jdbc under 7.0?
>
> However, it seems kaffe can't compile self-referencing java files.  I
> don't know enough about java to know that is a problem or not.

Have not tried with 7.0, but recent versions of Kaffe were definitely able
to compile the JDBC code that came with 6.5.3, but only after modifying
the version check in the makeVersion.java file in src/interfaces/jdbc (and
perhaps elsewhere where a versioon check occurs). The code checks for the
java version string and rejects everything that doesn't start with either
1.1 or 1.2. The problem was that Kaffe reports its own version, e.g. 1.02,
rather than the corresponding JDK version.

Joachim

--
private:  joachim@kraut.bc.ca    (http://www.kraut.bc.ca)
work:     joachim@mercury.bc.ca  (http://www.mercury.bc.ca)

Re: [HACKERS] Request for 7.0 JDBC status

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> otoh, how close are you Peter (hope you see this; I've blown away
> enough email to have lost your address) to posting a built jar file or
> whatever is usually provided? Should we post this somewhere on
> postgresql.org to help out? Should I post my recently built stuff?

Ah, found Peter's e-mail address in an obvious place (the jdbc source
tree).

Another question for Peter: would it be possible to update the README
file in the source tree, and other ancillary files? I know you've been
very busy, but even a brief fixup to adjust dates and version numbers
would be helpful for 7.0.
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

Дата:

> > However, it seems kaffe can't compile self-referencing java files.  I
> > don't know enough about java to know that is a problem or not.
>
> Have not tried with 7.0, but recent versions of Kaffe were definitely able
> to compile the JDBC code that came with 6.5.3, but only after modifying
> the version check in the makeVersion.java file in src/interfaces/jdbc (and
> perhaps elsewhere where a versioon check occurs). The code checks for the
> java version string and rejects everything that doesn't start with either
> 1.1 or 1.2. The problem was that Kaffe reports its own version, e.g. 1.02,
> rather than the corresponding JDK version.

Interesting.  It does compile under kaffe 1.05, but the mutually
dependent java files cause a compile error.  Seems 6.5.3 had the same
problem, so I am not sure why it would have worked then.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

От
Joachim Achtzehnter
Дата:
Today, Bruce Momjian wrote in an email addressed to Joachim Achtzehnter:

> Interesting.  It does compile under kaffe 1.05, but the mutually
> dependent java files cause a compile error.  Seems 6.5.3 had the same
> problem, so I am not sure why it would have worked then.

Well, it is conceivable that I was actually compiling it with jikes, and
only used Kaffe to run it. In fact, now that I think of it, this is most
likely what I did. Even then, with some version of the driver I had to
patch a runtime version check to make it behave as if Kaffe was a 1.1 JVM.

It is true that Kaffe has a number of problems. Nevertheless, given that
it is licensed under the GPL some people prefer it over the alternatives
even if it has some drawbacks.

Joachim

--
joachim@kraut.bc.ca   (http://www.kraut.bc.ca)
joachim@mercury.bc.ca (http://www.mercury.bc.ca)

Re: Request for 7.0 JDBC status

Дата:
> Today, Bruce Momjian wrote in an email addressed to Joachim Achtzehnter:
> >
> > Interesting.  It does compile under kaffe 1.05, but the mutually
> > dependent java files cause a compile error.  Seems 6.5.3 had the same
> > problem, so I am not sure why it would have worked then.
>
> Well, it is conceivable that I was actually compiling it with jikes, and
> only used Kaffe to run it. In fact, now that I think of it, this is most
> likely what I did. Even then, with some version of the driver I had to
> patch a runtime version check to make it behave as if Kaffe was a 1.1 JVM.
>
> It is true that Kaffe has a number of problems. Nevertheless, given that
> it is licensed under the GPL some people prefer it over the alternatives
> even if it has some drawbacks.

Starting the kaffe 1.05, they now use KOPI as their java compiler. I
have contacted them about the problem to see if they can help.

This is clearly a kaffe-related problem, and not a problem with our
jdbc, which is good news.

Pennsylvania19026