Обсуждение: ODBC and RDO

ODBC and RDO

От
Robert Hiltibidal
Дата:
Howdy,

We're haing fun creating rdo dsnless connections in Visual Basic. Works
really cool cept for one itsy problem...

What is the flag that tuns off the read only attributes of the odbc driver?
Where can one find a listing of all the flags the driver supports?

DSNless is a project requiremnet.

Thanks

-Rob

RE: ODBC and RDO

От
"Hiroki Kataoka"
Дата:
Robert Hiltibidal wrote:
> We're haing fun creating rdo dsnless connections in Visual Basic. Works
> really cool cept for one itsy problem...
>
> What is the flag that tuns off the read only attributes of the
> odbc driver?

READONLY=0

> Where can one find a listing of all the flags the driver supports?

I don't know its location.  But I cat list up some flags.

PORT=5432
READONLY=0/1 ("0" meens off, "1" meens on)
PROTOCOL=/6.3/6.2 (The empty string meens 6.4)
FAKEOIDINDEX=0/1
SHOWOIDCOLUMN=0/1
ROWVERSIONING=0/1
SHOWSYSTEMTABLES=0/1
CONNSETTINGS=... (If you want to put ";" then use "%3b" instead.)

=====
Hiroki Kataoka

Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO

От
Robert Hiltibidal
Дата:
Thanks! Cured our problem.

This does bring another point to bear tho. There is very little if any
documentation easily found on the postgresql site. I think its a matter of
too much to do and not enough hands.

Woulod the parties that run the postgresql web site be interested in 3rd
party endeavors at documentation?

-Rob

INTERFACES ODBC

От
Adolfo Diaz
Дата:
Hello,

My MS Access 97 connected to the PostgreSQL server using ODBC, but I
received a read only result set, why?

Regards,
Adolfo.

Re: [INTERFACES] INTERFACES ODBC

От
Mike Mascari

Adolfo Diaz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My MS Access 97 connected to the PostgreSQL server using ODBC, but I
> received a read only result set, why?
>
> Regards,
> Adolfo.
>
> ************

Check the settings for your ODBC driver in the control
panel:

Driver->Read Only: should be unchecked
Data Source->Read Only: should be unchecked

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari

Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Woulod the parties that run the postgresql web site be interested in 3rd
> party endeavors at documentation?

Uh, sure! Read the current docs to see the plea for more contributions
to docs ;)

Anyway, there are several kinds of docs available, but the primary
formatted docs are posted on the web and ftp sites and are available
in the tarball distribution. All areas could use more info or
rewriting, and as you've noticed some areas are waiting for someone to
take the initiative and just do 'em. The sources are in DocBook SGML,
and they are typically formatted to HTML and Postscript.

Feel free to suggest additions or changes, or to take on a larger
project. If you are going to write or rewrite a whole section or
topic, it is probably a good thing to announce something on the
hackers or docs mailing list so folks know that some work is coming
up. Also, if you have any questions or need help formatting the docs,
feel free to ask. I'd much rather answer questions than write them
from scratch...
                         - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO

От
Robert Hiltibidal
Дата:
Coolness...

I think I'd like to start on ODBC for win32. I've got the original  notes
people sent on dsnless connections and other stuff. Anything anyone wants
to contribute please drop me a line.

As for format... What about PDF files? We're finding here, where we have to
regularly make 100 page reports or better, PDF is working better for us
than html or postscript. I know people will say postscript is pdf... not
exactly =) Thought I'd ask first. =)

>and they are typically formatted to HTML and Postscript.

Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Robert Hiltibidal wrote:

> Coolness...
>
> I think I'd like to start on ODBC for win32. I've got the original  notes
> people sent on dsnless connections and other stuff. Anything anyone wants
> to contribute please drop me a line.
>
> As for format... What about PDF files? We're finding here, where we have to
> regularly make 100 page reports or better, PDF is working better for us
> than html or postscript. I know people will say postscript is pdf... not
> exactly =) Thought I'd ask first. =)

PDF isn't that difficult to implement (see the sig). Postscript and PDF
are related at the graphics operator level, but other than that, its a
different beast.

Peter

--      Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf

Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > I think I'd like to start on ODBC for win32. I've got the original  notes
> > people sent on dsnless connections and other stuff. Anything anyone wants
> > to contribute please drop me a line.

Great!

> > As for format... What about PDF files? We're finding here, where we have to
> > regularly make 100 page reports or better, PDF is working better for us
> > than html or postscript. I know people will say postscript is pdf... not
> > exactly =) Thought I'd ask first. =)
> PDF isn't that difficult to implement (see the sig). Postscript and PDF
> are related at the graphics operator level, but other than that, its a
> different beast.

At the moment, the doc generation scheme is completely automated for
HTML. For hardcopy (done at each big release), I automatically
generate RTF, do minor adjustments using Applix, and then save as
Postscript. Folks have generated PDF from the PS files (they are
available at ftp://postgresql.org) but afaik direct generation of PDF
would have the same drawbacks as other formats wrt needing minor
markup fixes. The current scheme is definitely *not* ideal, but it
works and the tools are available to me on my Linux box (doesn't PDF
have some proprietary tools required?).

For the regular PDF generation, we have had at least a couple of
volunteers, but since the hardcopy changes so infrequently we don't
stay in touch and I'm not sure if they are still available or if there
are other issues wrt PDF generation that a "team approach" would be
helpful.
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO

Дата:
> ... Folks have generated PDF from the PS files (they are
> available at ftp://postgresql.org) but afaik direct generation of PDF
> would have the same drawbacks as other formats wrt needing minor
> markup fixes. The current scheme is definitely *not* ideal, but it
> works and the tools are available to me on my Linux box (doesn't PDF
> have some proprietary tools required?).

FYI, the soon-to-appear 6.0 release of Ghostscript will have PDF-writing
capability: feed it a plain PS file, get PDF.  I haven't played with it,
but I believe it will be a reasonable freeware substitute for Adobe's
PDF-creation tools.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [INTERFACES] INTERFACES ODBC

От
Adolfo Diaz
Дата:
Hi,

> Check the settings for your ODBC driver in the control
> panel:
> Driver->Read Only: uncheckedData Source->Read Only: unchecked
and my MS Access result set still read only.

Greetings,
Adolfo.

Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO

От
"Hossein S. Zadeh"
Дата:
On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> FYI, the soon-to-appear 6.0 release of Ghostscript will have PDF-writing
> capability: feed it a plain PS file, get PDF.  I haven't played with it,
> but I believe it will be a reasonable freeware substitute for Adobe's
> PDF-creation tools.

FYI, Ghostscript (on Linux) has had this at least since late 1998
(I have "ps2pdf" as part of ghostscript 5.10 on a RedHat 5.2).

I know this as I always submit my papers (written in LaTeX) to conferences
in PDF format (especially when they ask for Microsoft Word format :-)

I have also heard of "dvi2pdf" (or "dvipdf"), but have not used it myself.

cheers,
Hossein

Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > I think I'd like to start on ODBC for win32. I've got the original  notes
> > > people sent on dsnless connections and other stuff. Anything anyone wants
> > > to contribute please drop me a line.
>
> Great!
>
> > > As for format... What about PDF files? We're finding here, where we have to
> > > regularly make 100 page reports or better, PDF is working better for us
> > > than html or postscript. I know people will say postscript is pdf... not
> > > exactly =) Thought I'd ask first. =)
> > PDF isn't that difficult to implement (see the sig). Postscript and PDF
> > are related at the graphics operator level, but other than that, its a
> > different beast.
>
> At the moment, the doc generation scheme is completely automated for
> HTML. For hardcopy (done at each big release), I automatically
> generate RTF, do minor adjustments using Applix, and then save as
> Postscript. Folks have generated PDF from the PS files (they are
> available at ftp://postgresql.org) but afaik direct generation of PDF
> would have the same drawbacks as other formats wrt needing minor
> markup fixes.

I did convert the 6.4 and 6.5 versions of the docs from ps to pdf. I've
got to remove my copies from my web site, and link to the central versions
as they are now obsolete.

> The current scheme is definitely *not* ideal, but it
> works and the tools are available to me on my Linux box (doesn't PDF
> have some proprietary tools required?).

Not true. The recent versions of Ghostscript can convert PS to PDF direct.

Also, Adobe are releasing their Distiller tool for Linux in March (a beta
is on their website I believe). Not sure if its a free or pay item though.

> For the regular PDF generation, we have had at least a couple of
> volunteers, but since the hardcopy changes so infrequently we don't
> stay in touch and I'm not sure if they are still available or if there
> are other issues wrt PDF generation that a "team approach" would be
> helpful.

Well, I must be one of them. I have the full Adobe Acrobat Exchange
product here, so I can add things like annotations (bookmarks), hyper
links etc.

Distiller does add some postscript extensions that allow these to be
generated on the fly, but I think it's better done by hand.

Peter

--      Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf

Re: [INTERFACES] RE: ODBC and RDO

Дата:
"Hossein S. Zadeh" <hossein@bf.rmit.edu.au> writes:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
>> FYI, the soon-to-appear 6.0 release of Ghostscript will have PDF-writing
>> capability: feed it a plain PS file, get PDF.  I haven't played with it,
>> but I believe it will be a reasonable freeware substitute for Adobe's
>> PDF-creation tools.

> FYI, Ghostscript (on Linux) has had this at least since late 1998
> (I have "ps2pdf" as part of ghostscript 5.10 on a RedHat 5.2).

Sorry, I should have said that gs 6.0 will have a much better PDF
writer than before.
        regards, tom lane