Обсуждение: Re: [INTERFACES] psql trerminal behaviour

Re: [INTERFACES] psql trerminal behaviour

От
"Ken J. Wright"
Дата:
At 16:48 09/29/1999 +0100, eem21@cam.ac.uk wrote:
>On 29 Sep, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> (I'd say this is a mispackaging of readline, BTW: installed headers
>> belong with the library, not with the sources.  By that logic a
>> non-devel RH system would ship with an empty /usr/include tree and you
>> couldn't compile *anything*.  But I doubt RH cares what I think...)
>
>I think that's what they're aiming at - a distribution with which Joe
>User doesn't have to compile anything (he lets somebody else do it).
>By extension, if he doesn't want to compile anything, then he doesn't
>want the header files on there either.  I think that's the way these
>distributions should be.

I guess I'm a little confused by all this. I took a new box, installed
RedHat 6.0, selecting custom,all (also did a workstation only). Then
installed PostgreSQL 6.5.1 source, compiled & installed. My cursor keys
work fine & /usr/include is full of headers (506) including readline.h. I
don't see a problem with RH package or Postgres. Seems more like the case
of a uniquely buggered machine.

Ken

Re: [INTERFACES] psql trerminal behaviour

От
Spirou
Дата:
Moray McConnachie wrote:

> (...) e.g, under RedHat 6.0, where you would need to
> install not only readline-x.y.rpm (installed by default), but
> readline-devel-x.y.rpm, which is not installed by default, IIRC. Might
> it be worth sticking something like this on the install FAQ?

Yes, and add a small notice saying that the Debian Postgres package
maintainer has made a very good job, the installation is a breeze and
the dependancies are all checked by the Debian system.

apt'n roll :-)

A satisfied Debian user

P.S.
It's not to lower RedHat, but to thank the Debian team.
And by the way, thanks to the PG team too ...

Re: [INTERFACES] psql trerminal behaviour

От
"Tim Joyce"
Дата:
> >On 29 Sep, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> >> (I'd say this is a mispackaging of readline, BTW: installed headers
> >> belong with the library, not with the sources.  By that logic a
> >> non-devel RH system would ship with an empty /usr/include tree and you
> >> couldn't compile *anything*.  But I doubt RH cares what I think...)
> >
> >I think that's what they're aiming at - a distribution with which Joe
> >User doesn't have to compile anything (he lets somebody else do it).
> >By extension, if he doesn't want to compile anything, then he doesn't
> >want the header files on there either.  I think that's the way these
> >distributions should be.
>
> I guess I'm a little confused by all this. I took a new box, installed
> RedHat 6.0, selecting custom,all (also did a workstation only). Then
> installed PostgreSQL 6.5.1 source, compiled & installed. My cursor keys
> work fine & /usr/include is full of headers (506) including readline.h. I
> don't see a problem with RH package or Postgres. Seems more like the case
> of a uniquely buggered machine.

My problem arises from the fact that I didn't select 'C development' when
installing, as i figured i wasn't a C programmer (I was doing an FTP install
over ISDN).  RH may be advised to change the package description for C
development to 'if you wan't to do _anything_ useful with your system'.  We
live and learn.  BTW IMHO installing RH Linux is easier than installing
Windows NT, which is great.

timj