Обсуждение: Not Null Field

Not Null Field

От
Margarita Barvinok
Дата:
Hi,

I created the phonebook table with NOT NULL fileds:

create table phonebook (
first varchar(20) NOT NULL,
last varchar(20) NOT NULL,
uniqname char(8) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
phone varchar(30),
status char(7) NOT NULL,
room varchar(40) );

If I try to insert NULL values into those fields from psql I got an error
message - that is right.
But when I insert records from my C-program (with embedded SQL) I dot no
errors and such records are added to the table. I even can insert empty
record. Why this happens? Do I need to write some code to check NULL
values?

Thank you,
-Margarita

-------------------------------
Margarita Barvinok
System Administrator II
University of Michigan
Department of Biology
-------------------------------

Re: [INTERFACES] Not Null Field

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 11:34:42AM -0400, Margarita Barvinok wrote:
> But when I insert records from my C-program (with embedded SQL) I dot no

How do you do that?

> errors and such records are added to the table. I even can insert empty
> record. Why this happens? Do I need to write some code to check NULL
> values?

You shouldn't. Would you please send us a piece of source code?

Michael
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!

Re: [INTERFACES] Not Null Field

От
Ivo Simicevic
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 11:34:42AM -0400, Margarita Barvinok wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created the phonebook table with NOT NULL fileds:
>
> create table phonebook (
> first varchar(20) NOT NULL,
> last varchar(20) NOT NULL,
> uniqname char(8) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
> phone varchar(30),
> status char(7) NOT NULL,
> room varchar(40) );
>
> If I try to insert NULL values into those fields from psql I got an error
> message - that is right.
> But when I insert records from my C-program (with embedded SQL) I dot no
> errors and such records are added to the table. I even can insert empty
> record. Why this happens? Do I need to write some code to check NULL
> values?
>
> Thank you,
> -Margarita

How are you doing it? Can you send your source?
I guess you are not entering NULL but empty string values.

Ivo.

Re: [INTERFACES] Not Null Field

От
Margarita Barvinok
Дата:
Ivo, I think you are right. I inserted empty strings.
Thank you for reply.

-Margarita