Обсуждение: Loading libpgtcl on HP-UX Systems

Craig Orsinger
Дата:
I'm having difficulty with loading the libpgtcl on an
HP-UX 10.20 system. The PostgreSQL version is 6.4.2. When I
run pgaccess, or another TCL script that requires loading
libpgtcl.so (or libpgtcl.sl), it fails with a "no such file"
message. In the case of pgaccess, I got around this by having
that script start up "pgtksh" instead of "wish". Unfortunately,
this is not possible in the other script, since it is actually
using a special interpreter already (scwish, from the Scotty
network editor). TCL version is 7.6, and Tk version is 4.2.
       Has anyone been able to make this work on this version
of HP-UX? If so, what did you have to do? To save some time, here
are things I have tried:
       - Creating a symbolic link from libpgtcl.sl to libpgtcl.so       - Changing the script to load "libpgtcl.sl"
 - Changing the script to load "/opt/postgres/lib/libpgtcl.sl"         (which, of course, is the location of the
library)      - setting SHLIB_PATH to /opt/postgres/lib       - setting TCLLIBPATH to /opt/postgres/lib       - editing
theinit.tcl script for TCL

       My suspicion is that this has something to do with the
difference between shared, demand loadable, and dynamic libraries,
all of which are supported by HP-UX but, of course, require
different procedures for building and installing libraries and
the executables that use them.
       Upgrading to a more recent version of TCL/Tk or PostgreSQL
is acceptable, providing I can be assured that this will cure the
problem.

----------------------------------
Date: 29-Jul-99  Time: 11:36:20

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor
----------------------------------

MS VBA and accessing postgresql

От
Paul Rushing
Дата:
What's the best way to have a VBA Office97 app insert data into a
networked postgresql database.  I have the ODBC driver installed for
postgres, but am having problems getting the DAO stuff setup properly.
Any other options?

or any references or example code?

==========================
Paul Rushing
rushing@shreve.net
==========================

Re: [INTERFACES] Loading libpgtcl on HP-UX Systems

Дата:
Craig Orsinger <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil> writes:
>         I'm having difficulty with loading the libpgtcl on an
> HP-UX 10.20 system. The PostgreSQL version is 6.4.2. When I
> run pgaccess, or another TCL script that requires loading
> libpgtcl.so (or libpgtcl.sl), it fails with a "no such file"
> message.

The problem is that libpgtcl.sl requires libpq.sl, and the dynamic
loader doesn't know where to look for the latter.  You need to
set up an appropriate shlib search path.  (Eventually we are going
to fix things so that the installed copy of libpgtcl.sl contains
the absolute path of the installed copy of libpq.sl, which should
remove the need for a search path, but it's not done yet.)

>         - setting SHLIB_PATH to /opt/postgres/lib

That would have worked if your wish executable was marked to use
SHLIB_PATH, but it likely ain't.  Use chatr(1) to inspect and change
the SHLIB_PATH-enabled flag on a binary.  Alternatively, embed the
right search path into the binary at its link time (the installed
copies of pgtclsh and pgtksh are set up that way on HPUX).

>         Upgrading to a more recent version of TCL/Tk or PostgreSQL
> is acceptable, providing I can be assured that this will cure the
> problem.

You should upgrade to 6.5.1 on general principles, but this particular
issue has not changed.
        regards, tom lane