Обсуждение: RE: [INTERFACES] I am new to this

RE: [INTERFACES] I am new to this

От
Michael J Davis
Дата:
Turn on logging in the PostgreSQL ODBC driver and take a look in
c:\psqlodbc????.log after the error.  This will show what is happening when
the error occurs.
-----Original Message-----From:    Khristos I. Khoury [SMTP:ikhoury@user1.stritch.edu]Sent:    Thursday, May 06, 1999
9:33PMTo:    pgsql-interfaces@postgreSQL.orgSubject:    [INTERFACES] I am new to this

Greetings,I am new to this and have very short time to complete this project,
soplease excuse  me if I this question has been asked before.My situation:I installed Postgress on Unix FreeBSD server
3.0created a data

base.I can access data base from Microsoft Access97 with and update with
noproblems.  My project is to use Visual Basic 5.0 and be able to link
to mydata base on the Unix server and upate information.The problem I having is that VisData (Visual Data Manager) I
seeauser:admin shwoing on the bottom left of the screen and everything

is ReadOnly. I checked The ODBC properties and made sure that ReadOnly wasunchecked. Also I gave full permission to
anyoneto access my Data

Base onthe Unix server. The question is what am I missing that is holding me from updating?I tried in the option
Worksapceto enter my username and password on

theUnix server Data Base to connect but it will not accept it..!!Any help will be appreciated.

Khristos I  Khouryikhoury@user1.stritch.edu

RE: [INTERFACES] I am new to this

От
"Khristos I. Khoury"
Дата:
Dome that already, no luck.
Any other ideas?

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Michael J Davis wrote:

> Turn on logging in the PostgreSQL ODBC driver and take a look in
> c:\psqlodbc????.log after the error.  This will show what is happening when
> the error occurs.

DSN info:
DSN='PostgreSQL',server='user3.stritch.edu',port='5432',dbase='vb5',user='ikhoury',passwd='123qwe'

readonly='0',protocol='6.4',showoid='0',fakeoidindex='0',showsystable='0'         conn_settings=''
translation_dll='',translation_option=''

It says ReadOnly? On the other hand in Access it is Read-Write? Any clues?
Thanks

Re: [INTERFACES] I am new to this

От
Byron Nikolaidis
Дата:
"Khristos I. Khoury" wrote:

> DSN info:
> DSN='PostgreSQL',server='user3.stritch.edu',port='5432',dbase='vb5',user='ikhoury',passwd='123qwe'
>
> readonly='0',protocol='6.4',showoid='0',fakeoidindex='0',showsystable='0'
>           conn_settings=''
>           translation_dll='',translation_option=''
>
> It says ReadOnly? On the other hand in Access it is Read-Write? Any clues?
> Thanks

Actually, readonly=0 means false, so it is NOT readonly.

If you can't update in Access, check to make sure you have a unique index on the table.  The Jet
Database Engine queries the table when you link it to make sure there is a unique index on it.  If it
is, then you should be able to update.    If the JET can't find a unique index, then it should pop up
a dialog which asks you to tell it what the unique field(s) are.

Did you see such a dialog?

Byron

Re: [INTERFACES] I am new to this

От
"Khristos I. Khoury"
Дата:
Do not get me qrong I can update on Access, but I can not update on Visual
Basic. using VisData adin.

> Actually, readonly=0 means false, so it is NOT readonly.
>
> If you can't update in Access, check to make sure you have a unique index on the table.  The Jet
> Database Engine queries the table when you link it to make sure there is a unique index on it.  If it
> is, then you should be able to update.    If the JET can't find a unique index, then it should pop up
> a dialog which asks you to tell it what the unique field(s) are.
>
> Did you see such a dialog?
>
> Byron

Re: [INTERFACES] I am new to this

От
Byron Nikolaidis
Дата:
"Khristos I. Khoury" wrote:

> Do not get me qrong I can update on Access, but I can not update on Visual
> Basic. using VisData adin.

Are you using the right kind of resultset?  I can't remember exactly, but I think snapshot won't be
updateable.  You need to use some other kind, like maybe a dynaset or something like that.  I do remember
that in VisData, there is an option to set the kind of resultset.

Byron