Обсуждение: Re: [INTERFACES] interface to MSsql server

Re: [INTERFACES] interface to MSsql server

От
Antonio Mendez
Дата:
OK,

    There may be some confusion here.    PostgreSQL is an SQL server.
    There
    are, additionally, several interfaces included in the PostgreSQL
    package
    which client applications on various platforms and languages need
    communicate to the PostgreSQL.   One of these interfaces is the
    ODBC
    driver library.   This interface like all the other included
    interfaces,
    is written to ONLY communicate to the PostgreSQL server.

I know it, but I'm searching a client which will must to connect with
Microsoft SQL server 6.5, the client is linux box. The interface to use
is OBDC.
Is unavoidable the use of the data base MS-SQL  server :(
There is a application for to do it??????

Best regard,

Antonio Mendez A.
email: antonio@unbol.bo

    Antonio Mendez wrote:

    > hi friend,
    > I want to connect from a linux box (redhat 5.2 and postgresql i
    > the data base
    > MS -SQL server of microsoft, by means of ODBC interface.
    > Is it possible?
    >
    > The postgresSQL is the client y the MS-SQL is the server.

Re: [INTERFACES] interface to MSsql server

От
Hannu Krosing

Antonio Mendez wrote:

> I know it, but I'm searching a client which will must to connect with
> Microsoft SQL server 6.5, the client is linux box. The interface to use
> is OBDC.
> Is unavoidable the use of the data base MS-SQL  server :(
> There is a application for to do it??????

You may have some luck using SyBase client libraries, AFAIK the
early MSSQL used the same protocols (was probably a port of SyBase)

Search for sometihing called cbt (I think there is/was even a project
to develop free sybase client libs for linux)

Your other alternative is to try running DOS clients (if there are
such) inside DOSEMU on linux and create an interface for them.
Probably not very effective nor easy.

Or just write to Microsoft and demand client libraries for Linux ;)

Or perhaps they have client libs or command line client for SCO or
Unixware or Solaris that would run with IBCS.

----------------
Hannu Krosing

Re: [INTERFACES] interface to MSsql server

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 05:36:09PM -0400, Antonio Mendez wrote:
> I know it, but I'm searching a client which will must to connect with
> Microsoft SQL server 6.5, the client is linux box. The interface to use
> is OBDC.

AFAIK ODBC drivers are for M$ platforms only.

> Is unavoidable the use of the data base MS-SQL  server :(
> There is a application for to do it??????

To the best of my knowledge: NO!

Michael
Email: Michael.Meskes@gmx.net          | Use PostgreSQL!