Обсуждение: Connection via remote client

Connection via remote client

От
Olivier TURPIN
Дата:
hi!

I'm a new user of PostgreSQL. that's maybe the reason for my asking this
question.
I'm trying to connect via ODBC or pgAdmin from a Win95 client, but the
connection is always refused. I tried to have a look in the postgreSQL
files and modified the pg_hba.conf file to allow remote connection from
the client address with the line:
host    all      190.1.1.1         255.255.255.255         trust
No way ! I could not manage to establish that connection !

Can anyone help ? Thanks a lot !

O. Turpin

Вложения

Re: [INTERFACES] Connection via remote client

От
Olivier TURPIN
Дата:
Hello,

I thank you for your quick answer !
But the problem still remains. I launched the postmaster with the following
command line:
    postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
Idea of what happens ?
I wonder if there is a special user to be defined prior to any connection (?)

Thanks.

Sferacarta Software wrote:

> Hello Olivier,
>
> sabato, 17 ottobre 98, you wrote:
>
> OT> hi!
>
> OT> I'm a new user of PostgreSQL. that's maybe the reason for my asking this
> OT> question.
> OT> I'm trying to connect via ODBC or pgAdmin from a Win95 client, but the
> OT> connection is always refused. I tried to have a look in the postgreSQL
> OT> files and modified the pg_hba.conf file to allow remote connection from
> OT> the client address with the line:
> OT> host    all      190.1.1.1         255.255.255.255         trust
> OT> No way ! I could not manage to establish that connection !
>
> OT> Can anyone help ? Thanks a lot !
>
> You need running postmaster with -i parameter.
>
>   Jose'

Вложения

Re: [INTERFACES] Connection via remote client

Дата:
Olivier TURPIN <turpin_olivier@bigfoot.com> writes:
> But the problem still remains. I launched the postmaster with the following
> command line:
>     postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
> I wonder if there is a special user to be defined prior to any connection (?)

Well, that's a good point.  The postmaster will only accept connections
from clients that give one of the usernames authorized to access the
database --- this is above and beyond the client IP address check.

initdb will create the database with only one authorized user,
namely whoever is running initdb.  You may need to add another user
corresponding to whatever userID the Win95 client is supplying.  See the
"createuser" script supplied with Postgres.

(Do you even know what user name the Win95 client is supplying?
You may just need to set it appropriately.  I have no idea what the
Win95 client-side libraries use for a default user ID, but it very
likely wouldn't be the same as your Unix userID.)

            regards, tom lane