Обсуждение: Remote access ODBC/MS-Access

Remote access ODBC/MS-Access

От
"Roeland M.J. Meyer"
Дата:
This is probably a newbie question, or one that's already been seen before.
However, I'm new to PostgreSQL. I've been researching the dox since
Wednesday, to no avail. I have already called MS and they were as helpful
as they could be. Decent help on MS-Access and they have me on ODBC Manager
v3.5. I am reasonably confident that the System DSN is correctly done.

Client-side:
WinNT40SP3
Version of MS-Access is from MS-Office97 SR1
ODBC Manager v3.5.

Server-side:
I have the following installed on a heavily modified Caldera OpenLinux
(standard) box. Kernel is at v2.0.33.

Postgres version is "postgresql-6.3.2"
PostODBC version is "PsqlODBC-6.30.0249.exe"

LAN is 100baseTX (switched) on /28

PROBLEM:

I can not seem to access the data server. I did a parallel install, on a
similar server on the same sub-net. I set PGHOST and PGPORT as advertised
and I get the following error;

>postgres@condor:/rdbms$> psql customerdb
>Connection to database 'customerdb' failed.
>connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running at 'raven.mhsc.com' on port
'5432'?

Note: customerdb exists with only one table, the "bar" from the Admin Manual.

I get similar dialog boxen from the NT machines.

My "pg_hba.conf" looks like this (unitl I get this working):

>host         all   199.108.175.0   255.255.255.0     trust
>local        all                                         trust
>host         all         127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255   trust

Please respond via regular e-mail, as well as to the list.

PS. This is definitely NOT Oracle <grin>

Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
Colorado Springs, CO - Livermore, CA - Morgan Hill,
CA
Domain Administrator
MHSC2-DOM and MHSC3-DOM
Administrative and Technical contact
InterNIC Id: MHSC hostmaster (HM239-ORG)
e-mail: <mailto:hostmaster@mhsc.com>mailto:hostmaster@mhsc.com
web -pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/>http://www.mhsc.com/

Re: [INTERFACES] Remote access ODBC/MS-Access

От
David Hartwig
Дата:
There is a checklist on http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc/psqlodbc_faq.html.

Off the top of my head:    Did you start postmaster with the -i option?

Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> This is probably a newbie question, or one that's already been seen before.
> However, I'm new to PostgreSQL. I've been researching the dox since
> Wednesday, to no avail. I have already called MS and they were as helpful
> as they could be. Decent help on MS-Access and they have me on ODBC Manager
> v3.5. I am reasonably confident that the System DSN is correctly done.
>
> Client-side:
> WinNT40SP3
> Version of MS-Access is from MS-Office97 SR1
> ODBC Manager v3.5.
>
> Server-side:
> I have the following installed on a heavily modified Caldera OpenLinux
> (standard) box. Kernel is at v2.0.33.
>
> Postgres version is "postgresql-6.3.2"
> PostODBC version is "PsqlODBC-6.30.0249.exe"
>
> LAN is 100baseTX (switched) on /28
>
> PROBLEM:
>
> I can not seem to access the data server. I did a parallel install, on a
> similar server on the same sub-net. I set PGHOST and PGPORT as advertised
> and I get the following error;
>
> >postgres@condor:/rdbms$> psql customerdb
> >Connection to database 'customerdb' failed.
> >connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running at 'raven.mhsc.com' on port
> '5432'?
>
> Note: customerdb exists with only one table, the "bar" from the Admin Manual.
>
> I get similar dialog boxen from the NT machines.
>
> My "pg_hba.conf" looks like this (unitl I get this working):
>
> >host         all   199.108.175.0   255.255.255.0     trust
> >local        all                                         trust
> >host         all         127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255   trust
>
> Please respond via regular e-mail, as well as to the list.
>
> PS. This is definitely NOT Oracle <grin>

> Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
> Colorado Springs, CO - Livermore, CA - Morgan Hill,
> CA
> Domain Administrator
> MHSC2-DOM and MHSC3-DOM
> Administrative and Technical contact
> InterNIC Id: MHSC hostmaster (HM239-ORG)
> e-mail: <mailto:hostmaster@mhsc.com>mailto:hostmaster@mhsc.com
> web -pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/>http://www.mhsc.com/

Re: [INTERFACES] Remote access ODBC/MS-Access

Дата:
"Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer@mhsc.com> writes:
>> postgres@condor:/rdbms$> psql customerdb
>> Connection to database 'customerdb' failed.
>> connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running at 'raven.mhsc.com' on port
> '5432'?

If you look at the code in src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c, you'll
find this message is generated if the connect() system call fails,
which means you don't have connectivity to the postmaster.

You need not worry about whether the database exists or whether
hba.conf allows you to connect, because none of those conditions
can be checked until the postmaster receives the startup request
packet from the client --- and your client is not even getting
as far as sending that packet.

A quick-and-dirty point is did you start the postmaster with -i
on its command line?  If not it won't be listening for TCP
connections, only unix-socket connections.

Otherwise it seems like you must have an addressing or physical
connectivity problem of some kind...

            regards, tom lane

Re: [INTERFACES] Remote access ODBC/MS-Access

От
"Roeland M.J. Meyer"
Дата:
At 09:59 AM 8/21/98 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>"Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer@mhsc.com> writes:
>>> postgres@condor:/rdbms$> psql customerdb
>>> Connection to database 'customerdb' failed.
>>> connectDB() failed: Is the postmaster running at 'raven.mhsc.com' on port
>> '5432'?
>
>If you look at the code in src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c, you'll
>find this message is generated if the connect() system call fails,
>which means you don't have connectivity to the postmaster.
>
>You need not worry about whether the database exists or whether
>hba.conf allows you to connect, because none of those conditions
>can be checked until the postmaster receives the startup request
>packet from the client --- and your client is not even getting
>as far as sending that packet.
>
>A quick-and-dirty point is did you start the postmaster with -i
>on its command line?  If not it won't be listening for TCP
>connections, only unix-socket connections.

Nope. BTW, the man-pages do not mention a -i switch. Are there any parameters?

>Otherwise it seems like you must have an addressing or physical
>connectivity problem of some kind...

Samba works, as well as, BIND, SSH, Apache-SSL, rlogin, etc... raven has
been on-line since Dec97.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com>rmeyer@mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
SecureMail from MHSC.NET is coming soon!