Обсуждение: postgres for spatial data

postgres for spatial data

От
David Gross
Дата:
Hello,

    I want to use postgres as a spatial database manager.
    I'm looking for a graphical interface that can display the
geometric types like polygon,...

    I'm also looking for SQL extension in order to make
spatial queries (for example, a function that tells if a point
belongs to the interior of a polygon)

    Thanks for your help,

David
dgross@lri.fr

OutOfMemoryException ??

От
John Reilly
Дата:
Hi all,
    Someone wrote asking about an out of memory exception recently.
I had a similar problem with javac.

The solution : give the jvm more memory with the -mx switch

java -mx48m .......
to give it 48 Megs.

The default is 16M

John Reilly - jr@broadcom.ie     Tel: +353 1 6046006      Fax: +353 1
6761532
Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with
inanimate
objects.  Approach with extreme caution!

Re: [INTERFACES] postgres for spatial data

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, David Gross wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I want to use postgres as a spatial database manager.
>     I'm looking for a graphical interface that can display the
> geometric types like polygon,...

The reason I started working on the JDBC driver was so that I could use
postgres for Spatial work with another project of mine. (I've been working
partly with GIS for the last four years).

Anyhow, on the java front, the other project is an astronomical toolkit
that uses postgres as a storage medium, and employs several GIS techniques
for chart generation.

Any how, I'm hoping to have the initial release of it to be out around the
same time as postgresql 6.4 is out.

>     I'm also looking for SQL extension in order to make
> spatial queries (for example, a function that tells if a point
> belongs to the interior of a polygon)

I haven't got that far on the spatial queries yet (most of the work I've
done so far uses just points).

Also, the available functions are all two dimensional, and I will need
to handle spherical geometry in queries at some point.

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk or petermount@earthling.net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk

Re: [INTERFACES] OutOfMemoryException ??

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, John Reilly wrote:

> Hi all,
>     Someone wrote asking about an out of memory exception recently.
> I had a similar problem with javac.
>
> The solution : give the jvm more memory with the -mx switch
>
> java -mx48m .......
> to give it 48 Megs.
>
> The default is 16M

I forgot about that one. I'll add it to the JDBC driver's documentation.

This can be a problem when queries return a lot of results. Another way
around it would be to use cursors with the queries when ever possible.

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk or petermount@earthling.net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
************ Someday I may rebuild this signature completely ;-) ************
Work Homepage: http://www.maidstone.gov.uk Work EMail: peter@maidstone.gov.uk

Is there any map data stored in PostgreSQL ?

От
Shin-Young Choi
Дата:
Hello.

I'm interested in storing map data into PostgreSQL.
If you have such data, please mail to me.
Thanks in advance.

Shin-Young  Choi.