Обсуждение: Slowly getting there...

Slowly getting there...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Just got Access to see my tables...but, if I create a 'form' so that I can
edit the fields, it tells me "Unupdatable' :(

When I created my File DSN, I 'unclicked' ReadOnly...so shouldn't this
work? :(

Thanks...

Re: [INTERFACES] Slowly getting there...

От
Scott Tomer x6214 Austin
Дата:
On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 scrappy@hub.org wrote:

> Just got Access to see my tables...but, if I create a 'form' so that I can
> edit the fields, it tells me "Unupdatable' :(
>
> When I created my File DSN, I 'unclicked' ReadOnly...so shouldn't this
> work? :(
>
> Thanks...

Did you setup the "Access" unique keys?  When you setup the link tables,
It should have asked you to specify the unique key.

If you didn't specify these, the table is not updateable. :(

Scott

Re: [INTERFACES] Slowly getting there...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Scott Tomer x6214 Austin wrote:

> Did you setup the "Access" unique keys?  When you setup the link tables,
> It should have asked you to specify the unique key.

    Hrmmm...it didn't ask me that...is there a way of setting it up
after the fact?

Re: [INTERFACES] Slowly getting there...

От
"Julia A.Case"
Дата:
Quoting The Hermit Hacker (scrappy@hub.org):
>     Hrmmm...it didn't ask me that...is there a way of setting it up
> after the fact?

    Good question I'll check that out tonight...  It should have asked
you that when you liked the tables.  You can unlink them and re-link them
pretty easily though

Julie
 --
[  Julia Anne Case  ] [        Ships are safe inside the harbor,       ]
[Programmer at large] [      but is that what ships are really for.    ]

Re: [INTERFACES] Slowly getting there...

От
David Hartwig

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Just got Access to see my tables...but, if I create a 'form' so that I can
> edit the fields, it tells me "Unupdatable' :(
>
> When I created my File DSN, I 'unclicked' ReadOnly...so shouldn't this
> work? :(
>
> Thanks...

Slowly the noose tightens...

The problem here is that each application is implemented differently.   Some
apps like Access 2.0 will query the database dynamically to find a unique
key.   A unique key is required by most applications to do table updates.
Others, like MS Access 7.0 & 97, require the user to supply the unique key at
link time.   The bottom line is that the app needs to know a unique key.

We have just discovered an bug in the driver that prevents the desired result
using the dynamic method used by Access 2.0.    A patch is in the works.

 MS Access 7.0 & 97 updates will work fine.    Except for one thing...
Watch out for multipart keys.   The backend does not react well to the queries
generated when browsing an updatable table with 3 or more key parts.  See bug
report and TODO concerning lots of ANDs and ORs.

I am attaching a the start of a FAQ that addresses some of these issues.

Вложения

Re: [INTERFACES] Slowly getting there...

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Julia A.Case wrote:

> Quoting The Hermit Hacker (scrappy@hub.org):
> >     Hrmmm...it didn't ask me that...is there a way of setting it up
> > after the fact?
> >
>     Good question I'll check that out tonight...  It should have asked
> you that when you liked the tables.  You can unlink them and re-link them
> pretty easily though

    Actually, it turns out it did ask me...I misunderstood the screen
when it came up :(  Operator Error :(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org