Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
A few notes on the next PostgreSQL development cycle (the one after 9.6):

- After several rounds of consultations, it has been decided to change
the version numbering scheme.  Instead of X.Y.Z, future releases will
have a two-part version number M.N, where M is the major version number,
which changes with a major release, every year or so, and N is the minor
version number, which changes with a minor release, every few months or
so.  This does not change in any way development practices or approaches
to backward compatibility.  It merely makes the version numbering scheme
match existing development practices better.

- The next major release of PostgreSQL (after 9.6) will be known as
PostgreSQL 10.  (The actual version number of the first production
release will as before have a minor version number of .0, so the actual
release number will be 10.0.)  Again, this jump does not change any
policies or conventions on backward compatibility.

- Per [1], the first commit fest of the version 10 development cycle
starts on September 1.  In spite of 124 patches already showing at
<https://commitfest.postgresql.org/10/>, it seems like we have had a
good couple of months focusing on release work.  If you have been
hesitating because of that, now is surely the time to start submitting
any patches you want for consideration in September.

- We need a commit fest manager.  Volunteers, step forward!

- The branching of the Git tree is tentatively scheduled for August 15.
(There will be minor releases and a beta release on August 11.)

[1]:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2016_Developer_Meeting#9:55_-_10:05_.09Next_Release_Schedule_.09All

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 1 August 2016 at 16:25, Peter Eisentraut

> - The next major release of PostgreSQL (after 9.6) will be known as
> PostgreSQL 10.  (The actual version number of the first production
> release will as before have a minor version number of .0, so the actual
> release number will be 10.0.)  Again, this jump does not change any
> policies or conventions on backward compatibility.

My understanding is that for 10.0 we will have this define

#define PG_VERSION_NUM 100000

and for 10.1, which is the first maintenance release this will change to

#define PG_VERSION_NUM 100001

effectively allowing many future versions.

Can we confirm/refute these details now to make sure we are all in tune?

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 1 August 2016 at 17:04, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Can we confirm/refute these details now to make sure we are all in tune?
>
> See the other thread I started about that; please reserve this thread
> for discussions of general actions around starting the new development
> cycle.

Sure, no problem, our posts crossed. I see your other post confirms this anyway.

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Дата:
RoyesMello<br />Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL<br />>> Timbira: <a
href="http://www.timbira.com.br">http://www.timbira.com.br</a><br/>>> Blog: <a
href="http://fabriziomello.github.io">http://fabriziomello.github.io</a><br/>>> Linkedin: <a
href="http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello">http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello</a><br/>>> Twitter: <a
href="http://twitter.com/fabriziomello">http://twitter.com/fabriziomello</a><br/>>> Github: <a
href="http://github.com/fabriziomello">http://github.com/fabriziomello</a></div>

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

Дата:
> Can we confirm/refute these details now to make sure we are all in tune?

See the other thread I started about that; please reserve this thread
for discussions of general actions around starting the new development
cycle.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 8/1/16 1:08 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
> What knowledge is expected for a CFM? I'm really would like to help and
> also learn more about our development.

If you search the wiki for "commitfest" you will find several pages of
varying outdatedness that describe the process.

Mainly, you will need to be nagging a lot of people. ;-)

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 8/1/16 1:08 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
> > What knowledge is expected for a CFM? I'm really would like to help and
> > also learn more about our development.
>
> If you search the wiki for "commitfest" you will find several pages of
> varying outdatedness that describe the process.

I have cleaned up the wiki a bit, so the authoritative info should be at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest_Checklist
Note that what that page describes is not exactly what we do nowadays;
if someone wants to edit that page to better reflect reality, be my
guest.  Also see the old (2009) page where an older workflow was
described:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php?title=Running_a_CommitFest&oldid=9369
Perhaps it'd be good to resurrect some of that contents, in modernized
form, to the current page.

Thanks

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Fabrízio de Royes Mello

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On 8/1/16 1:08 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
> > > What knowledge is expected for a CFM? I'm really would like to help and
> > > also learn more about our development.
> >
> > If you search the wiki for "commitfest" you will find several pages of
> > varying outdatedness that describe the process.
>
> I have cleaned up the wiki a bit, so the authoritative info should be at
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest_Checklist
> Note that what that page describes is not exactly what we do nowadays;
> if someone wants to edit that page to better reflect reality, be my
> guest.  Also see the old (2009) page where an older workflow was
> described:
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php?title=Running_a_CommitFest&oldid=9369
> Perhaps it'd be good to resurrect some of that contents, in modernized
> form, to the current page.

Thank you both for the informations.

If there are no complains about my lack of experience in this field I would like do become the next CFM (am I the first brazilian??)

Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL
>> Timbira: http://www.timbira.com.br
>> Blog: http://fabriziomello.github.io
>> Linkedin: http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fabriziomello
>> Github: http://github.com/fabriziomello

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:09 AM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
<fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
> If there are no complains about my lack of experience in this field I would
> like do become the next CFM (am I the first brazilian??)

That would be great. I am not sending more patches for the 1st CF and
as long as there are no issues for 9.6 to deal with, so I am switching
to patch review mode pretty soon, so I'll help out with things.
--
Michael

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
2016at 12:09 AM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello<br /> > <<a
href="mailto:fabriziomello@gmail.com">fabriziomello@gmail.com</a>>wrote:<br /> > > If there are no complains
aboutmy lack of experience in this field I would<br /> > > like do become the next CFM (am I the first
longas there are no issues for 9.6 to deal with, so I am switching<br /> > to patch review mode pretty soon, so I'll
helpout with things.<br /><p dir="ltr">Did we make a decision on this? Cf is starting now, are we appointing Fabrizio
asthe cf manager? <p dir="ltr">/Magnus<br />

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

Дата:
>> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:09 AM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
>> <fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If there are no complains about my lack of experience in this field I
>>> would like do become the next CFM (am I the first brazilian??)

> Did we make a decision on this? Cf is starting now, are we appointing
> Fabrizio as the cf manager?

I didn't hear any other volunteers, so he's it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Дата:
href="mailto:magnus@hagander.net">magnus@hagander.net</a>>writes:<br />> >> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:09
AM,Fabrízio de Royes Mello<br />> >> <<a
href="mailto:fabriziomello@gmail.com">fabriziomello@gmail.com</a>>wrote:<br />> >>> If there are no
complainsabout my lack of experience in this field I<br />> >>> would like do become the next CFM (am I the
firstbrazilian??)<br />><br />> > Did we make a decision on this? Cf is starting now, are we appointing<br
somehelp from Alvaro to get the admin grants in CommitFest App to start this party.<br /><br />In a few hours I'm send
/>Consultoria/CoachingPostgreSQL<br />>> Timbira: <a
href="http://www.timbira.com.br">http://www.timbira.com.br</a><br/>>> Blog: <a
href="http://fabriziomello.github.io">http://fabriziomello.github.io</a><br/>>> Linkedin: <a
href="http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello">http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello</a><br/>>> Twitter: <a
href="http://twitter.com/fabriziomello">http://twitter.com/fabriziomello</a><br/>>> Github: <a
href="http://github.com/fabriziomello">http://github.com/fabriziomello</a></div>

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
OnThu, Sep 1, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Tom Lane <<a href="mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us">tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us</a>> wrote:<br />
writes:<br/> > > >> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:09 AM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello<br /> > > >>
<<ahref="mailto:fabriziomello@gmail.com">fabriziomello@gmail.com</a>> wrote:<br /> > > >>> If
thereare no complains about my lack of experience in this field I<br /> > > >>> would like do become the
nextCFM (am I the first brazilian??)<br /> > ><br /> > > > Did we make a decision on this? Cf is
approvalfrom core team... then now I am the CF manager...<p dir="ltr">Yup,  clearly you have it now :-)<br /><p
dir="ltr">><br/> > I'm getting some help from Alvaro to get the admin grants in CommitFest App to start this
party.<br/><p dir="ltr">Sounds good and don't hesitate to ask any of us if you are wondering about something or need
/><pdir="ltr">Excellent! <p dir="ltr">/Magnus

Re: PostgreSQL 10 kick-off

От
Fabrízio de Royes Mello

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2016 17:44, "Fabrízio de Royes Mello" <fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I didn't hear any other volunteers, so he's it.
> > >

> > Well... I was waiting for an approval from core team... then now I am the CF manager...
>
> Yup,  clearly you have it now :-)

And here we go!!!

> > I'm getting some help from Alvaro to get the admin grants in CommitFest App to start this party.
>
> Sounds good and don't hesitate to ask any of us if you are wondering about something or need some help.

Alvaro sent a message by IM that I'm granted as admin in commitfest app but something seams wrong... The administration "link/button" doesn't appear to me yet... What's the correct way to get this rights?

Thanks in advance!

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello