Обсуждение: BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation

BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation

От
Petr Jediný
Дата:
Hello,

the http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/indexes-multicolumn.html
page doesn't mention BRIN support, but according to the
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-createindex.html it is
supported in multicolumn setup.

The attached patch (git diff against master branch) fixes the omission
and adds "Oxford comma" before "and" to unify the writing style with
the style used in the "create index" documentation.

Regards,

Petr Jediny

Вложения

Re: BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:53 AM, Petr Jediný <petr.jediny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/indexes-multicolumn.html
> page doesn't mention BRIN support, but according to the
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-createindex.html it is
> supported in multicolumn setup.
>
> The attached patch (git diff against master branch) fixes the omission
> and adds "Oxford comma" before "and" to unify the writing style with
> the style used in the "create index" documentation.

Good catch!

In addtion to your patch, we should add the description for
the multicolumn brin index, like the following one in the doc?

---------------
A multicolumn GIN index can be used with query conditions that
involve any subset of the index's columns. Unlike B-tree or GiST,
index search effectiveness is the same regardless of which index
column(s) the query conditions use.
---------------

Fujii Masao

Re: BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation

От
Petr Jediný
Дата:
> Good catch!
>
> In addtion to your patch, we should add the description for
> the multicolumn brin index, like the following one in the doc?
>
> ---------------
> A multicolumn GIN index can be used with query conditions that
> involve any subset of the index's columns. Unlike B-tree or GiST,
> index search effectiveness is the same regardless of which index
> column(s) the query conditions use.
> ---------------

I guess multicolumn BRIN behaves similarly to B-tree or GiST. But I'm
no expert, so I need someone knowledgeable to confirm this. If the
following wording is OK, I will update the patch.

-----
A multicolumn BRIN index can be used with query conditions that
involve any subset of the index's columns. Conditions on additional
columns restrict the entries returned by the index, but the condition
on the first column is the most important one for determining how much
of the index needs to be scanned.
-----

Regards,

PJ

Re: BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation

От
Emre Hasegeli
Дата:
> I guess multicolumn BRIN behaves similarly to B-tree or GiST. But I'm
> no expert, so I need someone knowledgeable to confirm this. If the
> following wording is OK, I will update the patch.

Multicolumn BRIN is like GIN.  Every column is indexed separately.
The order of the columns doesn't matter.

Re: BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Emre Hasegeli wrote:
> > I guess multicolumn BRIN behaves similarly to B-tree or GiST. But I'm
> > no expert, so I need someone knowledgeable to confirm this. If the
> > following wording is OK, I will update the patch.
>
> Multicolumn BRIN is like GIN.  Every column is indexed separately.
> The order of the columns doesn't matter.

Right.  You can use one index to cover all columns; the position of the
column in the index won't matter for a query that uses one column.  The
only reason to have multiple BRIN indexes on a single table is to have
a different pages_per_range.

Re: BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation

От
Petr Jediný

>> Multicolumn BRIN is like GIN.  Every column is indexed separately.
>> The order of the columns doesn't matter.
>
> Right.  You can use one index to cover all columns; the position of the
> column in the index won't matter for a query that uses one column.  The
> only reason to have multiple BRIN indexes on a single table is to have
> a different pages_per_range.

Thanks for the information, I've attached the patch updated to v2.

PJ

Вложения

Re: BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation

От
Petr Jediný
Дата:
Comments? This is my first patch to postgresql project, so comments
are very much welcomed.

PJ

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Petr Jediný <petr.jediny@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Multicolumn BRIN is like GIN.  Every column is indexed separately.
>>> The order of the columns doesn't matter.
>>
>> Right.  You can use one index to cover all columns; the position of the
>> column in the index won't matter for a query that uses one column.  The
>> only reason to have multiple BRIN indexes on a single table is to have
>> a different pages_per_range.
>
> Thanks for the information, I've attached the patch updated to v2.
>

> PJ

Re: BRIN is missing in multicolumn indexes documentation

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Petr Jediný wrote:
> Comments? This is my first patch to postgresql project, so comments
> are very much welcomed.

I think it's fine, so I pushed it.  Thanks.

I hope you already read this
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F