Обсуждение: TODO list updates

TODO list updates

Дата:
I have spend the past few days updating our TODO list, removing
completed and now-unnecessary items:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

I encourage others to also update the list to make it more accurate.
Thanks.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Re: TODO list updates

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
I have spend the past few days updating our TODO list, removing
completed and now-unnecessary items:

        https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

Thanks.  It can help encourage many new entrants to community.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: TODO list updates

Дата:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 02:50:04PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     I have spend the past few days updating our TODO list, removing
>     completed and now-unnecessary items:
>
>             https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo
>

> Thanks.  It can help encourage many new entrants to community.

I reduced the number of items from 466 to 410.

Probably the most controvertial change was to move on-disk bitmap
indexes to the "not wanted" section, though I kept the links in case we
change our minds.  I just can't see how they would be a win with GIN and
in-memory bitmaps.  (I don't think BRIN indexes help for on-disk bitmap
use-cases, do they?)

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Re: TODO list updates

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Probably the most controvertial change was to move on-disk bitmap
> indexes to the "not wanted" section, though I kept the links in case we
> change our minds.  I just can't see how they would be a win with GIN and
> in-memory bitmaps.

Yeah, I recall we discussed bitmap indexes a lot and we found there
wasn't a lot of room to use them because GIN is just too good, it seems.
Also, the patches that were developed had a number of issues.  Anyone
wanting to develop bitmap indexes would probably be better off starting
from scratch.

> (I don't think BRIN indexes help for on-disk bitmap use-cases, do
> they?)

No, they don't.  I expect BRIN to be very bad in a limited domain (which
is where bitmap indexes are supposed to shine), except under specific
conditions.

Re: TODO list updates

Дата:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 11:43:10AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Probably the most controvertial change was to move on-disk bitmap
> > indexes to the "not wanted" section, though I kept the links in case we
> > change our minds.  I just can't see how they would be a win with GIN and
> > in-memory bitmaps.
>
> Yeah, I recall we discussed bitmap indexes a lot and we found there
> wasn't a lot of room to use them because GIN is just too good, it seems.
> Also, the patches that were developed had a number of issues.  Anyone
> wanting to develop bitmap indexes would probably be better off starting
> from scratch.

Yes, that was my conclusion too.  We have played with the on-disk bitmap
idea for a long time, but GIN has gotten very good in that time.

Are you suggesting I remove those links?  It is kind of odd to have
links to patches for features we don't want, or just keep it?

> > (I don't think BRIN indexes help for on-disk bitmap use-cases, do
> > they?)
>
> No, they don't.  I expect BRIN to be very bad in a limited domain (which
> is where bitmap indexes are supposed to shine), except under specific
> conditions.

Yes, that was my conclusion too.  Thanks.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Re: TODO list updates

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have spend the past few days updating our TODO list, removing
> completed and now-unnecessary items:
>
>     https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

Thanks.  We have "TodoDone" pages for items that were done in specific
releases, but only for 8.4, 9.0 and 9.1.  I guess it was too much work
to create those.  (See https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Todo ).

I added a link to the latest posted version of bitmap indexes by Abhijit
Menon-Sen, for completeness.

Re: TODO list updates

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Are you suggesting I remove those links?  It is kind of odd to have
> links to patches for features we don't want, or just keep it?

No, quite the contrary -- I think the links allow some other person
research the issue including the history of patches and discussion, and
decide for themselves whether the feature is right to be rejected.

Re: TODO list updates

Дата:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 12:00:11PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have spend the past few days updating our TODO list, removing
> > completed and now-unnecessary items:
> >
> >     https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo
>
> Thanks.  We have "TodoDone" pages for items that were done in specific
> releases, but only for 8.4, 9.0 and 9.1.  I guess it was too much work
> to create those.  (See https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Todo ).

Oh, I had forgotten about that.  In some cases I knew the release that
completed the item, but in most cases the item had a different approach
which was not taken, or was superceeded by a better solution.

> I added a link to the latest posted version of bitmap indexes by Abhijit
> Menon-Sen, for completeness.

Thanks.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Re: TODO list updates

Дата:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 12:02:03PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Are you suggesting I remove those links?  It is kind of odd to have
> > links to patches for features we don't want, or just keep it?
>
> No, quite the contrary -- I think the links allow some other person
> research the issue including the history of patches and discussion, and
> decide for themselves whether the feature is right to be rejected.

I think on-disk bitmap indexes would only beat GIN indexes in a
read-only database on low-cardinality columns.  For example, if you had
a purchase_log table and wanted to know all the "blue" and "large" items
sold at a specific store, I can see on-disk bitmap indexes doing well
there.  If you added the product number, or needed read/write, I think
GIN would win.  I just don't think we have enough deployments who need
what on-disk bitmap are best at.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +

Re: TODO list updates

От
Heikki Linnakangas

On 16 October 2015 18:20:59 EEST, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>I think on-disk bitmap indexes would only beat GIN indexes in a
>read-only database on low-cardinality columns.  For example, if you had
>a purchase_log table and wanted to know all the "blue" and "large"
>items
>sold at a specific store, I can see on-disk bitmap indexes doing well
>there.  If you added the product number, or needed read/write, I think
>GIN would win.  I just don't think we have enough deployments who need
>what on-disk bitmap are best at.

My take on this is that we effectively already have bitmap indexes: it's called GIN. We could make the posting list
compressioneven better, currently a TID is compressed at best to a single byte, while in a bitmap index it could go
downto one bit, or even less. But that's just a matter of improving the compression algorithm, making it more bitmapy,
andcould be done as a fairly isolated change in GIN code.

Besides being more dense, there are some other tricks often associated with bitmap indexes. Instead of storing a
bitmap/postinglist per each unique value, you could store one for a range of values. That's useful e.g. for storing
floats,where you don't have many exact duplicate values, but you could get a dense index by treating all values in
range0.0-10.0 as one entry, all values in 10.0-50.0 as another,  and so forth. Yet another trick is to have one bitmap
forall values > 0.0, another for all values >10.0, and so forth. With that, you can satisfy any BETWEEN query by
scanningjust two bitmaps/posting lists: the one for the lower bound and the one for the upper bound. The matching
tuplesare the ones that are present in the first, but not the latter posting list. But that's also not a whole new
indextype. GIN could do all that, if someone just wrote an opclass for it.

- Heikki