Обсуждение: missing documentation for partial WAL files

missing documentation for partial WAL files

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
The commit message for de76884 contains some important information about
the purpose and use of the new .partial WAL files.  But I don't see
anything about this in the documentation or another user-visible place.We should probably add something.

Re: missing documentation for partial WAL files

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> The commit message for de76884 contains some important information about
> the purpose and use of the new .partial WAL files.  But I don't see
> anything about this in the documentation or another user-visible place.
>  We should probably add something.

Uh, some documentation around .ready files would be nice too.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: missing documentation for partial WAL files

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 3:57 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> The commit message for de76884 contains some important information about
>> the purpose and use of the new .partial WAL files.  But I don't see
>> anything about this in the documentation or another user-visible place.
>>  We should probably add something.

This makes sense, those files are exposed in the user's archives when
the end of a timeline is reached at promotion. I think that this
should be added in "Continuous archiving in standby" with a new
paragraph, as the first paragraph argues about archive_mode = 'always'
and the second about 'on'. What about the attached?

> Uh, some documentation around .ready files would be nice too.

Why? Users normally need to have no knowledge of that, those status
files are managed only by the backend.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: missing documentation for partial WAL files

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> The commit message for de76884 contains some important information about
> the purpose and use of the new .partial WAL files.  But I don't see
> anything about this in the documentation or another user-visible place.
>  We should probably add something.

+1.  Heikki talked about this at his PGCon presentation, and I thought
that was pretty helpful stuff, but not everyone was there (or will
remember what he said when the time comes that they need to know).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: missing documentation for partial WAL files

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > The commit message for de76884 contains some important information about
> > the purpose and use of the new .partial WAL files.  But I don't see
> > anything about this in the documentation or another user-visible place.
> >  We should probably add something.
>
> +1.  Heikki talked about this at his PGCon presentation, and I thought
> that was pretty helpful stuff, but not everyone was there (or will
> remember what he said when the time comes that they need to know).

Hopefully the audio or video of it will be posted eventually..  I was
hoping to review it myself and to discuss the points he made in depth
with David, to make sure we cover all of them (pretty sure we do, but
good to verify).

The link to the slides, at least, is here:

http://www.pgcon.org/2015/schedule/attachments/379_PGCon2015-Warm-standby-done-right.pdf
Thanks!
    Stephen

Re: missing documentation for partial WAL files

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Stephen Frost (sfrost@snowman.net) wrote:
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > The commit message for de76884 contains some important information about
> > > the purpose and use of the new .partial WAL files.  But I don't see
> > > anything about this in the documentation or another user-visible place.
> > >  We should probably add something.
> >
> > +1.  Heikki talked about this at his PGCon presentation, and I thought
> > that was pretty helpful stuff, but not everyone was there (or will
> > remember what he said when the time comes that they need to know).
>
> Hopefully the audio or video of it will be posted eventually..  I was
> hoping to review it myself and to discuss the points he made in depth
> with David, to make sure we cover all of them (pretty sure we do, but
> good to verify).
>
> The link to the slides, at least, is here:
>
> http://www.pgcon.org/2015/schedule/attachments/379_PGCon2015-Warm-standby-done-right.pdf

Dan corrected me, it's been posted already, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlQ90MntJwM&list=PLWW0CjV-TafZo4lBWuzw7OYJY7Y4SW76B&index=17
Thanks!
    Stephen