Обсуждение: Alpha2/Beta1

Alpha2/Beta1

От
Josh Berkus
All:

At the Developer's Meeting, we said we'd be releasing an alpha or beta
each month until final 9.5 release.  As such, we should be releasing a
9.5 alpha/beta in the first week of August.

My question for Hackers is: should this be Alpha2 or Beta 1?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Alpha2/Beta1

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 22/07/15 09:01, Josh Berkus wrote:
[...]
> My question for Hackers is: should this be Alpha2 or Beta 1?

Yes!  :-)

(The decision, as to which, I'll leave to the REAL Developers.)

More seriously, I expect that the alpha probably generated a lot of
useful feedback.  Was this actually the case?

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: Alpha2/Beta1

От
Noah Misch
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 02:01:57PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> At the Developer's Meeting, we said we'd be releasing an alpha or beta
> each month until final 9.5 release.  As such, we should be releasing a
> 9.5 alpha/beta in the first week of August.
>
> My question for Hackers is: should this be Alpha2 or Beta 1?

I vote for alpha2.  Comparing the "Open Issues" and "resolved after 9.5alpha1"
sections of https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.5_Open_Items, we've
not transitioned to a qualitatively different level of API stability.

Thanks,
nm

Re: Alpha2/Beta1

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 02:01:57PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> At the Developer's Meeting, we said we'd be releasing an alpha or beta
>> each month until final 9.5 release.  As such, we should be releasing a
>> 9.5 alpha/beta in the first week of August.
>>
>> My question for Hackers is: should this be Alpha2 or Beta 1?
>
> I vote for alpha2.  Comparing the "Open Issues" and "resolved after 9.5alpha1"
> sections of https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.5_Open_Items, we've
> not transitioned to a qualitatively different level of API stability.

Mine goes for alpha2. There are some issues remaining yet that require
low-level attention.
--
Michael

Re: Alpha2/Beta1

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> I vote for alpha2.  Comparing the "Open Issues" and "resolved after 9.5alpha1"
> sections of https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.5_Open_Items, we've
> not transitioned to a qualitatively different level of API stability.

I agree. I'd hoped that my bugfixes would get committed in time for
what we were going to call Beta 1. Everyone qualified seems to be very
busy with other things that are more pressing.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Alpha2/Beta1

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
My question for Hackers is: should this be Alpha2 or Beta 1?

Alpha2

Re: Alpha2/Beta1

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On 2015/07/22 12:40, Noah Misch wrote:
> I vote for alpha2.  Comparing the "Open Issues" and "resolved after 9.5alpha1"
> sections of https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.5_Open_Items, we've
> not transitioned to a qualitatively different level of API stability.

+1 for alpha2.

I'd like to propose a patch for the issue "Foreign join pushdown vs
EvalPlanQual", but I need more time ...

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: Alpha2/Beta1

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 2:50 AM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2015/07/22 12:40, Noah Misch wrote:
>> I vote for alpha2.  Comparing the "Open Issues" and "resolved after
>> 9.5alpha1"
>> sections of https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.5_Open_Items,
>> we've
>> not transitioned to a qualitatively different level of API stability.
>
> +1 for alpha2.

+1 for alpha2 from me as well.  We have made some progress but there
is an awful lot of stuff left to get fixed.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Alpha2/Beta1

От
Josh Berkus
All:

Sounds like the overwhemling consensus is Alpha2 then.  Will run with it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.