Обсуждение: Making the regression tests halt to attach a debugger

Making the regression tests halt to attach a debugger

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
During the course of UPSERT's development, I found it tricky to debug
regression tests failures on occasion. There are often non-obvious
dependencies across and within regression tests. Creating a minimal
test case having attached a debugger to a directly controlled backend
is often tricky, or at least time consuming.

I came up with a simple approach to conveniently attaching a debugger
when a bug manifested itself from within the regression tests, by
patching Postgres. This worked quite well. The backend would look for
the occurrence of a magical token within each and every query string.
pg_analyze_and_rewrite() had a simple additional check for this
magical token. pg_analyze_and_rewrite() seemed like a suitably early
point in the query execution cycle, while still being late enough
after the main tcop loop to be a general purpose chokepoint (maybe
there's a better, earlier general purpose chokepoint that makes
debugging raw parsing possible, for example, but I didn't need to do
that).

I'd add a C-style comment to any regression suite SQL query that
failed, naming just the magical token (something like: /*
pg-halt-for-debugger */ ). Just before the query underwent parse
analysis, if the comment/token was detected, the backend would
advertise that I should attach to its PID using GDB, and then
"raise(SIGSTOP)" so I'd have time to do so. I'd then actually attach
GDB, set a breakpoint somewhere interesting (and relevant to the
failure) from within GDB, and continue.

It occurred to me that other hackers have probably done things like
this. It seems like it might be worthwhile to submit a patch that made
it possible to do this in a standardized way. Obviously this is
something that would only exist to be enabled on a developer's debug
build, comparable to things like COPY_PARSE_PLAN_TREES.

Is there any appetite for this? If there is a more polished way to get
the regression tests to stop like this at some particular query, I'm
not aware of it. In any case, I'm making the backend halt due to
finding something in a query string, which ISTM needs backend support
to work well.
--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Making the regression tests halt to attach a debugger

Дата:
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> I came up with a simple approach to conveniently attaching a debugger
> when a bug manifested itself from within the regression tests, by
> patching Postgres. This worked quite well. The backend would look for
> the occurrence of a magical token within each and every query string.

If your approach involves modifying a target query in a regression test,
it really seems unnecessary to do all this.  Just insert something like
"select pg_sleep(60)" into the test script before the target query.

A variant is to insert a sleep() in the C code, in someplace you don't
expect will be reached except in the problematic cases.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Making the regression tests halt to attach a debugger

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 5/18/15 8:44 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
>> I came up with a simple approach to conveniently attaching a debugger
>> when a bug manifested itself from within the regression tests, by
>> patching Postgres. This worked quite well. The backend would look for
>> the occurrence of a magical token within each and every query string.
>
> If your approach involves modifying a target query in a regression test,
> it really seems unnecessary to do all this.  Just insert something like
> "select pg_sleep(60)" into the test script before the target query.
>
> A variant is to insert a sleep() in the C code, in someplace you don't
> expect will be reached except in the problematic cases.

You still have to hunt down the PID though; it's nicer if you just get
it spit out in the log or to the client. This would also make it easier
to debug interactive backends since you could just embed the magic
comment in your test statement instead of needing a separate call to
pg_backend_pid().

Re: Making the regression tests halt to attach a debugger

Дата:
Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> writes:
> On 5/18/15 8:44 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If your approach involves modifying a target query in a regression test,
>> it really seems unnecessary to do all this.  Just insert something like
>> "select pg_sleep(60)" into the test script before the target query.
>>
>> A variant is to insert a sleep() in the C code, in someplace you don't
>> expect will be reached except in the problematic cases.

> You still have to hunt down the PID though; it's nicer if you just get
> it spit out in the log or to the client. This would also make it easier
> to debug interactive backends since you could just embed the magic
> comment in your test statement instead of needing a separate call to
> pg_backend_pid().

Meh.  You could also add "select pg_backend_pid()" or some such.
But really, the way I generally do this is to run gdb via a script
that auto-attaches to the right postgres process if at all possible.
Removes the whole problem.

            regards, tom lane

#!/bin/sh

# Usage: gdblive

cd $HOME

# tee /dev/tty is for user to see the set of procs considered
PROCS=`ps auxww | \
    grep postgres: | \
    grep -v -e 'grep postgres:' -e 'postgres: stats' -e 'postgres: writer' -e 'postgres: wal writer' -e 'postgres:
checkpointer'-e 'postgres: archiver' -e 'postgres: logger' -e 'postgres: autovacuum' | \
    tee /dev/tty | \
    awk '{print $2}'`

if [ `echo "$PROCS" | wc -w` -eq 1 ]
then
    exec gdb $PGINSTROOT/bin/postgres -silent "$PROCS"
else
    exec gdb $PGINSTROOT/bin/postgres -silent
fi

Re: Making the regression tests halt to attach a debugger

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 05/18/2015 01:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Meh.  You could also add "select pg_backend_pid()" or some such.
> But really, the way I generally do this is to run gdb via a script
> that auto-attaches to the right postgres process if at all possible.
> Removes the whole problem.

This should go on the wiki.

cheers

andrew

Re: Making the regression tests halt to attach a debugger

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 6:44 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
>> I came up with a simple approach to conveniently attaching a debugger
>> when a bug manifested itself from within the regression tests, by
>> patching Postgres. This worked quite well. The backend would look for
>> the occurrence of a magical token within each and every query string.
>
> If your approach involves modifying a target query in a regression test,
> it really seems unnecessary to do all this.  Just insert something like
> "select pg_sleep(60)" into the test script before the target query.

That seems less convenient, because I have to wait for the backend to
wake up within GDB.

I use a script that attaches GDB to an inferred-from-ps Postgres
backend, too. But it's possible to imagine that not working that well.
Like with an isolation test, for example. I like that the backend
advertises that I should connect GDB to its PID, and will wait all day
as necessary.

I also wrote a script that infers a useful non-auxiliary backend PID
(in the same way as the other GDB script), but just sends it SIGCONT.
I could then continue the test in a convenient way without attaching a
debugger.

Anyway, it was just an idea. If people aren't sold on the merits of
making this into development infrastructure, I'll leave it at that.
--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Making the regression tests halt to attach a debugger

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 5/18/15 12:15 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 05/18/2015 01:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Meh.  You could also add "select pg_backend_pid()" or some such.
>> But really, the way I generally do this is to run gdb via a script
>> that auto-attaches to the right postgres process if at all possible.
>> Removes the whole problem.
>>

> This should go on the wiki.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Gdblive_script; and linked from gdb
section of Developer FAQ.