Обсуждение: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

we found possible bug in pg_dump. It raise a error only when all specified tables doesn't exists. When it find any table, then ignore missing other.

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omega -s postgres > /dev/null; echo $?

foo doesn't exists - it creates broken backup due missing "Foo" table

 [pavel@localhost include]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omegaa -s postgres > /dev/null; echo $?
pg_dump: No matching tables were found
1

Is it ok? I am thinking, so it is potentially dangerous. Any explicitly specified table should to exists.

Regards

Pavel

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> we found possible bug in pg_dump. It raise a error only when all specified
> tables doesn't exists. When it find any table, then ignore missing other.
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omega -s postgres > /dev/null; echo
> $?
>
> foo doesn't exists - it creates broken backup due missing "Foo" table
>
>  [pavel@localhost include]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omegaa -s
> postgres > /dev/null; echo $?
> pg_dump: No matching tables were found
> 1
>
> Is it ok? I am thinking, so it is potentially dangerous. Any explicitly
> specified table should to exists.

Keep in mind that the argument to -t is a pattern, not just a table
name.  I'm not sure how much that affects the calculus here, but it's
something to think about.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> we found possible bug in pg_dump. It raise a error only when all specified
> tables doesn't exists. When it find any table, then ignore missing other.
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omega -s postgres > /dev/null; echo
> $?
>
> foo doesn't exists - it creates broken backup due missing "Foo" table
>
>  [pavel@localhost include]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omegaa -s
> postgres > /dev/null; echo $?
> pg_dump: No matching tables were found
> 1
>
> Is it ok? I am thinking, so it is potentially dangerous. Any explicitly
> specified table should to exists.

Keep in mind that the argument to -t is a pattern, not just a table
name.  I'm not sure how much that affects the calculus here, but it's
something to think about.

yes, it has a sense, although now, I am don't think so it was a good idea. There should be some difference between table name and table pattern.

Regards

Pavel

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> we found possible bug in pg_dump. It raise a error only when all specified
> tables doesn't exists. When it find any table, then ignore missing other.
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omega -s postgres > /dev/null; echo
> $?
>
> foo doesn't exists - it creates broken backup due missing "Foo" table
>
>  [pavel@localhost include]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omegaa -s
> postgres > /dev/null; echo $?
> pg_dump: No matching tables were found
> 1
>
> Is it ok? I am thinking, so it is potentially dangerous. Any explicitly
> specified table should to exists.

Keep in mind that the argument to -t is a pattern, not just a table
name.  I'm not sure how much that affects the calculus here, but it's
something to think about.

yes, it has a sense, although now, I am don't think so it was a good idea. There should be some difference between table name and table pattern.

​There is...a single table name is simply expressed as a pattern without any wildcards.  The issue here is that pg_dump doesn't require that every instance of -t find one (or more, if a wildcard is present) entries only that at least one entry is found among all of the patterns specified by -t​.

I'll voice my agreement that each of the -t specifications should find at least one table in order for the dump as a whole to succeed; though depending on presented use cases for the current behavior I could see allowing the command writer to specify a more lenient interpretation by specifying something like --allow-missing-tables.

Command line switch formats don't really allow you to write "-t?​" to mean "I want these table(s) if present", do they?  I guess the input itself could be interpreted that way though; a leading "?" is not a valid wildcard and double-quotes would be required for it to be a valid table name.

David J.

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 03/13/2015 10:01 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>>:
>
>     On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Pavel Stehule
>     <pavel.stehule@gmail.com <mailto:pavel.stehule@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > we found possible bug in pg_dump. It raise a error only when all
>     specified
>     > tables doesn't exists. When it find any table, then ignore missing
>     other.
>     >
>     > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omega -s postgres >
>     /dev/null; echo
>     > $?
>     >
>     > foo doesn't exists - it creates broken backup due missing "Foo" table
>     >
>     >  [pavel@localhost include]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t
>     omegaa -s
>     > postgres > /dev/null; echo $?
>     > pg_dump: No matching tables were found
>     > 1
>     >
>     > Is it ok? I am thinking, so it is potentially dangerous. Any
>     explicitly
>     > specified table should to exists.
>
>     Keep in mind that the argument to -t is a pattern, not just a table
>     name.  I'm not sure how much that affects the calculus here, but it's
>     something to think about.
>

> yes, it has a sense, although now, I am don't think so it was a good
> idea. There should be some difference between table name and table pattern.

There was a long discussion about this when the feature was introduced
in 7.3(?) IIRC.  Changing it now would break backwards-compatibility, so
you'd really need to introduce a new option.

And, if you introduce a new option which is a specific table name, would
you require a schema name or not?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule

On 03/13/2015 10:01 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>>:
>
>     On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Pavel Stehule
>     <pavel.stehule@gmail.com <mailto:pavel.stehule@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > we found possible bug in pg_dump. It raise a error only when all
>     specified
>     > tables doesn't exists. When it find any table, then ignore missing
>     other.
>     >
>     > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omega -s postgres >
>     /dev/null; echo
>     > $?
>     >
>     > foo doesn't exists - it creates broken backup due missing "Foo" table
>     >
>     >  [pavel@localhost include]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t
>     omegaa -s
>     > postgres > /dev/null; echo $?
>     > pg_dump: No matching tables were found
>     > 1
>     >
>     > Is it ok? I am thinking, so it is potentially dangerous. Any
>     explicitly
>     > specified table should to exists.
>
>     Keep in mind that the argument to -t is a pattern, not just a table
>     name.  I'm not sure how much that affects the calculus here, but it's
>     something to think about.
>

> yes, it has a sense, although now, I am don't think so it was a good
> idea. There should be some difference between table name and table pattern.

There was a long discussion about this when the feature was introduced
in 7.3(?) IIRC.  Changing it now would break backwards-compatibility, so
you'd really need to introduce a new option.

And, if you introduce a new option which is a specific table name, would
you require a schema name or not?

We can use a same rules like we use for STRICT clause somewhere. There should be only one table specified by the option. If it is not necessary, then only name is enough, else qualified name is necessary.

what is a name for this option? Maybe only with long name - some like 'required-table' ?

Regards

Pavel

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule

On 03/13/2015 10:01 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>>:
>
>     On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Pavel Stehule
>     <pavel.stehule@gmail.com <mailto:pavel.stehule@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > we found possible bug in pg_dump. It raise a error only when all
>     specified
>     > tables doesn't exists. When it find any table, then ignore missing
>     other.
>     >
>     > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t omega -s postgres >
>     /dev/null; echo
>     > $?
>     >
>     > foo doesn't exists - it creates broken backup due missing "Foo" table
>     >
>     >  [pavel@localhost include]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -t Foo -t
>     omegaa -s
>     > postgres > /dev/null; echo $?
>     > pg_dump: No matching tables were found
>     > 1
>     >
>     > Is it ok? I am thinking, so it is potentially dangerous. Any
>     explicitly
>     > specified table should to exists.
>
>     Keep in mind that the argument to -t is a pattern, not just a table
>     name.  I'm not sure how much that affects the calculus here, but it's
>     something to think about.
>

> yes, it has a sense, although now, I am don't think so it was a good
> idea. There should be some difference between table name and table pattern.

There was a long discussion about this when the feature was introduced
in 7.3(?) IIRC.  Changing it now would break backwards-compatibility, so
you'd really need to introduce a new option.

And, if you introduce a new option which is a specific table name, would
you require a schema name or not?

We can use a same rules like we use for STRICT clause somewhere. There should be only one table specified by the option. If it is not necessary, then only name is enough, else qualified name is necessary.

what is a name for this option? Maybe only with long name - some like 'required-table' ?

other variant, I hope better than previous. We can introduce new long option "--strict". With this active option, every pattern specified by -t option have to have identifies exactly only one table. It can be used for any other "should to exists" patterns - schemas. Initial implementation in attachment.

Regards

Pavel

Regards

Pavel

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Вложения

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

Дата:
> other variant, I hope better than previous. We can introduce new long
> option "--strict". With this active option, every pattern specified by -t
> option have to have identifies exactly only one table. It can be used for
> any other "should to exists" patterns - schemas. Initial implementation in
> attachment.

I think this design is seriously broken.  If I have '-t foo*' the code
should not prevent that from matching multiple tables.  What would the use
case for such a restriction be?

What would make sense to me is one or both of these ideas:

* require a match for a wildcard-free -t switch

* require at least one (not "exactly one") match for a wildcarded -t switch.

Neither of those is what you wrote, though.

If we implemented the second one of these, it would have to be controlled
by a new switch, because there are plausible use cases for wildcards that
sometimes don't match anything (not to mention backwards compatibility).
There might be a reasonable argument for the first one being the
default behavior, though; I'm not sure if we could get away with that
from a compatibility perspective.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule

> other variant, I hope better than previous. We can introduce new long
> option "--strict". With this active option, every pattern specified by -t
> option have to have identifies exactly only one table. It can be used for
> any other "should to exists" patterns - schemas. Initial implementation in
> attachment.

I think this design is seriously broken.  If I have '-t foo*' the code
should not prevent that from matching multiple tables.  What would the use
case for such a restriction be?

the behave is same - only one real identifier is allowed

What would make sense to me is one or both of these ideas:

* require a match for a wildcard-free -t switch

* require at least one (not "exactly one") match for a wildcarded -t
  switch.

Neither of those is what you wrote, though.

If we implemented the second one of these, it would have to be controlled
by a new switch, because there are plausible use cases for wildcards that
sometimes don't match anything (not to mention backwards compatibility).
There might be a reasonable argument for the first one being the
default behavior, though; I'm not sure if we could get away with that
from a compatibility perspective.

both your variant has sense for me. We can implement these points separately. And I see a first point as much more important than second. Because there is a significant risk of hidden broken backup.

We can implement a some long option with same functionality like now - for somebody who need backup some explicitly specified tables optionally. Maybe "--table-if-exists" ??

Is it acceptable for you?

Regards

Pavel

                        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

> other variant, I hope better than previous. We can introduce new long
> option "--strict". With this active option, every pattern specified by -t
> option have to have identifies exactly only one table. It can be used for
> any other "should to exists" patterns - schemas. Initial implementation in
> attachment.

I think this design is seriously broken.  If I have '-t foo*' the code
should not prevent that from matching multiple tables.  What would the use
case for such a restriction be?

What would make sense to me is one or both of these ideas:

* require a match for a wildcard-free -t switch

* require at least one (not "exactly one") match for a wildcarded -t
  switch.

attached initial implementation

Regards

Pavel

Neither of those is what you wrote, though.

If we implemented the second one of these, it would have to be controlled
by a new switch, because there are plausible use cases for wildcards that
sometimes don't match anything (not to mention backwards compatibility).
There might be a reasonable argument for the first one being the
default behavior, though; I'm not sure if we could get away with that
from a compatibility perspective.

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule

Hi

> other variant, I hope better than previous. We can introduce new long
> option "--strict". With this active option, every pattern specified by -t
> option have to have identifies exactly only one table. It can be used for
> any other "should to exists" patterns - schemas. Initial implementation in
> attachment.

I think this design is seriously broken.  If I have '-t foo*' the code
should not prevent that from matching multiple tables.  What would the use
case for such a restriction be?

What would make sense to me is one or both of these ideas:

* require a match for a wildcard-free -t switch

* require at least one (not "exactly one") match for a wildcarded -t
  switch.

attached initial implementation

updated version - same mechanism should be used for schema

Regards

Pavel

Regards

Pavel

Neither of those is what you wrote, though.

If we implemented the second one of these, it would have to be controlled
by a new switch, because there are plausible use cases for wildcards that
sometimes don't match anything (not to mention backwards compatibility).
There might be a reasonable argument for the first one being the
default behavior, though; I'm not sure if we could get away with that
from a compatibility perspective.

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Oleksandr Shulgin
Дата:

>> Hi

>>> -t
>>> for
>>> in
>>>
>>> I think this design is seriously broken.  If I have '-t foo*' the code
>>> should not prevent that from matching multiple tables.  What would the use
>>> case for such a restriction be?
>>>
>>> What would make sense to me is one or both of these ideas:
>>>
>>> * require a match for a wildcard-free -t switch
>>>
>>> * require at least one (not "exactly one") match for a wildcarded -t
>>>   switch.
>>>

>> attached initial implementation
>>

> updated version - same mechanism should be used for schema

Hello,

I think this is a bit over-engineered (apart from the fact that
processSQLNamePattern is also used in two dozen of places in
psql/describe.c and all of them must be touched for this patch to
compile).

Also, the new --table-if-exists options seems to be doing what the old
--table did, and I'm not really sure I underestand what --table does
now.

I propose instead to add a separate new option --strict-include, without
argument, that only controls the behavior when an include pattern didn't
find any table (or schema).

Please see attached patch.

--
Alex

Вложения

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule

>> Hi

>>> -t
>>> for
>>> in
>>>
>>> I think this design is seriously broken.  If I have '-t foo*' the code
>>> should not prevent that from matching multiple tables.  What would the use
>>> case for such a restriction be?
>>>
>>> What would make sense to me is one or both of these ideas:
>>>
>>> * require a match for a wildcard-free -t switch
>>>
>>> * require at least one (not "exactly one") match for a wildcarded -t
>>>   switch.
>>>

>> attached initial implementation
>>

> updated version - same mechanism should be used for schema

Hello,

I think this is a bit over-engineered (apart from the fact that
processSQLNamePattern is also used in two dozen of places in
psql/describe.c and all of them must be touched for this patch to
compile).

it was prototype - I believe so issue with describe.c can be solved better

Also, the new --table-if-exists options seems to be doing what the old
--table did, and I'm not really sure I underestand what --table does
now.

I propose instead to add a separate new option --strict-include, without
argument, that only controls the behavior when an include pattern didn't
find any table (or schema).

hard to say - any variant has own advantages and disadvantages

But I more to unlike it than like - it is more usual, when you use exact name so, you need it exactly one, and when you use some wildcard, so you are expecting one or more tables.

This use case is not checked in your patch.

Regards

Pavel

Please see attached patch.

--
Alex

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
"Shulgin, Oleksandr"
Дата:
[...]

Maybe I'm missing something, but I believe it's handled by

pg_dump -t mytables* --strict-include

so that it will error out if nothing was found for mytables* pattern.

--
Alex

[...]

If I understand it raise a error when it found more than one table

Pavel

--
Alex

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

Дата:
Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> writes:
> I think this is a bit over-engineered (apart from the fact that
> processSQLNamePattern is also used in two dozen of places in
> psql/describe.c and all of them must be touched for this patch to
> compile).

> Also, the new --table-if-exists options seems to be doing what the old
> --table did, and I'm not really sure I underestand what --table does
> now.

I'm pretty sure we had agreed *not* to change the default behavior of -t.

> I propose instead to add a separate new option --strict-include, without
> argument, that only controls the behavior when an include pattern didn't
> find any table (or schema).

If we do it as a separate option, then it necessarily changes the behavior
for *each* -t switch in the call.  Can anyone show a common use-case where
that's no good, and you need separate behavior for each of several -t
switches?  If not, I like the simplicity of this approach.  (Perhaps the
switch name could use some bikeshedding, though.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
"Shulgin, Oleksandr"
Дата:
[...]

I hope not, and that totally was not my intent :-p

It should raise if it found *less than* one, that is: none.

[...]

ok, then I have not objection

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule

Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> writes:
> I think this is a bit over-engineered (apart from the fact that
> processSQLNamePattern is also used in two dozen of places in
> psql/describe.c and all of them must be touched for this patch to
> compile).

> Also, the new --table-if-exists options seems to be doing what the old
> --table did, and I'm not really sure I underestand what --table does
> now.

I'm pretty sure we had agreed *not* to change the default behavior of -t.

> I propose instead to add a separate new option --strict-include, without
> argument, that only controls the behavior when an include pattern didn't
> find any table (or schema).

If we do it as a separate option, then it necessarily changes the behavior
for *each* -t switch in the call.  Can anyone show a common use-case where
that's no good, and you need separate behavior for each of several -t
switches?  If not, I like the simplicity of this approach.  (Perhaps the
switch name could use some bikeshedding, though.)

it is near to one proposal

implement only new long option "--required-table"

Pavel

                        regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
"Shulgin, Oleksandr"
Дата:
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> writes:
> I think this is a bit over-engineered (apart from the fact that
> processSQLNamePattern is also used in two dozen of places in
> psql/describe.c and all of them must be touched for this patch to
> compile).

> Also, the new --table-if-exists options seems to be doing what the old
> --table did, and I'm not really sure I underestand what --table does
> now.

I'm pretty sure we had agreed *not* to change the default behavior of -t.

My patch does that, in the case of no-wildcards -t argument.

However, it can be fixed easily: just drop that strcspn() call, and then default behavior is the same for both wildcard and exact matches, since --strict-include is off by default.

--
Alex

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:41 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> writes:
>> > I think this is a bit over-engineered (apart from the fact that
>> > processSQLNamePattern is also used in two dozen of places in
>> > psql/describe.c and all of them must be touched for this patch to
>> > compile).
>>
>> > Also, the new --table-if-exists options seems to be doing what the old
>> > --table did, and I'm not really sure I underestand what --table does
>> > now.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure we had agreed *not* to change the default behavior of -t.
>>
>> > I propose instead to add a separate new option --strict-include, without
>> > argument, that only controls the behavior when an include pattern didn't
>> > find any table (or schema).
>>
>> If we do it as a separate option, then it necessarily changes the behavior
>> for *each* -t switch in the call.  Can anyone show a common use-case where
>> that's no good, and you need separate behavior for each of several -t
>> switches?  If not, I like the simplicity of this approach.  (Perhaps the
>> switch name could use some bikeshedding, though.)
>

> it is near to one proposal
>
> implement only new long option "--required-table"

There is no updated version of the patch. So I marked this patch
as "Waiting on Author".

One very simple question is, doesn't -n option have very similar problem?
Also what about -N, -T and --exclude-table-data? Not sure if we need to
handle them in the similar way as you proposed.

Isn't it sufficient to only emit the warning message to stderr if there
is no table matching the pattern specified in -t?

Fujii Masao

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:41 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> writes:
>> > I think this is a bit over-engineered (apart from the fact that
>> > processSQLNamePattern is also used in two dozen of places in
>> > psql/describe.c and all of them must be touched for this patch to
>> > compile).
>>
>> > Also, the new --table-if-exists options seems to be doing what the old
>> > --table did, and I'm not really sure I underestand what --table does
>> > now.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure we had agreed *not* to change the default behavior of -t.
>>
>> > I propose instead to add a separate new option --strict-include, without
>> > argument, that only controls the behavior when an include pattern didn't
>> > find any table (or schema).
>>
>> If we do it as a separate option, then it necessarily changes the behavior
>> for *each* -t switch in the call.  Can anyone show a common use-case where
>> that's no good, and you need separate behavior for each of several -t
>> switches?  If not, I like the simplicity of this approach.  (Perhaps the
>> switch name could use some bikeshedding, though.)
>

> it is near to one proposal
>
> implement only new long option "--required-table"

There is no updated version of the patch. So I marked this patch
as "Waiting on Author".

tomorrow I'll return to this topic.

One very simple question is, doesn't -n option have very similar problem?
Also what about -N, -T and --exclude-table-data? Not sure if we need to
handle them in the similar way as you proposed.

hard to say - I understand to your motivation, and it can signalize some inconsistency in environment, but it has not same negative impact as same problem with -t -n options.

This is maybe place for warning message with possibility to disable this warning. But maybe it is premature optimization?

Next way is introduction of "strictness" option - default can be equivalent of current, safe can check only tables required for dump, strict can check all.

Isn't it sufficient to only emit the warning message to stderr if there
is no table matching the pattern specified in -t?

I prefer raising error in this case.

1. I am thinking so missing tables for dump signalize important inconsistency in environment and it is important bug
2. The warning is not simply detected (and processed) in bash scripts.

Regards

Pavel

Fujii Masao

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

I am sending updated version. It implements new long option "--strict-names". If this option is used, then for any entered name (without any wildcard char) must be found least one object. This option has not impact on patters (has wildcards chars). When this option is not used, then behave is 100% same as before (with same numbers of SQL queries for -t option). It is based on Oleksandr's documentation (and lightly modified philosophy), and cleaned my previous patch. A test on wildchard existency "strcspn(cell->val, "?*")" cannot be used, because it doesn't calculate quotes (but a replace has few lines only).

There is a possibility to remove a wildcard char test and require least one entry for patters too. But I am thinking, when somebody explicitly uses any wildcard, then he calculate with a possibility of empty result.

Regards

Pavel

> [...]

I am sending updated version. It implements new long option "--strict-names". If this option is used, then for any entered name (without any wildcard char) must be found least one object. This option has not impact on patters (has wildcards chars). When this option is not used, then behave is 100% same as before (with same numbers of SQL queries for -t option). It is based on Oleksandr's documentation (and lightly modified philosophy), and cleaned my previous patch. A test on wildchard existency "strcspn(cell->val, "?*")" cannot be used, because it doesn't calculate quotes (but a replace has few lines only).

There is a possibility to remove a wildcard char test and require least one entry for patters too. But I am thinking, when somebody explicitly uses any wildcard, then he calculate with a possibility of empty result.

other variant is using --strict-names behave as default (and implement negative option like --disable-strict-names or some similar).

Regards

Pavel

> [...]

There is a possibility to remove a wildcard char test and require least one entry for patters too. But I am thinking, when somebody explicitly uses any wildcard, then he calculate with a possibility of empty result.

other variant is using --strict-names behave as default (and implement negative option like --disable-strict-names or some similar).

Note: originally I though, we have to fix it and change the default behave. But with special option, we don't need it. This option in help is signal for user, so some is risky.

Pavel

Regards

Pavel

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:41 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> writes:
>> > I think this is a bit over-engineered (apart from the fact that
>> > processSQLNamePattern is also used in two dozen of places in
>> > psql/describe.c and all of them must be touched for this patch to
>> > compile).
>>
>> > Also, the new --table-if-exists options seems to be doing what the old
>> > --table did, and I'm not really sure I underestand what --table does
>> > now.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure we had agreed *not* to change the default behavior of -t.
>>
>> > I propose instead to add a separate new option --strict-include, without
>> > argument, that only controls the behavior when an include pattern didn't
>> > find any table (or schema).
>>
>> If we do it as a separate option, then it necessarily changes the behavior
>> for *each* -t switch in the call.  Can anyone show a common use-case where
>> that's no good, and you need separate behavior for each of several -t
>> switches?  If not, I like the simplicity of this approach.  (Perhaps the
>> switch name could use some bikeshedding, though.)
>

> it is near to one proposal
>
> implement only new long option "--required-table"

There is no updated version of the patch. So I marked this patch
as "Waiting on Author".

tomorrow I'll return to this topic.

One very simple question is, doesn't -n option have very similar problem?
Also what about -N, -T and --exclude-table-data? Not sure if we need to
handle them in the similar way as you proposed.

hard to say - I understand to your motivation, and it can signalize some inconsistency in environment, but it has not same negative impact as same problem with -t -n options.

This is maybe place for warning message with possibility to disable this warning. But maybe it is premature optimization?

Next way is introduction of "strictness" option - default can be equivalent of current, safe can check only tables required for dump, strict can check all.

Isn't it sufficient to only emit the warning message to stderr if there
is no table matching the pattern specified in -t?

I prefer raising error in this case.

1. I am thinking so missing tables for dump signalize important inconsistency in environment and it is important bug
2. The warning is not simply detected (and processed) in bash scripts.

Regards

Pavel

Fujii Masao

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Дата:
Hello,

> >> I am sending updated version. It implements new long option
> >> "--strict-names". If this option is used, then for any entered name
> >> (without any wildcard char) must be found least one object. This option has
> >> not impact on patters (has wildcards chars).

I share the same option with Tom that it should behave in same
way regardless of the appearance of wildcards.

You replied Tom as this

> the behave is same - only one real identifier is allowed

But the description above about this patch apparently says that
they are differently handled. And
expand_(schema|table)_name_patterns does the further differently
thing from both of Tom's suggestion and what mentioned in your
reply to that. I will mention for this topic again in this mail.

# Might "only one real ident is allowed" mean "at most one
# match", but not "exactly one match"?

They do like this when strict-names.
 - Not allow no match for non-wildcarded names.
 - Allow no match for any wildcarded name spec and finally   allowing *all* of them don't match anyting.

This looks to me quite confusing.

> >>  When this option is not used,
> >> then behave is 100% same as before (with same numbers of SQL queries for -t
> >> option). It is based on Oleksandr's documentation (and lightly modified
> >> philosophy), and cleaned my previous patch. A test on wildchard existency
> >> "strcspn(cell->val, "?*")" cannot be used, because it doesn't calculate
> >> quotes (but a replace has few lines only).

The new name "processSQLName" looks a bit
bogus. processSQLNameIntenral would be a name commonly seen in
such cases.

> >> There is a possibility to remove a wildcard char test and require least
> >> one entry for patters too. But I am thinking, when somebody explicitly uses
> >> any wildcard, then he calculate with a possibility of empty result.

Why do you think so? Wild cards are usually used to glob multiple
names at once. One or more matches are expected for many or
perhaps most cases, I think. Since so, if someone anticipate that
some of his patterns have no match, I think he shouldn't specify
--strict-names option at all.

Furthermore, I don't think no one wants to use both wildcarded
and non-wildcarded name specs at once but this is a little out of
scope.

I'd like to have opinions from others about this point.

> > other variant is using --strict-names behave as default (and implement
> > negative option like --disable-strict-names or some similar).

This contradicts Josh's request. (which I'm not totally agree:p)

> Note: originally I though, we have to fix it and change the default behave.
> But with special option, we don't need it. This option in help is signal
> for user, so some is risky.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Дата:
Sorry for the bogus on bogus.

At Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:22:59 +0900 (Tokyo Standard Time), Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote in
<20150723.142259.200902861.horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp>
> Hello,

> I share the same option with Tom that it should behave in same
> way regardless of the appearance of wildcards.
>
> You replied Tom as this
>
> > the behave is same - only one real identifier is allowed
>
> But the description above about this patch apparently says that
> they are differently handled. And
> expand_(schema|table)_name_patterns does the further differently
> thing from both of Tom's suggestion and what mentioned in your
> reply to that. I will mention for this topic again in this mail.
>
> # Might "only one real ident is allowed" mean "at most one
> # match", but not "exactly one match"?
>
> They do like this when strict-names.
>
>   - Not allow no match for non-wildcarded names.
>
>   - Allow no match for any wildcarded name spec and finally
>     allowing *all* of them don't match anyting.
>
> This looks to me quite confusing.

> The new name "processSQLName" looks a bit
> bogus. processSQLNameIntenral would be a name commonly seen in
> such cases.

The ocrrent name is not that but processSQLNamePatternInternal.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

I am sending a new patch - without checking wildcard chars.

Regards

Pavel

Hello,

> >> I am sending updated version. It implements new long option
> >> "--strict-names". If this option is used, then for any entered name
> >> (without any wildcard char) must be found least one object. This option has
> >> not impact on patters (has wildcards chars).

I share the same option with Tom that it should behave in same
way regardless of the appearance of wildcards.

You replied Tom as this

> the behave is same - only one real identifier is allowed

But the description above about this patch apparently says that
they are differently handled. And
expand_(schema|table)_name_patterns does the further differently
thing from both of Tom's suggestion and what mentioned in your
reply to that. I will mention for this topic again in this mail.

# Might "only one real ident is allowed" mean "at most one
# match", but not "exactly one match"?

They do like this when strict-names.

  - Not allow no match for non-wildcarded names.

  - Allow no match for any wildcarded name spec and finally
    allowing *all* of them don't match anyting.

This looks to me quite confusing.

> >>  When this option is not used,
> >> then behave is 100% same as before (with same numbers of SQL queries for -t
> >> option). It is based on Oleksandr's documentation (and lightly modified
> >> philosophy), and cleaned my previous patch. A test on wildchard existency
> >> "strcspn(cell->val, "?*")" cannot be used, because it doesn't calculate
> >> quotes (but a replace has few lines only).

The new name "processSQLName" looks a bit
bogus. processSQLNameIntenral would be a name commonly seen in
such cases.

> >> There is a possibility to remove a wildcard char test and require least
> >> one entry for patters too. But I am thinking, when somebody explicitly uses
> >> any wildcard, then he calculate with a possibility of empty result.

Why do you think so? Wild cards are usually used to glob multiple
names at once. One or more matches are expected for many or
perhaps most cases, I think. Since so, if someone anticipate that
some of his patterns have no match, I think he shouldn't specify
--strict-names option at all.

Furthermore, I don't think no one wants to use both wildcarded
and non-wildcarded name specs at once but this is a little out of
scope.

I'd like to have opinions from others about this point.

> > other variant is using --strict-names behave as default (and implement
> > negative option like --disable-strict-names or some similar).

This contradicts Josh's request. (which I'm not totally agree:p)

> Note: originally I though, we have to fix it and change the default behave.
> But with special option, we don't need it. This option in help is signal
> for user, so some is risky.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Вложения

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 07/25/2015 07:08 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> I am sending a new patch - without checking wildcard chars.

The documentation says the option is called --strict-names, while the
code has --strict-mode. I like --strict-names more, "mode" seems
redundant, and it's not clear what it's strict about.

For symmetry, it would be good to also support this option in
pg_restore. It seems even more useful there.

Can we do better than issuing a separate query for each table/schema
name? The performance of this isn't very important, but still it seems
like you could fairly easily refactor the code to avoid that. Perhaps
return an extra constant for part of the UNION to distinguish which
result row came from which pattern, and check that at least one row is
returned for each.

- Heikki

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

I am sending a new patch - without checking wildcard chars.

The documentation says the option is called --strict-names, while the code has --strict-mode. I like --strict-names more, "mode" seems redundant, and it's not clear what it's strict about.

ok

For symmetry, it would be good to also support this option in pg_restore. It seems even more useful there.

I'll do it

Can we do better than issuing a separate query for each table/schema name? The performance of this isn't very important, but still it seems like you could fairly easily refactor the code to avoid that. Perhaps return an extra constant for part of the UNION to distinguish which result row came from which pattern, and check that at least one row is returned for each.

I did few tests and for 1K tables the union is faster about 50ms, but the code is much more complex, for 10K tables, the union is significantly slower (probably due planning) 2sec x 7sec. So if we are expecting backup on not too slow network, then simple solution is winner - Postgres process simple read queries quickly.

Regards

Pavel

- Heikki

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

I am sending updated version

* strict-names everywhere
* checking table names in pg_dump simplified - not necessary to create single query
* pg_restore support

Regards

Pavel

[...]

Jim Nasby
Дата:
Implements feature:       tested, failed
Spec compliant:           not tested
Documentation:            not tested

The feature doesn't seem to work:
pg_dump -t t -t 'ii*' --strict-names
pg_dump: unrecognized option `--strict-names'
Try "pg_dump --help" for more information.
decibel@decina:[16:58]~/git/postgres/i (pg_dump-strict-names-7.patch=)$bin/p

The documentation could use some improvements.

+        <para>
+         Require that table and/or schema match at least one entity each.
+         Without any entity in the database to be dumped, an error message
+         is printed and dump is aborted.
+        </para>

Would be clearer as

Require that each schema (-n / --schema) and table (-t / --table) qualifier match at least one schema/table in the
databaseto be dumped. Note that if none of the schema/table qualifiers find matches pg_dump will generate an error even
without--strict-names.

+        <para>
+         This option has no effect on the exclude table and schema patterns
+         (and also <option>--exclude-table-data</>): not matching any entities
+         isn't considered an error.

Rewrite:
This option has no effect on -N/--exclude-schema, -T/--exclude_table or --exclude-table-date. An exclude pattern
failingto match any objects is not considered an error.

The new status of this patch is: Waiting on Author

Re: pg_dump quietly ignore missing tables - is it bug?

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

make installcheck-world:  tested, passed
Implements feature:       tested, failed
Spec compliant:           not tested
Documentation:            not tested

The feature doesn't seem to work:
pg_dump -t t -t 'ii*' --strict-names
pg_dump: unrecognized option `--strict-names'
Try "pg_dump --help" for more information.
decibel@decina:[16:58]~/git/postgres/i (pg_dump-strict-names-7.patch=)$bin/p

sorry - there was wrong strict-mode

fixed

[...]

Michael Paquier