Обсуждение: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c says this:

> /***************************** COPYRIGHT NOTICES ***********************
>
> Most of this code is directly from the Text::DoubleMetaphone perl module
> version 0.05 available from http://www.cpan.org.
> It bears this copyright notice:
>

>   Copyright 2000, Maurice Aubrey <maurice@hevanet.com>.
>   All rights reserved.
>
>   This code is based heavily on the C++ implementation by
>   Lawrence Philips and incorporates several bug fixes courtesy
>   of Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>.
>
>   This module is free software; you may redistribute it and/or
>   modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.

Is that OK? Perl is dual-licensed under the GPL and the "Artistic
License", so the question is whether the Artistic License is compatible
with the PostgreSQL license. IANAL, but I couldn't immediately figure
out what the Artistic License requires, when you pick a piece of code
and modify and embed it in another project.

- Heikki

Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c says this:
>
>> /***************************** COPYRIGHT NOTICES ***********************
>>
>> Most of this code is directly from the Text::DoubleMetaphone perl module
>> version 0.05 available from http://www.cpan.org.
>> It bears this copyright notice:
>>

>>   Copyright 2000, Maurice Aubrey <maurice@hevanet.com>.
>>   All rights reserved.
>>
>>   This code is based heavily on the C++ implementation by
>>   Lawrence Philips and incorporates several bug fixes courtesy
>>   of Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>.
>>
>>   This module is free software; you may redistribute it and/or
>>   modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.
>

> Is that OK? Perl is dual-licensed under the GPL and the "Artistic License",
> so the question is whether the Artistic License is compatible with the
> PostgreSQL license. IANAL, but I couldn't immediately figure out what the
> Artistic License requires, when you pick a piece of code and modify and
> embed it in another project.

My belief (as someone who is not a lawyer, but has spent a fair bit of
time working with them on such issues) is that it is not compatible.
The licence requires derivative works to retain the licence
properties, which have requirements that go well beyond those of our
licence, however, as you point out it's far from clear whether lifting
a piece of code would be subject to those restrictions, or be covered
by clause 8/9 (do we expose a direct interface to this functionality?)
which potentially allow the original licence to be dropped from
derivative works.

It's largely because of such uncertainties that I have been advised in
the past (by those with appropriate letters after their names) to stop
using the Artistic licence. This is why I spent nearly a year working
on changing pgAdmin to the PostgreSQL licence.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

On 02/24/2015 04:47 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
>> contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c says this:
>>
>>> /***************************** COPYRIGHT NOTICES
>>> ***********************
>>>
>>> Most of this code is directly from the Text::DoubleMetaphone
>>> perl module version 0.05 available from http://www.cpan.org. It
>>> bears this copyright notice:
>>>

>>> Copyright 2000, Maurice Aubrey <maurice@hevanet.com>. All
>>> rights reserved.
>>>
>>> This code is based heavily on the C++ implementation by
>>> Lawrence Philips and incorporates several bug fixes courtesy of
>>> Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>.
>>>
>>> This module is free software; you may redistribute it and/or
>>> modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.
>>

>> Is that OK? Perl is dual-licensed under the GPL and the "Artistic
>> License", so the question is whether the Artistic License is
>> compatible with the PostgreSQL license. IANAL, but I couldn't
>> immediately figure out what the Artistic License requires, when
>> you pick a piece of code and modify and embed it in another
>> project.
>
> My belief (as someone who is not a lawyer, but has spent a fair bit
> of time working with them on such issues) is that it is not
> compatible. The licence requires derivative works to retain the
> licence properties, which have requirements that go well beyond
> those of our licence, however, as you point out it's far from clear
> whether lifting a piece of code would be subject to those
> restrictions, or be covered by clause 8/9 (do we expose a direct
> interface to this functionality?) which potentially allow the
> original licence to be dropped from derivative works.
>
> It's largely because of such uncertainties that I have been advised
> in the past (by those with appropriate letters after their names)
> to stop using the Artistic licence. This is why I spent nearly a
> year working on changing pgAdmin to the PostgreSQL licence.

I committed this (1 July 2004), but cannot remember any details about
a license discussion. And I searched the list archives and curiously
cannot find any email at all about it either. Maybe Andrew remembers
something.

I doubt we want to rip it out without some suitable replacement -- do we?

Joe

- --
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us

Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 02/25/2015 06:59 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
> I doubt we want to rip it out without some suitable replacement -- do we?

No, probably not. I think there are a few options:

0. Find out that the current situation is OK, and the Artistic license
is not a problem the way the code is used.

1. Ask Maurice Aubrey and the other upstream authors if they would like
to re-license it under the PostgreSQL license (or another compatible
license or public domain)

2. Rip it out.

3. Rewrite it in a cleanroom fashion.

- Heikki

Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 02/25/2015 11:59 AM, Joe Conway wrote:

>> It's largely because of such uncertainties that I have been advised
>> in the past (by those with appropriate letters after their names)
>> to stop using the Artistic licence. This is why I spent nearly a
>> year working on changing pgAdmin to the PostgreSQL licence.
> I committed this (1 July 2004), but cannot remember any details about
> a license discussion. And I searched the list archives and curiously
> cannot find any email at all about it either. Maybe Andrew remembers
> something.
>
> I doubt we want to rip it out without some suitable replacement -- do we?

That's more than 10 years ago. I remember creating this for my then work
at the North Carolina State Highway Patrol and sending it to Joe, but
that's about the extent of my recollection.

If the Artistic License isn't acceptable. I guess we'd have to try to
get the code relicensed, or reimplement the function ourselves. There
are numerous implementations out there we could copy from or use as a
basis for reimplementation, including several licensed under the Apache
2.0 license - is that compatible with ours?

cheers

andrew

Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 2/25/15 4:10 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 02/25/2015 11:59 AM, Joe Conway wrote:
>>>
>>> It's largely because of such uncertainties that I have been advised
>>> in the past (by those with appropriate letters after their names)
>>> to stop using the Artistic licence. This is why I spent nearly a
>>> year working on changing pgAdmin to the PostgreSQL licence.
>> I committed this (1 July 2004), but cannot remember any details about
>> a license discussion. And I searched the list archives and curiously
>> cannot find any email at all about it either. Maybe Andrew remembers
>> something.
>>
>> I doubt we want to rip it out without some suitable replacement -- do we?
>>

> That's more than 10 years ago. I remember creating this for my then work
> at the North Carolina State Highway Patrol and sending it to Joe, but
> that's about the extent of my recollection.
>
> If the Artistic License isn't acceptable. I guess we'd have to try to
> get the code relicensed, or reimplement the function ourselves. There
> are numerous implementations out there we could copy from or use as a
> basis for reimplementation, including several licensed under the Apache
> 2.0 license - is that compatible with ours?

Perhaps a company large enough to have in-house counsel (EnterpriseDB?)
could get a quick legal opinion on the license before we start pursuing
other things? Perhaps this is just a non-issue...

Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Jim Nasby (Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com) wrote:

> >>I committed this (1 July 2004), but cannot remember any details about
> >>a license discussion. And I searched the list archives and curiously
> >>cannot find any email at all about it either. Maybe Andrew remembers
> >>something.
> >>
> >>I doubt we want to rip it out without some suitable replacement -- do we?
> >>

> >That's more than 10 years ago. I remember creating this for my then work
> >at the North Carolina State Highway Patrol and sending it to Joe, but
> >that's about the extent of my recollection.
> >
> >If the Artistic License isn't acceptable. I guess we'd have to try to
> >get the code relicensed, or reimplement the function ourselves. There
> >are numerous implementations out there we could copy from or use as a
> >basis for reimplementation, including several licensed under the Apache
> >2.0 license - is that compatible with ours?
>
> Perhaps a company large enough to have in-house counsel
> (EnterpriseDB?) could get a quick legal opinion on the license
> before we start pursuing other things? Perhaps this is just a
> non-issue...

For my 2c (IANAL), I'm not convinced that it's an issue either..  I've
certainly not heard of anyone complaining about it either, so..

That said, we could also through SPI which might get us a bit of
pro-bono work, if we really wanted to pursue this.  Just a hunch, but as
they tend to be conservative (lawyers in general), I expect the answer
we'd get is "yes, it might conflict and if you want to avoid any issues
you wouldn't include it."

To that end, I'd suggest -core simply formally ask the authors about it.
Once we have that answer, we can figure out what to do.  In my
experience, at least, it's a lot better to go that route and figure out
what the original authors really *intended* than to go get a lawyer to
weigh in on it.  One of those approaches is both free and gives a clear
answer, while the other is expensive and doesn't provide any real
certainty. :)
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 02/25/2015 06:44 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:

>>> I committed this (1 July 2004), but cannot remember any details about
>>> a license discussion. And I searched the list archives and curiously
>>> cannot find any email at all about it either. Maybe Andrew remembers
>>> something.
>>>
>>> I doubt we want to rip it out without some suitable replacement --
>>> do we?
>>>

>> That's more than 10 years ago. I remember creating this for my then work
>> at the North Carolina State Highway Patrol and sending it to Joe, but
>> that's about the extent of my recollection.
>>
>> If the Artistic License isn't acceptable. I guess we'd have to try to
>> get the code relicensed, or reimplement the function ourselves. There
>> are numerous implementations out there we could copy from or use as a
>> basis for reimplementation, including several licensed under the Apache
>> 2.0 license - is that compatible with ours?
>
> Perhaps a company large enough to have in-house counsel
> (EnterpriseDB?) could get a quick legal opinion on the license before
> we start pursuing other things? Perhaps this is just a non-issue...

The first para above was written by Dave Page, who works for EDB ....

cheers

andrew

Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Jim Nasby (Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com) wrote:

>> >That's more than 10 years ago. I remember creating this for my then work
>> >at the North Carolina State Highway Patrol and sending it to Joe, but
>> >that's about the extent of my recollection.
>> >
>> >If the Artistic License isn't acceptable. I guess we'd have to try to
>> >get the code relicensed, or reimplement the function ourselves. There
>> >are numerous implementations out there we could copy from or use as a
>> >basis for reimplementation, including several licensed under the Apache
>> >2.0 license - is that compatible with ours?
>>
>> Perhaps a company large enough to have in-house counsel
>> (EnterpriseDB?) could get a quick legal opinion on the license
>> before we start pursuing other things? Perhaps this is just a
>> non-issue...
>
> For my 2c (IANAL), I'm not convinced that it's an issue either..  I've
> certainly not heard of anyone complaining about it either, so..
>
> That said, we could also through SPI which might get us a bit of
> pro-bono work, if we really wanted to pursue this.  Just a hunch, but as
> they tend to be conservative (lawyers in general), I expect the answer
> we'd get is "yes, it might conflict and if you want to avoid any issues
> you wouldn't include it."

Exactly :), and I just had a discussion with some legal folks about
that because it has been an issue raised internally. So the boring
stuff being... The Perl License has two meanings: GPL v2.0 or Artistic
License 1.0, and there can be problems if fuzzystrmatch.so links with
something that has portions licensed as Apache v2 because Apache v2
and GPL v2.0 are incompatible, or anything who-know-what incompatible
with Apache v2. By choosing the Artistic license there are no problems
visibly, at least for the case I have been pinged about.

> To that end, I'd suggest -core simply formally ask the authors about it.
> Once we have that answer, we can figure out what to do.  In my
> experience, at least, it's a lot better to go that route and figure out
> what the original authors really *intended* than to go get a lawyer to
> weigh in on it.  One of those approaches is both free and gives a clear
> answer, while the other is expensive and doesn't provide any real
> certainty. :)

I would go this way as well, aka ask the authors and see if it is
possible to remove the license notice and keep everything licensed
under PostgreSQL license to avoid any future problems...
--
Michael

Re: contrib/fuzzystrmatch/dmetaphone.c license

Дата:
On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 08:36:49PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> >>That's more than 10 years ago. I remember creating this for my then work
> >>at the North Carolina State Highway Patrol and sending it to Joe, but
> >>that's about the extent of my recollection.
> >>
> >>If the Artistic License isn't acceptable. I guess we'd have to try to
> >>get the code relicensed, or reimplement the function ourselves. There
> >>are numerous implementations out there we could copy from or use as a
> >>basis for reimplementation, including several licensed under the Apache
> >>2.0 license - is that compatible with ours?
> >
> >Perhaps a company large enough to have in-house counsel
> >(EnterpriseDB?) could get a quick legal opinion on the license
> >before we start pursuing other things? Perhaps this is just a
> >non-issue...
>

> The first para above was written by Dave Page, who works for EDB ....

Where are we on this?

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +