Обсуждение: documentation references invalid -A assertion checks option

documentation references invalid -A assertion checks option

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
Both the documentation
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-postgres.html) and the
--help switch to postgres reference a -A switch to handle assertion
checking.   Looking at the code, I don't see any entry for -A in the
getopt string and passing -A always fails with 'invalid option'
regardless of the compile time setting.  If I'm right, either the docs
or the source need to be patched.  The question is, which one?  (I
vote to remove references to the option).

merlin

Re: documentation references invalid -A assertion checks option

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-09-22 08:43:02 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Both the documentation
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-postgres.html) and the
> --help switch to postgres reference a -A switch to handle assertion
> checking.   Looking at the code, I don't see any entry for -A in the
> getopt string and passing -A always fails with 'invalid option'
> regardless of the compile time setting.  If I'm right, either the docs
> or the source need to be patched.  The question is, which one?  (I
> vote to remove references to the option).

You're probably building master. That option has been removed (by me)
since. The 'devel' docs don't show the option anymore unless I missed a
place referencing it.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Re: documentation references invalid -A assertion checks option

Дата:
> On 2014-09-22 08:43:02 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>> Both the documentation
>> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-postgres.html) and the
>> --help switch to postgres reference a -A switch to handle assertion
>> checking.

> You're probably building master. That option has been removed (by me)
> since. The 'devel' docs don't show the option anymore unless I missed a
> place referencing it.

As Merlin says, HEAD is still doing this:

$ postgres --help
postgres is the PostgreSQL server.

Usage: postgres [OPTION]...

Re: documentation references invalid -A assertion checks option

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2014-09-22 09:58:49 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 2014-09-22 08:43:02 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> >> Both the documentation
> >> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-postgres.html) and the
> >> --help switch to postgres reference a -A switch to handle assertion
> >> checking.
>
> > You're probably building master. That option has been removed (by me)
> > since. The 'devel' docs don't show the option anymore unless I missed a
> > place referencing it.
>
> As Merlin says, HEAD is still doing this:
>
> $ postgres --help
> postgres is the PostgreSQL server.
>
> Usage:
>   postgres [OPTION]...

>   -A 1|0             enable/disable run-time assert checking

Gah, 3bdcf6a5a7555035810e2ba2b8a0fb04dc5c66b8 removed several doc
references about it, but not --help. Will fix.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services