Обсуждение: pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I found trivial mistakes in the recently added files.
>> > Will they fixed by some automated batches, or by manual?
>>
>> > - "Copyright (c) xxx-*2010*, PostgreSQL Global Development Group"
>> >   in pg_collation.h, pg_foreign_table.h, basebackup.h, syncrep.h,
>> >   pg_backup_directory.c and auth_delay.c.
>> > - "IDENTIFICATION $PostgreSQL$" in pg_collation.h, syncrep.h, and syncrep.c
>> >   Other files has their actual paths in the same place.
>>
>> It might be worth Bruce making another run of his copyright-update
>> script to fix the former problems.  As for the latter problems,
>
> I ran it just now and nothing was changed, so we are OK now.

Speaking of running scripts, I think we should run pgindent now.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

Дата:
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:

> >> It might be worth Bruce making another run of his copyright-update
> >> script to fix the former problems. ?As for the latter problems,
> >
> > I ran it just now and nothing was changed, so we are OK now.
>
> Speaking of running scripts, I think we should run pgindent now.

We usually do it during a late beta.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

Дата:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> Speaking of running scripts, I think we should run pgindent now.

> We usually do it during a late beta.

Last time we did it early and then again late, and that seemed to work
well.  I wouldn't object to a pgindent run now, but please sync with me
before you do --- I've got some heavy hacking to do on the collations
patch, and don't want to find myself trying to merge changes after a
pgindent run.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Robert Haas wrote:
> >> Speaking of running scripts, I think we should run pgindent now.
>
> > We usually do it during a late beta.
>
> Last time we did it early and then again late, and that seemed to work
> well.  I wouldn't object to a pgindent run now, but please sync with me
> before you do --- I've got some heavy hacking to do on the collations
> patch, and don't want to find myself trying to merge changes after a
> pgindent run.

Andrew needs to update the typedef list in our GIT tree first.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Robert Haas wrote:
>>> Speaking of running scripts, I think we should run pgindent now.
>
>> We usually do it during a late beta.
>
> Last time we did it early and then again late, and that seemed to work
> well.  I wouldn't object to a pgindent run now, but please sync with me
> before you do --- I've got some heavy hacking to do on the collations
> patch, and don't want to find myself trying to merge changes after a
> pgindent run.

Yeah, +1 for doing it as soon as Tom is at a good stopping point.  It
makes things a lot simpler later on.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 16:50, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>>
>>> We usually do it during a late beta.
>>
>> Last time we did it early and then again late, and that seemed to work
>> well.  I wouldn't object to a pgindent run now, but please sync with me
>> before you do --- I've got some heavy hacking to do on the collations
>> patch, and don't want to find myself trying to merge changes after a
>> pgindent run.
>
> Yeah, +1 for doing it as soon as Tom is at a good stopping point.  It
> makes things a lot simpler later on.

Agreed.

With git in play, it should be quite possible to merge with head just
before the pgindent run, then run pgindent on your local topic branch,
and then merge with head after the pgindent run - that should take
care of *most* of the conflicts, I think - as long as you use the same
typdef list.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

Дата:

> Yeah, +1 for doing it as soon as Tom is at a good stopping point.  It
> makes things a lot simpler later on.

IIRC the argument for an early pgindent run was to standardize the new
code for easier review.  I expect to be spending a whole lot of time
reading collate and SSI code over the next few weeks, so I'm in favor
of pgindent'ing that stuff first.  But I guess we need the typedef
list update before anything can happen.
        regards, tom lane

Re: pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 03/10/2011 10:33 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Bruce Momjian<bruce@momjian.us>  wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> It might be worth Bruce making another run of his copyright-update
>>> script to fix the former problems.  As for the latter problems,
>> I ran it just now and nothing was changed, so we are OK now.
> Speaking of running scripts, I think we should run pgindent now.

Please wait a few days at least. I am just setting up a new server at
this very moment (now that SL6 is released) and will get a new FBSD
buildfarm member extracting typedefs running.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> Yeah, +1 for doing it as soon as Tom is at a good stopping point.  It
>> makes things a lot simpler later on.
>
> IIRC the argument for an early pgindent run was to standardize the new
> code for easier review.  I expect to be spending a whole lot of time
> reading collate and SSI code over the next few weeks, so I'm in favor
> of pgindent'ing that stuff first.  But I guess we need the typedef
> list update before anything can happen.

That's one good reason.  Another is that this is presumably the time
of the cycle when there are the fewest outstanding patches, making it
a good time for changes that are likely to conflict with lots of other
things.

At any rate, it sounds like Andrew needs a few days to get the typedef
list together, so let's wait for that to happen and then we'll see
where we are.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I expect to be spending a whole lot of time reading collate and
> SSI code over the next few weeks, so I'm in favor of pgindent'ing
> that stuff first.

I've been running that throughout development, but it hasn't been
run after the last few changes.  If you want the SSI files in
pgindent format, you can get there by applying the attached patch.

-Kevin

Вложения

Re: pgindent (was Re: Header comments in the recently added files)

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, +1 for doing it as soon as Tom is at a good stopping point.  It
>>> makes things a lot simpler later on.
>>
>> IIRC the argument for an early pgindent run was to standardize the new
>> code for easier review.  I expect to be spending a whole lot of time
>> reading collate and SSI code over the next few weeks, so I'm in favor
>> of pgindent'ing that stuff first.  But I guess we need the typedef
>> list update before anything can happen.
>
> That's one good reason.  Another is that this is presumably the time
> of the cycle when there are the fewest outstanding patches, making it
> a good time for changes that are likely to conflict with lots of other
> things.
>
> At any rate, it sounds like Andrew needs a few days to get the typedef
> list together, so let's wait for that to happen and then we'll see
> where we are.

Andrew, any update on this?