Обсуждение: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

git cherry-pick timestamping issue

Дата:
So my first attempt at using git cherry-pick didn't go so well.
The commit in master looks like

commit ee63981c1fe26299162b9c7f1218d7e3ef802409
Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Date:   Thu Sep 23 15:34:56 2010 -0400
   Avoid sharing subpath list structure when flattening nested AppendRels.
which is the correct timestamp, but all the back-patched ones look like

commit 4e60212ab5a956bcba89cfd465f945a9c8969f27
Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Date:   Thu Sep 23 19:34:56 2010 -0400
   Avoid sharing subpath list structure when flattening nested AppendRels.

Apparently somebody's confused between local and GMT time somewhere in
there.

This is with a vanilla build of 1.7.2.3.  Anybody else see this type
of symptom?
        regards, tom lane

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Apparently somebody's confused between local and GMT time somewhere in
> there.

Ouch.  That rather sucks.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Sep 23, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Apparently somebody's confused between local and GMT time somewhere in
>> there.
>
> Ouch.  That rather sucks.

Obviously, all committers must now relocate to the UK.

Best,

David

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 23 September 2010 22:20, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Apparently somebody's confused between local and GMT time somewhere in
>>> there.
>>
>> Ouch.  That rather sucks.
>
> Obviously, all committers must now relocate to the UK.

Yes, move here.  I'll put the kettle on.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 22:22 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 23 September 2010 22:20, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:

> >> Ouch.  That rather sucks.
> >
> > Obviously, all committers must now relocate to the UK.
>
> Yes, move here.  I'll put the kettle on.

Better add some whiskey buddy... postgresql people can put it down.

/me looks hard at dpage

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

От
Abhijit Menon-Sen
Дата:
At 2010-09-23 15:52:24 -0400, tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote:

> Apparently somebody's confused between local and GMT time somewhere in
> there.
>
> This is with a vanilla build of 1.7.2.3.  Anybody else see this type
> of symptom?

Not me. I just tried various combinations of commit in one branch and
cherry-pick in another, and the timestamp stays correct in every case.

-- ams

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 23 September 2010 22:20, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:

>>> Ouch.  That rather sucks.
>>
>> Obviously, all committers must now relocate to the UK.
>
> Yes, move here.  I'll put the kettle on.

I'm not sure that's the simplest solution to the problem at hand, but
I'm game...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

Дата:
Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@toroid.org> writes:
> At 2010-09-23 15:52:24 -0400, tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote:
>> This is with a vanilla build of 1.7.2.3.  Anybody else see this type
>> of symptom?

> Not me. I just tried various combinations of commit in one branch and
> cherry-pick in another, and the timestamp stays correct in every case.

Hm.  What git version are you using?

(I see that 1.7.3 has become the "stable" release since last week,
so maybe I should update.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

От
Abhijit Menon-Sen
Дата:
At 2010-09-23 17:37:51 -0400, tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote:

> Hm.  What git version are you using?

I'm using 1.7.3, yes. It has a bunch of timezone handling changes, but
I'm not sure if there's anything related to your problem. If you don't
have TZ set in your environment, I suppose the following patch *could*
be relevant, since you're in -0400 and I'm in +0530. I haven't tried
to verify this, but if cat-file -p on your backported commit shows an
absurdly high timezone value, then that's the problem.

Anyway, try 1.7.3 and see if it helps?

-- ams

commit 9ba0f0334dd505f78e0374bbe857c5e202f5a778
Author: Jeff King <peff@peff.net>
Date:   Sun Jul 4 07:00:17 2010 -0400
   parse_date: fix signedness in timezone calculation      When no timezone is specified, we deduce the offset by
subtractingthe result of mktime from our calculated   timestamp.      However, our timestamp is stored as an unsigned
integer,  meaning we perform the subtraction as unsigned. For a   negative offset, this means we wrap to a very high
number,  and our numeric timezone is in the millions of hours. You   can see this bug by doing:         $ TZ=EST \
 GIT_AUTHOR_DATE='2010-06-01 10:00' \        git commit -a -m foo      $ git cat-file -p HEAD | grep author      author
JeffKing <peff@peff.net> 1275404416 +119304128      Instead, we should perform this subtraction as a time_t, the   same
typethat mktime returns.      Signed-off-by: Jeff King <peff@peff.net>   Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano
<gitster@pobox.com>

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of jue sep 23 17:36:07 -0400 2010:

> >> Obviously, all committers must now relocate to the UK.
> >
> > Yes, move here.  I'll put the kettle on.
>
> I'm not sure that's the simplest solution to the problem at hand, but
> I'm game...

Hey, if it comes to that, I'm game too.

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

Дата:
Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@toroid.org> writes:
> I'm using 1.7.3, yes. It has a bunch of timezone handling changes, but
> I'm not sure if there's anything related to your problem. If you don't
> have TZ set in your environment, I suppose the following patch *could*
> be relevant, since you're in -0400 and I'm in +0530. I haven't tried
> to verify this, but if cat-file -p on your backported commit shows an
> absurdly high timezone value, then that's the problem.

Well, I do keep TZ set, but anyway an update to 1.7.3 seems like a good
idea on general principles.  Will try it.

[ experiments a bit ... ]  Hm, my Fedora 13 machine isn't showing this
behavior, even though it's also 1.7.2.3 and I don't see any
possibly-related patches being carried by Fedora.  Odd.
        regards, tom lane

Re: git cherry-pick timestamping issue

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

I wrote:
> Apparently somebody's confused between local and GMT time somewhere in
> there.

For the archives' sake: this turns out to be a portability issue not
handled by the git code.  If you are running on a platform old enough
to have gmtime_r returning int rather than struct tm *, you need this
patch:

*** date.c~    Sat Sep 18 19:43:54 2010
--- date.c    Fri Sep 24 10:57:28 2010
***************
*** 406,412 ****     case '.':         now = time(NULL);         refuse_future = NULL;
!         if (gmtime_r(&now, &now_tm))             refuse_future = &now_tm;          if (num > 70) {
--- 406,412 ----     case '.':         now = time(NULL);         refuse_future = NULL;
!         if (gmtime_r(&now, &now_tm) == 0)             refuse_future = &now_tm;          if (num > 70) {
*** 469,475 ****      */     if (num >= 100000000 && nodate(tm)) {         time_t time = num;
!         if (gmtime_r(&time, tm)) {             *tm_gmt = 1;             return end - date;         }
--- 469,475 ----      */     if (num >= 100000000 && nodate(tm)) {         time_t time = num;
!         if (gmtime_r(&time, tm) == 0) {             *tm_gmt = 1;             return end - date;         }

[ /me resolves to actually run a program's regression tests before
assuming it works ]
        regards, tom lane