Обсуждение: How to generate specific WAL records?

How to generate specific WAL records?

От
Koichi Suzuki
Дата:
Hi,

Does anyone know how to generate the following WAL records from psql?

I'm now fixing pg_lesslog, which I reported a bug.   Now code is
almost okay and I'd like to add test tools to show pg_lesslog can
handle all the WAL record correctly.

XLOG_MULTIXACT_ZERO_OFF_PAGE
XLOG_MULTIXACT_ZERO_MEM_PAGE
XLOG_MULTIXACT_CREATE_ID
XLOG_HEAP_LOCK
XLOG_HEAP_INIT_PAGE
XLOG_BTREE_INSERT_META
XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE
XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_META
XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_HALF
XLOG_GIN_CREATE_PTREE
XLOG_GIN_SPLIT
XLOG_GIN_VACUUM_PAGE
XLOG_GIN_DELETE_PAGE
XLOG_GIN_DELETE_LISTPAGE
XLOG_GIST_PAGE_DELETE

So far, I'm using conventional BTREE,  btree_gin and btree_gist for
the test, as well as 2PC and savepoint.

Any information is welcome.

Thank you very much in advance;
------
Koichi Suzuki

Re: How to generate specific WAL records?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Koichi Suzuki escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to generate the following WAL records from psql?
>
> I'm now fixing pg_lesslog, which I reported a bug.   Now code is
> almost okay and I'd like to add test tools to show pg_lesslog can
> handle all the WAL record correctly.
>
> XLOG_MULTIXACT_ZERO_OFF_PAGE
> XLOG_MULTIXACT_ZERO_MEM_PAGE
> XLOG_MULTIXACT_CREATE_ID

For these, you need to do SELECT FOR SHARE of a tuple in more than one
concurrent session.

I think HEAP_LOCK is SELECT FOR UPDATE.

> XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE
> XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_META
> XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_HALF

These are caused during vacuum of a btree.  Create an index, populate
it, then remove all items.  Then vacuum twice.

Re: How to generate specific WAL records?

От
Koichi Suzuki
Дата:
Alvaro-san;

Thank you for a great advice.   I successfully generated all the WAL
records listed below.   By deleteing and VACUUMing a table with
btree_gist based index, I was successful to generate all the GIST WAL
records.

Still have the following WAL record to create:

CLOG_TRUNCATE
XLOG_HEAP_INIT_PAGE
XLOG_BTREE_INSERT_META
XLOG_GIN_CREATE_PTREE
XLOG_GIN_DELETE_PAGE

I have to run good amount of transactions before VACUUM FREEZE to
create CLOG_TRUNCATE.  I'll try.

It's very helpful if anybody knows how to generate XLOG_HEAP_INIT_PAGE
and XLOG_BTREE_INSERT_META.

I'll ask Oleg-san how to generate GIN-related WALs.

Thank you very much;
----------
Koichi Suzuki

2010/4/14 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> Koichi Suzuki escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know how to generate the following WAL records from psql?
>>
>> I'm now fixing pg_lesslog, which I reported a bug.   Now code is
>> almost okay and I'd like to add test tools to show pg_lesslog can
>> handle all the WAL record correctly.
>>
>> XLOG_MULTIXACT_ZERO_OFF_PAGE
>> XLOG_MULTIXACT_ZERO_MEM_PAGE
>> XLOG_MULTIXACT_CREATE_ID
>
> For these, you need to do SELECT FOR SHARE of a tuple in more than one
> concurrent session.
>
> I think HEAP_LOCK is SELECT FOR UPDATE.
>

>> XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE
>> XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_META
>> XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_HALF
>
> These are caused during vacuum of a btree.  Create an index, populate
> it, then remove all items.  Then vacuum twice.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Re: How to generate specific WAL records?

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 11:13 +0900, Koichi Suzuki wrote:

> Thank you for a great advice.   I successfully generated all the WAL
> records listed below.   By deleteing and VACUUMing a table with
> btree_gist based index, I was successful to generate all the GIST WAL
> records.

It would be a very useful test case to publish. There are already a
number of standby related tests, this would be very useful for general
case testing, not just for pg_lesslog.

Re: How to generate specific WAL records?

От
Koichi Suzuki
Дата:
Thanks for encouraging comment.   I'm still struggling to generate
remaing WAL records.
----------
Koichi Suzuki

2010/4/14 Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>:
> On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 11:13 +0900, Koichi Suzuki wrote:
>
>> Thank you for a great advice.   I successfully generated all the WAL
>> records listed below.   By deleteing and VACUUMing a table with
>> btree_gist based index, I was successful to generate all the GIST WAL
>> records.
>
> It would be a very useful test case to publish. There are already a
> number of standby related tests, this would be very useful for general
> case testing, not just for pg_lesslog.
>
> --
>  Simon Riggs           www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: How to generate specific WAL records?

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Koichi Suzuki <koichi.szk@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/4/14 Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>:
>> It would be a very useful test case to publish.
> I'm still struggling to generate remaing WAL records.
Sure, but when you've got it all, please share.  I'd like to see us
have a much larger set of tests than the "make check" regression
tests which would get run less frequently but test a lot more.  This
sounds like a good one to include.
-Kevin

Re: How to generate specific WAL records?

Дата:
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Koichi Suzuki <koichi.szk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2010/4/14 Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>:
>
> >> It would be a very useful test case to publish.
>
> > I'm still struggling to generate remaing WAL records.
>
> Sure, but when you've got it all, please share.  I'd like to see us
> have a much larger set of tests than the "make check" regression
> tests which would get run less frequently but test a lot more.  This
> sounds like a good one to include.

Agreed.  This test belongs in our CVS tree so we can maintain it as we
add new WAL types.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: How to generate specific WAL records?

От
Koichi Suzuki
Дата:
Now I've tested almost all WAL record, including CLOG_TRUNCATE and all
the GIST and GIN-related WALs.

I'm still struggling to find how to have XLOG_HEAP_INIT_PAGE and
XLOG_BTREE_INSERT_META.   I'm trying to find how to have these WAL
records but it's a great help if anyone suggests me how.