Обсуждение: Odd CVS revision number

Odd CVS revision number

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
I just noticed that the revision numbering for the new
src/doc/sgml/recovery-config.sgml file I added started from 2 for some
reason. The first revision was 2.1, and when I just updated it the new
revision became 2.2.

It seems to work fine, but I've never seen CVS revision numbers like
that before. Anyone have a clue what might've caused that? Will that
cause confusion?

Re: Odd CVS revision number

Дата:
> I just noticed that the revision numbering for the new
> src/doc/sgml/recovery-config.sgml file I added started from 2 for some
> reason. The first revision was 2.1, and when I just updated it the new
> revision became 2.2.

> It seems to work fine, but I've never seen CVS revision numbers like
> that before. Anyone have a clue what might've caused that? Will that
> cause confusion?

No, CVS does that sometimes.  If you root around in the manual you can
find an explanation of how it chooses the initial revision number, but
I don't recall the triggering condition offhand.  We have several other
files that have 2.x version numbers for no particular reason except CVS
felt like assigning one.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Odd CVS revision number

От
Andrew Dunstan

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I just noticed that the revision numbering for the new
> src/doc/sgml/recovery-config.sgml file I added started from 2 for some
> reason. The first revision was 2.1, and when I just updated it the new
> revision became 2.2.
>
> It seems to work fine, but I've never seen CVS revision numbers like
> that before. Anyone have a clue what might've caused that? Will that
> cause confusion?

It should be fine.
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/cvs/revisions.html> says:
   **CVS, when assigning an initial version to a new file, doesn't   always assign 1.1. Instead, it finds the highest
numberedrevision   of any file in the same directory, takes the first digit, and   assigns a revision of <digit>.1 to
newfiles. In other words, if you   have a file in the same directory that has a revision of 2.30, a new   file in that
directorywill get a revision number of 2.1, not 1.1.

For some unknown reason, we have some version 2.x files in doc/src/sgml:
<http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/doc/src/sgml/>, which is
why
you saw this.

cheers

andrew

Re: Odd CVS revision number

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> For some unknown reason, we have some version 2.x files in
> doc/src/sgml:
> <http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/doc/src/sgml/>,
> which is why
> you saw this.

Most likely, somebody incremented the rev number by hand in the dawn of
time.  Your doc also says:
It's easy to tell CVS to increment the first digit of therevision number, provided that you're setting it to
somethingequalto or greater than the highest first digit of allrevisions of all files in the same directory. Just use
the-rflag on commit. For example:

    cvs commit -r 2 <file>
where <file> currently has a revision of 1.<something>, willcheck in that file with a new revision of 2.1.