Обсуждение: Multiple parameters with the same name for functions.

Multiple parameters with the same name for functions.

От
Gevik Babakhani
Дата:
Hi,

As I was working on my code generator app, I noticed that one is able to
create a function with multiple parameters with the same name. For example:

create or replace function func_test(id integer,id varchar, id
timestamp) returns void as
$$
begin   raise notice '%',id;
end;
$$
language plpgsql;

Is this a known behavior or a bug?

Regards,
Gevik.

Re: Multiple parameters with the same name for functions.

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:

you mean this http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/xfunc-overload.html?

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Re: Multiple parameters with the same name for functions.

От
Gevik Babakhani
Дата:
No.   I meant: create function foo(PAR1 varchar, PAR1 int, PAR1 uuid).
Note PAR1

Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As I was working on my code generator app, I noticed that one is able to
>> create a function with multiple parameters with the same name. For example:
>>

> you mean this http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/xfunc-overload.html?

Re: Multiple parameters with the same name for functions.

Дата:
Gevik Babakhani <pgdev@xs4all.nl> writes:
> As I was working on my code generator app, I noticed that one is able to
> create a function with multiple parameters with the same name.

I'm pretty sure this has come up before and we concluded that
prohibiting it in CREATE FUNCTION wasn't terribly exciting.  For
instance there is no compelling reason I shouldn't be able to define

create function sum(addend int, addend int) returns ...

In the context of plpgsql specifically, it might make sense to
disallow it.  I notice that plpgsql is pretty sloppy about other
cases of conflicting declarations:

regression=# create function foo() returns void as $$
regression$# declare
regression$#   id int := 1;
regression$#   id text := 'foo';
regression$# begin
regression$#   raise notice '%', id;
regression$# end$$ language plpgsql;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "id"
LINE 4:   id text := 'foo';         ^
regression=#

OK, failure is expected, but "syntax error"?
        regards, tom lane