Обсуждение: Duplicate code in psql's \ commands

Duplicate code in psql's \ commands

От
David Fetter
Дата:
Folks,

While working on the new improved \df, I noticed a pretty major
infelicity, namely that \ commands get validated by two completely
independent code paths, namely tab-complete.c and
command.c/describe.c.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to factor the validating out as
far as possible.  This would also make it easier to make sure that tab
completion and \'s output match to the maximal reasonable extent.

Objections?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Duplicate code in psql's \ commands

Дата:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> While working on the new improved \df, I noticed a pretty major
> infelicity, namely that \ commands get validated by two completely
> independent code paths, namely tab-complete.c and
> command.c/describe.c.

Why is tab-complete doing anything that could be described as validation?

> I'm thinking it would be a good idea to factor the validating out as
> far as possible.  This would also make it easier to make sure that tab
> completion and \'s output match to the maximal reasonable extent.

I rather doubt that this will really be much of a win, but if you want
to try it as a separate patch, go ahead.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Duplicate code in psql's \ commands

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:09:48PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > While working on the new improved \df, I noticed a pretty major
> > infelicity, namely that \ commands get validated by two completely
> > independent code paths, namely tab-complete.c and
> > command.c/describe.c.
>
> Why is tab-complete doing anything that could be described as
> validation?

Using fixed-string comparisons--and this is already not quite right
for cases like \dvi--tab-complete can tell which command it's going to
complete.  That's validation as far as it goes, but what it means is
that while \d [tab] works (kinda), things like \dS [tab] don't.

> > I'm thinking it would be a good idea to factor the validating out
> > as far as possible.  This would also make it easier to make sure
> > that tab completion and \'s output match to the maximal reasonable
> > extent.
>
> I rather doubt that this will really be much of a win, but if you
> want to try it as a separate patch, go ahead.

OK :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!