Обсуждение: Regexps vs. locale

Regexps vs. locale

От
Andrew Gierth
Дата:
This came up on irc:

postgres=# show lc_ctype; lc_ctype
-------------fr_FR.UTF-8

postgres=# show server_encoding;server_encoding
-----------------UTF8
(1 row)

postgres=# select E'\303\201' ILIKE  E'\303\241';?column?
----------t
(1 row)

postgres=# select E'\303\201' ~*  E'\303\241';?column?
----------f
(1 row)

Obviously, this happens because the locale support functions in
backend/regex/regc_locale.c are (presumably intentionally) crippled so
as not to support non-ascii chars, despite all the code there using
wide chars for everything otherwise.

Why is this? It does not appear to be a documented restriction.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Re: Regexps vs. locale

Дата:
> Obviously, this happens because the locale support functions in
> backend/regex/regc_locale.c are (presumably intentionally) crippled so
> as not to support non-ascii chars, despite all the code there using
> wide chars for everything otherwise.

It's not so much intentional as that no one has gotten around to making
it work.  The difficulty is that the wide-char codes we are using might
not match what the <wctype.h> functions expect, and it's unclear what
we could do to fix that.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regexps vs. locale

От
Andrew Gierth
Дата:
> Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> writes:>> Obviously, this happens because the locale support functions
in>>backend/regex/regc_locale.c are (presumably intentionally)>> crippled so as not to support non-ascii chars, despite
allthe>> code there using wide chars for everything otherwise.

Tom> It's not so much intentional as that no one has gotten around toTom> making it work.  The difficulty is that the
wide-charcodes weTom> are using might not match what the <wctype.h> functions expect,Tom> and it's unclear what we
coulddo to fix that.

Couldn't we follow the example of lower(), and convert the string to
wchar_t using mbstowcs (rather than pg_wchar_t and pg_mb2wchar)?

This obviously requires that we have a matching lc_ctype for the
encoding, but we insist on that now anyway, no?

--
Andrew.

Re: Regexps vs. locale

Дата:
> "Tom" == Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>  Tom> It's not so much intentional as that no one has gotten around to
>  Tom> making it work.  The difficulty is that the wide-char codes we
>  Tom> are using might not match what the <wctype.h> functions expect,
>  Tom> and it's unclear what we could do to fix that.

> Couldn't we follow the example of lower(), and convert the string to
> wchar_t using mbstowcs (rather than pg_wchar_t and pg_mb2wchar)?

Possibly.  I think we did not have the char2wchar() infrastructure
when the regexp stuff was last gone over, so it might be more practical
to do that now.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Regexps vs. locale

Added to TODO:
Add ability to use case-insensitive regular expressions on multi-bytecharacters    ILIKE already works with multi-byte
characters       * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00433.php