Обсуждение: Terminating a backend

Terminating a backend

Дата:
I have an idea for this TODO item:
* Allow administrators to safely terminate individual sessions either  via an SQL function or SIGTERM  Lock table
corruptionfollowing SIGTERM of an individual backend  has been reported in 8.0.  A possible cause was fixed in 8.1, but
it is unknown whether other problems exist.  This item mostly  requires additional testing rather than of writing any
newcode.  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-08/msg00174.php

When we get the termination signal, why can't we just set a global
boolean, do a query cancel, and in the setjmp() code block check the
global and exit --- at that stage we know we have released all locks and
can exit cleanly.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Terminating a backend

Дата:
> I have an idea for this TODO item:
> When we get the termination signal, why can't we just set a global
> boolean, do a query cancel, and in the setjmp() code block check the
> global and exit --- at that stage we know we have released all locks and
> can exit cleanly.

How does that differ from what happens now?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Terminating a backend

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I have an idea for this TODO item:
> > When we get the termination signal, why can't we just set a global
> > boolean, do a query cancel, and in the setjmp() code block check the
> > global and exit --- at that stage we know we have released all locks and
> > can exit cleanly.
>
> How does that differ from what happens now?

We would _terminate_/exit, not just cancel the query.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Terminating a backend

Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have an idea for this TODO item:
>
>     * Allow administrators to safely terminate individual sessions either
>       via an SQL function or SIGTERM
>
>       Lock table corruption following SIGTERM of an individual backend
>       has been reported in 8.0.  A possible cause was fixed in 8.1, but
>       it is unknown whether other problems exist.  This item mostly
>       requires additional testing rather than of writing any new code.
>
>       http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-08/msg00174.php
>
> When we get the termination signal, why can't we just set a global
> boolean, do a query cancel, and in the setjmp() code block check the
> global and exit --- at that stage we know we have released all locks and
> can exit cleanly.

Should I add this as a TODO?  Seems so.  Tom commented in the patches
queue that it will not work but I don't understand why.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Terminating a backend

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> When we get the termination signal, why can't we just set a global
>> boolean, do a query cancel, and in the setjmp() code block check the
>> global and exit --- at that stage we know we have released all locks and
>> can exit cleanly.

> Should I add this as a TODO?  Seems so.  Tom commented in the patches
> queue that it will not work but I don't understand why.

The problem with treating it like elog(ERROR) is that you're at the
mercy of user-defined code as to whether you'll actually exit or not.
UDFs can trap elog(ERROR).
        regards, tom lane

Re: Terminating a backend

От
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> When we get the termination signal, why can't we just set a global
> >> boolean, do a query cancel, and in the setjmp() code block check the
> >> global and exit --- at that stage we know we have released all locks and
> >> can exit cleanly.
>
> > Should I add this as a TODO?  Seems so.  Tom commented in the patches
> > queue that it will not work but I don't understand why.
>
> The problem with treating it like elog(ERROR) is that you're at the
> mercy of user-defined code as to whether you'll actually exit or not.
> UDFs can trap elog(ERROR).

Well, we can punt and blame the writer of the UDF if the signal is not
timely honored.  Having something that works for 98% of the cases, can
be fixed for 1% of the remainder, and only fails in 1% (proprietary code
that cannot be fixed) is better than having nothing at all.

Re: Terminating a backend

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> When we get the termination signal, why can't we just set a global
> >> boolean, do a query cancel, and in the setjmp() code block check the
> >> global and exit --- at that stage we know we have released all locks and
> >> can exit cleanly.
>
> > Should I add this as a TODO?  Seems so.  Tom commented in the patches
> > queue that it will not work but I don't understand why.
>
> The problem with treating it like elog(ERROR) is that you're at the
> mercy of user-defined code as to whether you'll actually exit or not.
> UDFs can trap elog(ERROR).

I don't understand.  I was never considering elog(ERROR).

Right now for cancel we have:
   pqsignal(SIGINT, StatementCancelHandler);

I am suggesting we add a new fuction pg_terminate_backend() that does
everything just like cancel, but also sets a global variable that we
check in the loop where we look for the next command and if it is set,
we exit the backend.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Terminating a backend

Дата:
> I am suggesting we add a new fuction pg_terminate_backend() that does
> everything just like cancel, but also sets a global variable that we
> check in the loop where we look for the next command and if it is set,
> we exit the backend.

And if you never *get* to that loop, what have you accomplished?

Keep in mind that 99% of the excuse for people to want to use SIGTERM is
that the backend isn't responding to SIGINT.  If you've fixed things so
that SIGTERM cannot get them out of any situation that SIGINT doesn't
get them out of, I don't think it's a step forward.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Terminating a backend

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I am suggesting we add a new fuction pg_terminate_backend() that does
> > everything just like cancel, but also sets a global variable that we
> > check in the loop where we look for the next command and if it is set,
> > we exit the backend.
>
> And if you never *get* to that loop, what have you accomplished?
>
> Keep in mind that 99% of the excuse for people to want to use SIGTERM is
> that the backend isn't responding to SIGINT.  If you've fixed things so
> that SIGTERM cannot get them out of any situation that SIGINT doesn't
> get them out of, I don't think it's a step forward.

What I hear people ask is that they don't want the backend to read the
next command but to exit.  That seems like a reasonable request.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Terminating a backend

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Keep in mind that 99% of the excuse for people to want to use SIGTERM is
>> that the backend isn't responding to SIGINT.  If you've fixed things so
>> that SIGTERM cannot get them out of any situation that SIGINT doesn't
>> get them out of, I don't think it's a step forward.

> What I hear people ask is that they don't want the backend to read the
> next command but to exit.  That seems like a reasonable request.

[shrug...]  They can do that now, most of the time.  What this is about
is dealing with corner cases, and in that respect what your proposal
will do is replace soluble problems with insoluble ones.  But I suppose
I can't stop you if you're insistent.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Terminating a backend

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Keep in mind that 99% of the excuse for people to want to use SIGTERM is
> >> that the backend isn't responding to SIGINT.  If you've fixed things so
> >> that SIGTERM cannot get them out of any situation that SIGINT doesn't
> >> get them out of, I don't think it's a step forward.
>
> > What I hear people ask is that they don't want the backend to read the
> > next command but to exit.  That seems like a reasonable request.
>
> [shrug...]  They can do that now, most of the time.  What this is about
> is dealing with corner cases, and in that respect what your proposal
> will do is replace soluble problems with insoluble ones.  But I suppose
> I can't stop you if you're insistent.

I am kind of confused by your reaction to my idea.  I thought we agreed
that there was going to be no way to cleanly terminate a backend at an
arbitrary time, and I thought we were getting better at having query
cancel work in most cases, so it seems combining these two ideas that
query cancel with an immediate exit from the query loop was a perfect
solution to a feature request we get regularly.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com