Обсуждение: Required make version

Required make version

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
There is a build farm failure now because (apparently) an old make version:

http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dawn_bat&dt=2008-02-26%2019:00:01

The new amended backend linking code needs GNU make 3.80, released 2002-10-03.
Should we just require that?  I think the PARTIAL_LINKING code path should
still work without it.

Btw., the previously required version was GNU make 3.78, released 1999-09-22.
This requirement has (implicitly) existed for quite a while.

Comments?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Required make version

Дата:
> There is a build farm failure now because (apparently) an old make version:
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dawn_bat&dt=2008-02-26%2019:00:01

> The new amended backend linking code needs GNU make 3.80, released 2002-10-03.

Are you sure you've diagnosed this correctly?  I built last night with
make 3.79.1 without any obvious problem.  OTOH I haven't yet tracked
the commits you made today.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Required make version

От
Andrew Dunstan

Tom Lane wrote:

>> There is a build farm failure now because (apparently) an old make version:
>> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dawn_bat&dt=2008-02-26%2019:00:01
>>

>> The new amended backend linking code needs GNU make 3.80, released 2002-10-03.
>>

> Are you sure you've diagnosed this correctly?  I built last night with
> make 3.79.1 without any obvious problem.  OTOH I haven't yet tracked
> the commits you made today.

only objfiles.txt uses the somewhat arcane feature that is apparently
breaking dawn_bat - it is apparently not used anywhere else in our build
system.

Is that really the only way we can do it? Maybe Peter understands it but
I don't, and I'm not sure I want to invest lots of brain cells in
finding out.

cheers

andrew

Re: Required make version

Дата:
> only objfiles.txt uses the somewhat arcane feature that is apparently
> breaking dawn_bat - it is apparently not used anywhere else in our build
> system.

> Is that really the only way we can do it? Maybe Peter understands it but
> I don't, and I'm not sure I want to invest lots of brain cells in
> finding out.

Yeah, I'm not seeing why we should suddenly need a make feature we never
needed before ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Required make version

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> > only objfiles.txt uses the somewhat arcane feature that is apparently
> > breaking dawn_bat - it is apparently not used anywhere else in our build
> > system.
> >
> > Is that really the only way we can do it? Maybe Peter understands it but
> > I don't, and I'm not sure I want to invest lots of brain cells in
> > finding out.
>
> Yeah, I'm not seeing why we should suddenly need a make feature we never
> needed before ...

This was in response to your request
   BTW, why does this patch force objfiles.txt to be regenerated every time   any individual .o file is rebuilt?
Surelyit need only depend on the   specific Makefile (and maybe Makefile.global).

   I find the current behavior kind of annoying because the echo command   occupies more than a full window in some
subdirectories(eg utils/adt),   making it necessary to scroll back to see whether one's recompile of a   couple of
modifiedfiles generated any warnings.

In the original implementation, objfiles.txt needs to be regenerated every
time an .o file is rebuilt

1) to tell make to build the .o files in the first place, and
2) to rebuild postgres by looking when an objfiles.txt file has changed.

Using the order-only prerequisites feature, which is what is failing with the
old make version, solves item 1).

The alternative is your suggestion
   If the dependencies   need to stay as they are, maybe we could avoid the annoyance by having   make not print the
echocommand.

but I'm not a friend of hiding commands because you don't know what is going
on and it will come back to bite you.

So obviously, there are a few possible solutions.  We just have to pick one we
like best.

We could actually query make whether it supports order-only prerequisites and
only use the developer-optimized rules in that case.  That would mean,
however, that the optimized rules would only be used with GNU make 3.81 or
higher.  I read earlier that you use 3.79.1, so then you still wouldn't get
the behavior you want.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Required make version

Дата:
> ... This was in response to your request

> So obviously, there are a few possible solutions.  We just have to
> pick one we like best.

Check.

> We could actually query make whether it supports order-only prerequisites and
> only use the developer-optimized rules in that case.  That would mean,
> however, that the optimized rules would only be used with GNU make 3.81 or
> higher.  I read earlier that you use 3.79.1, so then you still wouldn't get
> the behavior you want.

Well, it's not that I'm unwilling to install something newer, but I
deliberately run a trailing-edge toolchain on this particular machine
as a sanity check on what we require to build.  I don't think we should
increase our build tool requirements without a fairly good reason, and
my essentially-cosmetic request doesn't seem to me to be a good enough
reason.

Of the alternatives mentioned so far, suppressing the command echo
really seems the best to me ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Required make version

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Using the order-only prerequisites feature, which is what is failing with the
> old make version, solves item 1).
>
> The alternative is your suggestion
>
>     If the dependencies
>     need to stay as they are, maybe we could avoid the annoyance by having
>     make not print the echo command.
>
> but I'm not a friend of hiding commands because you don't know what is going
> on and it will come back to bite you.

How about we use order-only prerequisite only if present, and use the
ugly or undesirable way as fallback?  I see that you can find out if
your Make version supports it by checking .FEATURES.

Re: Required make version

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> How about we use order-only prerequisite only if present, and use the
> ugly or undesirable way as fallback?  I see that you can find out if
> your Make version supports it by checking .FEATURES.

I think this can be used with a conditional like

ifneq (,$(findstring order-only,$(.FEATURES)))
endif

I am not sure I understand the problem being complained about to propose
a more specific patch.

Re: Required make version

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I think this can be used with a conditional like
>
> ifneq (,$(findstring order-only,$(.FEATURES)))
> endif

Yes, that was my thought.

--
Peter Eisentraut